Non reference 69xx cards, when?

jhatfie

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking into replacing my 5850's xfire with 6950's, however based on what I have read on noise and heat generated with the cards in crossfire using the reference coolers, I am holding off for now.

Any word on when non reference cooled versions might start showing up?

Why won't you opt for the 6990 instead of two 6950s?

Cause the HD6990 is nothing more than a shapeless form with a name, right now. It won't even launch until next year. For all we know, nVidia might release a GTX595 in that time frame :p

The GTX 580/570 have been out for a while and they don't have any non-reference cards yet, so it may be a while

With the vapor chambers on ALL of the new cards from both teams, I don't know if the custom AIB solutions would really be much better.
You mentioned the CrossFire cooling thing which is an understandable problem.

With the vapor chambers on ALL of the new cards from both teams, I don't know if the custom AIB solutions would really be much better.
You mentioned the CrossFire cooling thing which is an understandable problem.

When my 6950 arrives we will see how much it likes water over vapor chamber :) .

Oh, right.
I must have been thinking of the 5970. It's late, gimme a break. :p

Anand has an informative page in Chinese about this. Well, it's all Greek to me.

Like some people said, it's not a guarantee, and you shouldn't expect any miracles. But Anand thinks that AMD has some lessons to learn about VLIW4, and that in some types of calculations there is efficiency and performance to be gained. Someone with more knowledge should tell us what it means.

Any word on when non reference cooled versions might start showing up?

These were just announced, so soon!!!

6970:
HD_6970.jpg

6950:
HD_6950.jpg

Custom cooler, but also maybe a custom PCB. PowerColor's site lists both to be the same length, but by the pictures the 6950. Maybe they're both just using the same sized cooler on both cards.

In those two pictures you linked the 6950 is definitely smaller from the edge of the socket connection to the back of the card.

Back