• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Noob nas question

Silver5656

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
238
so is it worth getting a premade nas such as a 4 bay synology or qnap? I'm not too worried about electricity usage (although if its a huge difference I might). Should I just build one? I know little about nases and will be doing a lot of research. I figure I could build a decent i3 computer for 500ish, cheaper than a decent 4 bay nas. my main usage will be media storage, itunes server for music and tv shows, and time machine
 
I guess it depends if you will want more than the (I guess) 8TB of storage that the 4 bay offers you. You can keep going and going with a "server" until you run out of space/ sata connectors/ ports on mobo or addin cards.

The great thing with a ready built is it just works, but that makes it also a problem later, if you want to expand. There is no room to expand it.
 
Loaded question that could take years to discuss.

Of course it's cheaper to build than buy but you have to determine what's the best solution for your situation.

If I were you I'd start my research at SmallNetBuilder to get an idea of what's avaliable in the pre-made NAS market.

I use a homebrew WHS server but there are many here that have much more knowledge than I.

Do a little research and come back!

Good Luck!
 
Back
Top