• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Noobie to overclocking, need some help

Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
526
Ok, so I finally finished my build:

P180
Q6600
P5Q-Pro
S1283 w/ mounting kit
OCZ Plat. Rev 2 DDR800
Corsair VX550

I'd like to clock the CPU to run at 3.2, maybe 3.6 if possible. I'm planning on running Prime95 tonight for a couple of hours to see what kind of temps I get with everything stock. I did have the memory timings lowered to 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0V, but I think I might back that down since idk how to tell if that's safe for sure or not.

Is there anything I should do before I attempt to overclock? I'm completely green to this and I don't want to make any rookie mistakes and burn anything up.
 
also, should I make my memory run at a 1:1 ration even though that would downclock it unless I hit a 400Mhz FSB?

Also, even after I OC, can I enable speedstep so it doesn't run at high speeds all the time?
 
Yes you can re-enable speedstep. I don't always turn it off when OCing (mainly for screenshots really).

I would run your memory 1:1 and tighten timings. If you really don't want to underclock it then try to run at 8x400 instead of 9x350.

To check if your memory is stable you can run memtest86 and prime95's blend test. If you can pass 8+ hours of each then you should be fine.
 
I'd back off completely on the memory timings and find a decent overclock 'first'. Some people even relax the memory timings while finding the max stable overclock. And then you can play around and tighten the memory timings.

Otherwise you'll be wondering if instability is due to overly tight memory timings or an excessive overclock.
 
Is there really even a point to 1:1, I haven't noticed any difference. I'm at 400 FSB and 500 for my memory and it haven't noticed anything than from when I was 400:400
 
Back
Top