Non-Charlie: nVidia halts chipset development

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Sad day, as I loved the competition. nVidia is citing Intel to blame, over legal issues. So now it's down to the big two, since VIA doesn't count.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Chipset-Nehalem-Core-i7,8810.html
Original:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353938,00.asp

nVidia is stopping AMD socket chipset developement, too.
Not to worry, SLI is still gonna be available, after all, the X58 can (all but the cheapest), and is it likely next generation Intel chipsets will have this feature, too.

According to nVidia, it's not a full stop, just a halt, until the courts settle it "next year."

Nvidia: "We firmly believe that this market [FSB chips] has a long healthy life ahead."

I'm wondering what long and healthy life nVidia sees for FSB; intel's stopped making new chips for it, has recently pushed non FSB chips down into the upper mainstream, and will be pushing them down into the remaining lower price slots over the course of the next year. With the resulting phaseout's of core2 chips the FSB market is going to be all but dead inside of 2 years.

What I don't get is why they completely stopped AMD chipset development. AM2+/AM3 actually has a life ahead of it, and I doubt AMD is suddenly going to step in and invalidate their license. On top of that, it looks like they have no interest in licensing SLI on non-Nvidia AMD chipsets like they did with X58 and P55. Though, is it because Nvidia isn't offering it? Or because AMD isn't accepting it?

My guesses are that either NV is hurting worse than they want to admit and can't afford to do AMD dev; that they've made a deal with AMD and the next round of AMD chips will support SLI; or that Fermi will be able to do SLI without anything special in the chipset.

My guesses are that either NV is hurting worse than they want to admit and can't afford to do AMD dev; that they've made a deal with AMD and the next round of AMD chips will support SLI; or that Fermi will be able to do SLI without anything special in the chipset.

I hope so.

If dual GPU cards can, why can they not bypass the PCIe slot for chipset-less crossfire / SLI?

I couldn't care less. In fact I am quite happy bout this news. I adored my 680i until the southbridge cooked which took my one month old Q6700 with it. After that I vowed to never purchase one of their chipsets again.

Back