Nokia Android phones

Tup3x

[H]ard|Gawd
So Nokia announced Nokia 6, Nokia 5 and Nokia 3 while the top spec phones. Those aren't exactly high end but their build quality is great. What's interesting is that all Nokia phones will run stock Android and they plan to keep them up to date (monthly security updates) and provide fast updates.

These new Nokia's might be it for those who love stock Android. The high end Nokia's should be really interesting devices.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/02/nokia-6-android-hands-on-review/

I saw this announcement the other day. I like the 5 and 6 models. All would make a good budget alternative to the usual mobile players.

The only boost that will help these devices is selling them in a physical state (meaning the devices themselves) that allows for bootloader unlocking and not voiding the warranty by doing so - if they offer that, and they don't cripple them by tying 'em to carriers who will restrict such an action as unlocking the bootloader they might have a small chance of becoming a niche product for enthusiasts as that article hints at with the last few sentences comparing it to the Nexus line.

I appreciate that Nokia wants to get back in the game, so to speak, but they had their chance and they blew it - they WERE the cell phone company for so long it's not even really funny, just as BlackBerry WAS the business cellphone company and both of them just avoided getting into it with Apple and Samsung for too long to survive. I expect Nokia will probably give up a second time within 2 years, and BlackBerry just isn't going to last much longer at all. Only time will tell, I suppose, but I don't think I'm far off the target on those projections.

Nokia 6 web site
I can't recall ever seeing a cell phone manufacturer produce a video that projects this much fine taste and class. Look for 'Watch how they're made'.

Last edited:
Technically it's just HMD using Nokia's branding. LG for example could very well partner with Nokia too and make a Nokia phone. Or more realistically Foxconn just cut out the middle man. But I think the barrier is national pride.

Nokia 6 web site
I can't recall ever seeing a cell phone manufacturer produce a video that projects this much fine taste and class. Look for 'Watch how they're made'.

This is basically a riff on every Apple design video from the past few years. I mean, it's great that Nokia/HMD is paying attention to design quality for a budget phone, but this is more than a lil' familiar.

This is basically a riff on every Apple design video from the past few years. I mean, it's great that Nokia/HMD is paying attention to design quality for a budget phone, but this is more than a lil' familiar.
After reading your reply I viewed a couple of videos that were marketing Apple phones. You're right, even to the inclusion of the tooling process and the use of a Jony Ive like spokesperson.

Last edited:
Good build quality, SD card slot, Low price and stock android; looking great so far. Battery life, on the 5 and 6 at least, should be good too since hey're running 3000mAh batteries on 720p and 1080p displays. Hopefully the cameras will be decent. Software support is what will make or break these.

Nokia 6 durability test by JerryRigEverything:

About pronouncing Nokia... It's not Noukiia. It's just Nokia, exactly like ノキア.

Last edited:
Never understood this test. Who burns, bends and scratches their phone on purpose?

Never understood this test. Who burns, bends and scratches their phone on purpose?
I guess the point is if it snaps in half easily, it probably is not the most durable phone. In this case it looks like HMD phones have excellent build quality and durability.

Am glad you posted that Jerry Rig video. Speaker grills are something I've never given any attention.

I was disappointed seeing that the Nokia 6 speaker grills are composed of a flimsy fabric (1:10).
Hopefully the Nokia flagship will be fitted with metallic or hard plastic grills.

Jerry also compared it to the Pixel speaker grill "It seems to be made out of super fine cloth almost like the cloth we saw inside the Pixel" . However, in his testing he showed that it is affixed better than the Nokia. -Pixel video (1:12)

Last edited:
I like these new Nokia phones. Hope to see the fight between these new high end phones.

The Nokia 3, 5, and 6 are mid-range phones. The rumors that Nokia may be working on a forthcoming flagship phone whether that be the Nokia 8 or Nokia 9, or whatever it may be named, is generating interest.
In the meantime Nokia has hardware concerns to address.

1.png
2.png
3.png

Last edited:
A durable but otherwise generic and uninspiring ODM handset. Good job sending the Nokia logo to the factory HMD.

Looks decent but a bit over priced spec wise. Also camera appears to be sub par. I love the mono single block case and design. I want to see a mid to upper tier model aka one plus type.

My prefect phone would be the following.

SD 630 chipset
4gb ram
32gb internal with sd card support
Stock Android
Pixel quality camera
AMLOED 1080p panel edge to edge if possible and around 5.5inch
3200 to 3500 battery
Wireless charging
Finger print scanner

One can only dream

Vengance, that may be quite close to the Nokia 7, if current rumors/leaks pan out. I would expect the MSRP to be under $300 US, however it probably wont feature wireless charging or edge-to-edge display. It will also likely use an IPS LCD.

Vengance, that may be quite close to the Nokia 7, if current rumors/leaks pan out. I would expect the MSRP to be under $300 US, however it probably wont feature wireless charging or edge-to-edge display. It will also likely use an IPS LCD.
looks like based on rumors its closer to the Nokia 8. I will keep my eyes on the 7 and 8

Then bezels... Disappointing.
I don't really mind top and bottom bezels. Larger bezel makes handling better when viewing the phone horizontally. It may also be one way to cram larger battery in there. Bottom area has buttons and fingerprint scanner so I don't consider that area wasted.

Last edited:
I don't really mind top and bottom bezels. Larger bezel makes handling better when viewing the phone horizontally. It may also be one way to cram larger battery in there. Bottom area has buttons and fingerprint scanner so I don't consider that area wasted.
I agree with you, you gave good reasons why bezels serve a functional purpose. You can also include me as one who endorses installation of larger batteries.

Reactions: Tup3x
like this
Back