noobs guide to get more HD space

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerade

Gawd
heres the catch in the second pic, i have 2 drives (4 partitions) so u have to adjust the slider for each drive...as it defaults to 1-10% for each partition i think wasting alot of space..

2.jpg

the recycle bin by default takes 10% of each partition as well (i think thats the right %)
so just drag each partition to 0 and keep ur windows @1-2% or whatever u want
1.jpg

theres also defragging once in a while and compressing ur drive...not sure if that would speed things up or slow things down besides giving u lil more space...

as long as your recycle bin is empty, I don't think it actually uses any space no matter what you have it set as

EnderW said:
as long as your recycle bin is empty, I don't think it actually uses any space no matter what you have it set as
I'm pretty sure you're right.

System Restore and Recycle Bin DO NOT actually use the full percentage of what they are set to. Those sliders set the MAX amount of space they can use, they don't reserve it. Unless they are actually holding data, then they take up do disk space at all.

n00b :)

stevewm said:
System Restore and Recycle Bin DO NOT actually use the full percentage of what they are set to. Those sliders set the MAX amount of space they can use, they don't reserve it. Unless they are actually holding data, then they take up do disk space at all.

n00b :)
before u look in the mirror and type to me and realize u called ur self a noob, try it and ull see that it does use hd space cause i tested before and after

compslckr said:
if i were you i would worry about using less ram insted of hard drive space.

step 1) use windows classic theme
step 2) turn off all that usless monitoring stuff on the desktop
step 3) check services.msc and msconfig startup section
step 4) profit

agreed check www.blackviper.com for the services too.

powerade said:

Holy crap, I think you better worry about ram usage. I saw that your "Adv System Monitor" is reporting that you are using 643mb of ram. How many things were you running in the backround?? Running Firefox, outlook(which also opens word in the backround), winamp, and whatever else I happen to be doing; I rarely break 200mb ram usage.

t. shuffle said:
Somebody should just kill this thread, and put it out of it's misery.
no it shows the fun of ridiculing, and what not to do. BUT if he likes his setup it is HIS setup so we should all shutup..

There is nothing funnier than a noob trying to puff his chest out about some magic system tweak, and in the end, makes a ridiculous post with incorrect information.

1) Space allocated for trash and recycle isn't used, unless you delete something and leave it there.
2) your memory usage is ridiculous, unless you were in the middle of a game...which your not. I'd learn how to maintain a system before creating "tweaks" for others.
3) System Restore is worthless, and DOES take up HDD space.....kill it.

djnes said:
There is nothing funnier than a noob trying to puff his chest out about some magic system tweak, and in the end, makes a ridiculous post with incorrect information.

1) Space allocated for trash and recycle isn't used, unless you delete something and leave it there.
2) your memory usage is ridiculous, unless you were in the middle of a game...which your not. I'd learn how to maintain a system before creating "tweaks" for others.

uve come to the wrong place to inflate ur ego noob

i would know i tested before and after. U should teach ur self the programs i have running the background before u make a comment on your self being a "mem god" thinking u know how much everything uses OR what people are using

powerade said:
uve come to the wrong place to inflate ur ego noob

i would know i tested before and after. U should teach ur self the programs i have running the background before u make a comment on your self being a "mem god" thinking u know how much everything uses OR what people are using

And you should learn how to do appropriate testing before making claims of so called system tweaks. :rolleyes:

I've done some testing of my own and so far cannot reproduce your claims of increased HDD space on fresh installs of XP, XPSP1 and XPSP2. In fact in all my testing, there is ZERO gain in hard drive space by setting the recycle bin at 0% and completely disabling system restore.

Even though you can set the recycle bin at 100% of drive space, the system does not allocate that space as "used" or "reserved". Space allocated for the recycle bin is not used unless you have deleted items in them.

Also note that system restore works in much the same way. Space is not taken up until restore points are created, then and only then do they consume any space.

SJConsultant said:
And you should learn how to do appropriate testing before making claims of so called system tweaks. :rolleyes:

I've done some testing of my own and so far cannot reproduce your claims of increased HDD space on fresh installs of XP, XPSP1 and XPSP2. In fact in all my testing, there is ZERO gain in hard drive space by setting the recycle bin at 0% and completely disabling system restore.

Even though you can set the recycle bin at 100% of drive space, the system does not allocate that space as "used" or "reserved". Space allocated for the recycle bin is not used unless you have deleted items in them.

Also note that system restore works in much the same way. Space is not taken up until restore points are created, then and only then do they consume any space.

no i think u need to do some research before u press the inflate ego button

it says noob guide for a reason to help those "noobs" that have been up and running for a few months atleast. Once they have full restore points @ the allocated amount (70% will be uneeded) so they can drag it down and get more free space

not sure y the idiots are trying to start a flame war for a guide made for "noobs"

powerade said:
no i think u need to do some research before u press the inflate ego button

it says noob guide for a reason to help those "noobs" that have been up and running for a few months atleast. Once they have full restore points @ the allocated amount (70% will be uneeded) so they can drag it down and get more free space

not sure y the idiots are trying to start a flame war for a guide made for "noobs"

Since you don't know their configurations the storage space taken up by a certain percentahge will vary on each person's system. 1% on a 10GB drive is way different that 1% on a 100GB drive.

New people are not going to realize what those changes do to their systems unless you tell them in plain english. Your not helping new people out by telling them to decrease the amount of space for recycle bin or restore points since they are the ones who have a greater chance of doing something wrong with their system and *need* to restore critical system files or files they deleted. If they follow your advice, they stand a greater chance of not having those two systems work as expected.

Your only presenting the pro side of things, and none of the cons. Your so called guide lacks alot of information and needs to be polished quite a bit more.

BTW, Name calling is not needed and it only reflects your inability to intelligently present your point of view. :rolleyes:

djnes said:

I have to disagree. I would have to take my shoes off to count the number of times system restore has saved myself or one of my users from a certain reinstall after f'ing up windows. I have mine turned all the way down, (200mb on my 160gb hdd) and I still get several points I can go back to. And I have it only turned on for my system partition. All the others have it turned off.

brom42 said:
I have to disagree. I would have to take my shoes off to count the number of times system restore has saved myself or one of my users from a certain reinstall after f'ing up windows. I have mine turned all the way down, (200mb on my 160gb hdd) and I still get several points I can go back to. And I have it only turned on for my system partition. All the others have it turned off.

ty, not u but not sure y all the other dipshits try to crap a guide for NOOBS

and for the guy above u, get out of my thread if ur not gonna read what im typing. Ive asked more then one person not on the forum if it was useful and they said it was so take ur theories elsewhere

powerade said:
ty, not u but not sure y all the other dipshits try to crap a guide for NOOBS

and for the guy above u, get out of my thread if ur not gonna read what im typing. Ive asked more then one person not on the forum if it was useful and they said it was so take ur theories elsewhere

A noob guide? Your initial post is a few barely coherent sentences with images. If you were writing a guide for new people you'd make it abundently clear about what OS your tweak is for, the pros , the cons, and at least an explanation about what effects the changes do for them with a couple of examples.

I have read what you typed, I am merely pointing out some of the flaws that otherwise new people would not know about with doing your so called tweak. Your making some pretty broad generalizations that will cause people grief if they are not told of the downsides.

It's really clear that you can't do more than make weak name calling attempts. If you can't handle it when someone has a different opinion or does not agree with you, then thats your problem not mine. :rolleyes:

SJConsultant said:
A noob guide? Your initial post is a few barely coherent sentences with images. If you were writing a guide for new people you'd make it abundently clear about what OS your tweak is for, the pros , the cons, and at least an explanation about what effects the changes do for them with a couple of examples.

I have read what you typed, I am merely pointing out some of the flaws that otherwise new people would not know about with doing your so called tweak. Your making some pretty broad generalizations that will cause people grief if they are not told of the downsides.

It's really clear that you can't do more than make weak name calling attempts. If you can't handle it when someone has a different opinion or does not agree with you, then thats your problem not mine. :rolleyes:

LOL its far from my opion, if the guide was typed for u then u wouldnt be pulling shit out of ur ass like ur doing now to save ur ego. I said before a few people i talked to it helpd them out. So think back when u were a noob before u make ur self an idiot and attempt to crap a thread written for noobs ON CHRISTMAS of all days

sorry ur not having a good xmas so u try to crap useful info for other people

when u type back, dont spend so long on the spell checker k?? after all ur the one writing an english final

t. shuffle said:
Seriously. This thing is like a train wreck.
ya i agree kinda bad when we get trolls on christmas thinking they know why a guide was writen for someone else

powerade said:
LOL its far from my opion, if the guide was typed for u then u wouldnt be pulling shit out of ur ass like ur doing now to save ur ego. I said before a few people i talked to it helpd them out. So think back when u were a noob before u make ur self an idiot and attempt to crap a thread written for noobs ON CHRISTMAS of all days

sorry ur not having a good xmas so u try to crap useful info for other people

when u type back, dont spend so long on the spell checker k?? after all ur the one writing an english final

powerade said:
ya i agree kinda bad when we get trolls on christmas thinking they know why a guide was writen for someone else

I don't know what your problem is, but it seems your the one with an ego to prove. I've tried to discuss this intelligently with you on the matter and all you can do is revert to calling people names, cussing, and picking on a few typographical errors.

You sir are the one who seems to be trolling, but feel free to keep on taking shots, it only proves your inability to participate in an intelligent conversation. :p

powerade said:

Your "guide" is fucking worthles and doesn't help anyone. As several people have already pointed out, changing the size of your recycle bin doesn't give your more disk space unless you're a dumbass and store things in the recycle bin all the time.

STFU until you have something useful to say and quit trying to start a flame war with people who have been here much longer then you.

It's probably time to disprove these false claims with pictures and move on with our lives. :)

This is what my disk space used says when I set my Recycle Bin to 100%, and I refreshed the My Computer screen just to make sure.

before.jpg

And this is what happens when I dial back my Recycle Bin's allowed space to 50%.

after.jpg

Hey look! My Computer does not report any disk space used at all between the changes. It still remains at ~20 gigs of unused space.

The only thing I can really think of as to why you recovered disk space was that the Recycle Bin was not empty and had > 50 MB of stuff in it, so when you changed the amount of disk space the Bin was allowed to use, the bin had to dump off its contents.

For reference:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Recycle Bin empty
25 GB Windows partition
10 GB doc partition

I apologize for the resolutions of the screens. I just did some quick cut and pasting in Paint.

BillLeeLee said:
It's probably time to disprove these false claims with pictures and move on with our lives. :)

This is what my disk space used says when I set my Recycle Bin to 100%, and I refreshed the My Computer screen just to make sure.

And this is what happens when I dial back my Recycle Bin's allowed space to 50%.

Hey look! My Computer does not report any disk space used at all between the changes. It still remains at ~20 gigs of unused space.

The only thing I can really think of as to why you recovered disk space was that the Recycle Bin was not empty and had > 50 MB of stuff in it, so when you changed the amount of disk space the Bin was allowed to use, the bin had to dump off its contents.

For reference:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Recycle Bin empty
25 GB Windows partition
10 GB doc partition

I apologize for the resolutions of the screens. I just did some quick cut and pasting in Paint.

i pointed out earlier in the thread its for noobs who have been running for a few months atleast and will have both allocations full when its unneeded space for them

SJConsultant said:
I don't know what your problem is, but it seems your the one with an ego to prove. I've tried to discuss this intelligently with you on the matter and all you can do is revert to calling people names, cussing, and picking on a few typographical errors.

You sir are the one who seems to be trolling, but feel free to keep on taking shots, it only proves your inability to participate in an intelligent conversation. :p

refrain from looking in the mirror as u type to me. whats wrong u cant stand being WRONG can u?? i told u who it will help and y. no where did i point out any typing errors or did i cuss, i simply laughed at u to not spend so much time on the spell checker. take ur own advice and come back to troll when u feel ur worthy

EnderW said:
Your "guide" is fucking worthles and doesn't help anyone. As several people have already pointed out, changing the size of your recycle bin doesn't give your more disk space unless you're a dumbass and store things in the recycle bin all the time.

STFU until you have something useful to say and quit trying to start a flame war with people who have been here much longer then you.

are u FUCKING stupid?? it clearly states its a guide for noobs, i stated y and how it would help them and not some idiot like u who knows about basic shit like tweakui, read the entire thread before u post

powerade said:
are u FUCKING stupid?? it clearly states its a guide for noobs, i stated y and how it would help them and not some idiot like u who knows about basic shit like tweakui, read the entire thread before u post
Read the entire thread, once was enough.

This proves to me that lurking is/was a valuable experience. Try it for two or three months.

Please learn to distinguish between "for n00bs" and "by a n00b".

Mods, please delete thread as necessary.

unhappy_mage said:
Read the entire thread, once was enough.

This proves to me that lurking is/was a valuable experience. Try it for two or three months.

Please learn to distinguish between "for n00bs" and "by a n00b".

Mods, please delete thread as necessary.

u might say u have read it but u have clearly missed basic logic, might i suggest u refrain from looking in the mirror when u type to me

ur only making ur self look worse by trying to post when u havent read what ur posting on

EnderW said:
lol, I found a pic of this guy

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=845370

maybe someone can grant his request for a chop?

well im not sure if ur dumber then shit or not but post a pic of ur self before u talk out of ur ass

i wouldnt of posted it just like im not gonna take it down if i didnt want people messing with it :)

broken logic is something u should study before u come into my threads

well if u wanna make ur self look like an idiot for not reading broken logic go ahead

i made a comment about u being afraid to post ur pimply face and u proved me right on that comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back