Nook Color $200.00 Ebay daily deals

Now go to XDA and get a custom OC kernel ;).

Not a chance. 800 Mhz is plenty fast for current Android OS. & OC means less battery life & more heat. Neither are worth having the browser load a few milliseconds faster.

Not a chance. 800 Mhz is plenty fast for current Android OS. & OC means less battery life & more heat. Neither are worth having the browser load a few milliseconds faster.

I am reading about it atm. I haven't seen anyone complain about it causing massive battery drains or heat issues. Although most people set the machine to ondemand processing speed, so when you need 1gz speed it increases it and then drops back down to 300.

From the videos I've watched just to try to judge the difference, it seems to make scrolling and zooming a lot more fluid. But when you're dealing with a 2 month window and stuff has been progressing in the meantime, it's really hard to tell what you'll think of it without actually doing it.

And I haven't worked out quite what makes flash work and not work on my settings. I had it working, then I autonooted and did some stuff...it wouldn't load youtube at all after that. And I decided I should probably run through a restore, so I restored the machine to see how it was done....which is pretty easy. If you use CWR format and restore from factory image it probably takes 10 minutes of your actual time and like an hour to run it's course at most.

After I did all that and auto-nooted again......it's been working. So I am not sure on how to advise why flash works.

This has probably already been mentioned but keep in mind that:

The market app does not scroll properly in portrait mode, flipping to landscape makes it load the rest of the items and scroll properly. Also sometimes when you add apps that aren't gotten from the market but instead brought over on an SD card in an .apk file the Nook will block it but give you an error message that doesn't imply what's actually happening. There's a check box in the nook settings that allows you to put apps not from the market onto the Nook, but sometimes the checkbox doesn't actually save. So you have to check it and uncheck it a couple times then try again. That helped me getting setcpu onto the device.

I've also had unexplained wireless weak signals, I can disable wireless and flip it back on and it has full strength.

Some touch screen issues I mentioned earlier, I'm still keeping an eye on that to see if it seems like a manufacturing defect or if the machine is bogged down by other stuff I've done.

Had pretty good luck with dolphin browser HD.....still kinda looking around for other useful apps if anyone comes across some.

The list I've tried so far:

Alkido for ebooks, looks pretty good. I don't have many ebooks on it yet with all the changes, so I can't say yes or no to it yet.

Clock Widgets: Digital Clock Widget and DigiClock, I'll say this depends on your preference..

Dolphin Browser HD - I like it, but the gestures portion of it kinda sucks. Maybe I don't have it configured properly...but I wish it would pick up gestures without having to tap a key to tell it to pick up a gesture.

K-9 Mail - Seems to be a little more robust of an email client..it appears to be able to accept more email accounts and handle them.

Keepassdroid - Haven't gotten to try this yet, because Im trying to find a way to sync the password file between my PC and the Nook. I realize Dropbox is a way, but I don't want to dump any kind of password database out into public space if I can keep from it..since share settings can be messed up or lost.

Overdrive - Installed it to get books from library, can't comment on it's effectiveness.

SetCPU - Allows for setting ondemand uses for your CPU so it's not running full tilt all the time.

Calendar Programs - I can't tell if these things are using some sort of default calendar storage unique to Android OS or not....so far I don't like what I've seen of them. "Smooth Calendar and Calendar"

SoftKeys - This thing doesn't seem to want to run on load up anymore...trying to resolve that.

SBMX - It's a sketch book program......I actually lost it in the app listing because I downloaded as I believe Auto Desk Sketchbook and it was named SBMX in apps.

So right now I need a program that can sync up files with a windows PC..and I wouldn't mind something that can stream media from the PC...although that one seems to be something none of them really do or base it on 3G access.

I'd like to make it so when you accidentally tap the taskbar or clock in the corner it wouldn't bring up the quick settings or make it so you have to hold on it to bring them up. That thing is rather irritating since sometimes my clothes will touch the bottom of the screen and cause it to come up

Last edited:

Heat is a non issue, battery life will actually be better if you use setcpu right. The whole thing will run much smoother.

Try it for yourself before knocking it.

Posting from my NC running nookie froyo. Awesome little gadget for $200 :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heat is a non issue, battery life will actually be better if you use setcpu right. The whole thing will run much smoother.

Try it for yourself before knocking it.

i found my battery life to go down with setcpu. the cpu has it's own built in power management, you don't need a widget or an app to do it for you.

I've used SetCPU on dozens of Android devices over the past 2 years, and not once has it lessened or decreased the battery life. The beauty of the utility is that it does have a positive effect - the ugly part is that it's not going to do that by default and does require some effort on the part of the user (and I find it funny I'm saying "user" there 'cause I'm watching TRON:Legacy at this moment... don't ask) to get it working properly on the given device.

There's no really good docs for the utility either so it requires some time and research, and experimentation, to discover the best settings for your device, including the NOOKColor.

On the HD2 I owned recently, on the stock battery, using SetCPU I was able to effectively double the run time aka battery life on a single charge and still do pretty much exactly the same things I was doing before I put the utility on the HD2, from 6-8 hours of battery life to well over 15 consistently.

I'm pretty sure using it on the NOOKColor and setting it up properly will have some pretty awesome effects on battery life... just gotta get those settings in place. You cannot just install SetCPU and expect it to double the run time, or even close to it - you do have to learn how to get it working properly, which is the tough part. But once that's accomplished, boy oh boy... that's when the fun begins. ;)

i found my battery life to go down with setcpu. the cpu has it's own built in power management, you don't need a widget or an app to do it for you.

You have owned the fucking thing a week dude, at most you have had what 2 battery cycles?:rolleyes: How about using the thing long enough to even notice a drop in battery life before claiming making baseless claims...:rolleyes:

If you use setCPU RIGHT you will get MORE battery life and manage a ~40% overclock.

The best thing to improve battery life is set a profile for screen off to the lowest CPU speed the device will allow. That alone can make a MASSIVE difference in battery life.

I have no idea what case I want. They're either not what I want or they're way too expensive.

This is about the closest I've seen, but it's $31.54. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no idea what case I want. They're either not what I want or they're way too expensive.

This is about the closest I've seen, but it's $31.54. :(

Woah, thats pretty nice. Just dont go to barnes & noble to look at cases the ones they have are pretty shitty and cost a fortune.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rooted my nook last night, it is awesome.

The biggest problem, and maybe only problem I've seen so far, is that when composing a new email in the gmail app, contacts don't automatically pop up as you type in their names. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am not using softkeys at all. Can I just uninstall it? And how do you uninstall the stock apps like email, etc?

Rooted my nook last night, it is awesome.

The biggest problem, and maybe only problem I've seen so far, is that when composing a new email in the gmail app, contacts don't automatically pop up as you type in their names. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am not using softkeys at all. Can I just uninstall it? And how do you uninstall the stock apps like email, etc?

You probably dont want to uninstall softkeys. Some games and apps won't let you out without the back key that softkeys gives you....it doesn't happen often but when it does it's really irritating.

And Im still trying to figure out how to uninstall apps, it seems to work by holding them down and waiting for the edit/remove/whatever to popup..but in some cases that doesn't work. So I am not sure what that indicates if it's a locked in app that can't be removed or if Im doing something wrong by being in the wrong section trying to do that..dunno.

I dont get the love for softkeys over at XDA button savior is much nicer and can be had on the market for free.

Woah, thats pretty nice. Just dont go to barnes & noble to look at cases the ones they have are pretty shitty and cost a fortune.

My only problem with the roocase and javoedge cases is that the part where the nook slides in does not close. So there is a good chance the nook can drop out of the case if you pick it up wrong. I figured I could modify the case to fix that issue using a method someone else used punching holes and using a bungie cord. But something to keep in mind when looking at those cases....they don't close at the top/bottom however you orient the nook in there and it could drop right out.

And the roocase in particular blocks the speakers with it's stand.

Oh I have another question...

Inside Extras there's the NookColor Tools app... is there no way to go BACK once you get into that app's subcategories. Like when you're in there checking things out and/or changing things, you can't go back to the master list of things to change. Once you select a category and item to mess with, you're stuck there until reboot...?

I don't see flash in the market when I search for it, do I need another mod or am I missing something?
Flash isn't available for the android 2.1 which is what the nook runs by default. If you go to the web site and sign in you can find flash and the youtube app but they are not compatible with autonooted Nook.

Oh I have another question...

Inside Extras there's the NookColor Tools app... is there no way to go BACK once you get into that app's subcategories. Like when you're in there checking things out and/or changing things, you can't go back to the master list of things to change. Once you select a category and item to mess with, you're stuck there until reboot...?

That is why you need softkeys...it provides a back key you can use when stuff like that happens. The only other way to get out is to hit the N key to get back to the home page in most instances...

That is why you need softkeys...it provides a back key you can use when stuff like that happens. The only other way to get out is to hit the N key to get back to the home page in most instances...

Yeah, and getting to the home page doesn't back out of the category. If you go back into the nookcolor tools app, you will be on the same page you were on.

I don't want to use softkeys because I don't like the little gray circle/arrow in the middle of my screen...?

Yeah, and getting to the home page doesn't back out of the category. If you go back into the nookcolor tools app, you will be on the same page you were on.

I don't want to use softkeys because I don't like the little gray circle/arrow in the middle of my screen...?

Well you can move that circle by holding your finger on it and dragging it around. But I just tried button savior like disposed mentioned.......it adds a little arrow to the side of your screen that's very small and transparent. You can click it to bring up similar keys to softkeys. Seems like it might suite your need better.

If you rooted your nook color and have gmail, will you try this?:

Open the gmail app under Extras. Hit options -> compose. In the To: field, start typing in a contact's name.

Do options for autofill pop up? Does it put in the email address? Basically, does it act like the regular web interface?

Mine does not, and it's basically the only problem I have with my nook now. The second problem is installed apps not showing up in extras until I turn the device off and back on after downloading them.

Open the gmail app under Extras. Hit options -> compose. In the To: field, start typing in a contact's name.

Do options for autofill pop up? Does it put in the email address? Basically, does it act like the regular web interface?

Mine does not, and it's basically the only problem I have with my nook now. The second problem is installed apps not showing up in extras until I turn the device off and back on after downloading them.

Just don't use extrars to launch apps. Download a launcher and just use the folder on there. I like ADW

I opted for a sleeve for my nook.

$50 case for a $200 device seemed off to me, and this sleeve does a good job IMO.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65412132/kindle-sleeve-case-padded-blue-linen

Very pleased with it.
I don't see the practicality of a sleeve. It's more like storage than a functional case.

Do people even use the Nook's speakers? Don't they sound like junk? I imagine I'd be using headphones if I'm ever watching or listening to something with it.

The Otterbox case is super sexy, but it's $50 at Otterbox (and not in stock yet).

I don't see the practicality of a sleeve. It's more like storage than a functional case.

Do people even use the Nook's speakers? Don't they sound like junk? I imagine I'd be using headphones if I'm ever watching or listening to something with it.

The Otterbox case is super sexy, but I think it's $40 or something.

I don't really see the need for a case. I'd like it to be as thin and small as possible while in use.

I'd like a little bulk when holding it. Big hands. The Otterbox looks like it'd provide the perfect amount of bulk while still being sleek.

I don't really see the need for a case. I'd like it to be as thin and small as possible while in use.

I think everyone should have a sleeve. Look at used products on ebay, even if you take perfect care, items that were not kept in sleeves always have minor imperfections, where as if you kept a sleeve on it, you take the sleeve off and you still have a brand new looking product.

If you change launchers, does the stock nook functionality remain, like browsing and your library?

I was worried about that too, but luckily you still retain the ereader functionality. I'm using Launcher Pro, and you still get that bar at the bottom that you touch to expand the main Nook menu (library, shop, extras, etc). Also, you will have an app in the drawer named "library" that will take you directly to the books you've downloaded.

im using zeam for my launcher on the NC. I use awd for evo, but i liked zeam for the NC. You can even leave the stock nook bar and have the launcher above it. You can edit how when you click on the N you could have it take you home or hold it for nook stock,

I was worried about that too, but luckily you still retain the ereader functionality. I'm using Launcher Pro, and you still get that bar at the bottom that you touch to expand the main Nook menu (library, shop, extras, etc). Also, you will have an app in the drawer named "library" that will take you directly to the books you've downloaded.

You can even set it so if you hit home you have the option to go to the stock home screen as well. No point to ever visit that imo though.

Got it to work with tethering my transferring some scripts with adb wifi. Only thing that sucks about that is it turns off wifi every time your screen goes off but then does not turn it back on. I was able to get an app called Setting profiles Full that will fix that by setting up some profiles.

I've been looking at the xda forum about nook color home screens to get ideas for widgets and apps. But if anyone finds anything useful..please post it here.

Has anyone found anything in particular to make the touch screen more responsive? I know there's a thing on XDA about putting your nook to sleep and then waking it up with the N button and that would increase touch screen sensitivity back to normal levels. that it gets "slow" sometimes and that fixes it.

But I am having some issues along the edges of the screen in particular where stuff there will not respond to repeated taps.

There are many ways to deal with this.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ctional-auto-sync-contacts-application-3.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/6432-contacts-apps-noob-question.html

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Making_contacts_work

The last link is probably the easiest to understand. Start typing a name and it will autofill suggestions. You might need to go through the steps of reparsing the contacts list though in MS Word before you load it on the Nook Color.

Downloading the Bitzer app from the Marketplace is probably the simplest way to sync your Gmail contacts onto your Nook for use with the Gmail app.

As far as installed apps not showing up in Extras, are you using the default Nook launcher? I had that issue until I changed the homescreen launcher to Zeam.

As far as installed apps not showing up in Extras, are you using the default Nook launcher? I had that issue until I changed the homescreen launcher to Zeam.

I tried Zeam, but it kept the stock launcher too. The middle button along the bottom would still bring up the stock apps but if you went all the way to the home screen you could use the Zeam toolbar... seemed a little redundant.

I tried Zeam, but it kept the stock launcher too. The middle button along the bottom would still bring up the stock apps but if you went all the way to the home screen you could use the Zeam toolbar... seemed a little redundant.

If you go through the settings of softkeys it'll let you change the behavior of the N button and softkeys home screen button. So that when you hit home, it goes to zeam or another launcher.

I am not certain you can disable that middle default button functionality....you just gotta kinda train yourself not to hit that button unless you want to go into a more rooted version that removes it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make an SD that'll boot up the device under a setup. I seem to be missing some step somewhere. So quit on that for a bit and started just configuring the nook and trying more apps. It's OCed to 1ghz, battery life is OK but Im usually using it pretty heavily when I use it...flipping through a lot of apps and messing with widgets trying to see what I like.

I'd say I drain the battery to half in about 5-6 hours.

I rooted, but I can't install apks manually. It always says they're blocked.

Last edited:
i had that apk issue also. I unchecked the install apks rebooted then checked it again. Now i through apks in drop box and install them right there or use astro to install them. Just keep checking and unchecking the box to install apks in nook tools i believe.

i had that apk issue also. I unchecked the install apks rebooted then checked it again. Now i through apks in drop box and install them right there or use astro to install them. Just keep checking and unchecking the box to install apks in nook tools i believe.

Yep checking and unchecking the box in nook tools is the way to fix manual APK install issues.

Back