govindk

n00b
Hey all,

I am planning to build a SFF as my workstation with NODE 202 as my primary choice of case.
I need some guidelines or direction/recommendations for the motherboard. Here is the components I have decided:

• MO-BO:- Still wondering
  • PROC:- For now I am reusing my old 4th Gen i7 4770 - LGA 1150 (already have this with me)
  • RAM:- Vengeance 8 x 2 (already have this with me)
  • PSU:- Planing for a modular PSU, again looking for some recommendation
  • M2: Would be great if I find a MOBO that supports M2 drives
  • SSD: 250 GB Evo
Deeply appreciate any advice on helping me with this build. Yes, I am limiting myself by not upgrading to a 7th Gen proxy, but I am going to have to wait for a year to do that.

Thank you,

Regards,
-G

Hmm at one point I was having the same debate when I was wanting to bring my 4790k into a SFF case.

This seemed to be the only Z97 board I could find that was still being sold new. In no way recommending it though.

ECS Z97 Drone

Hmm. I'm guessing if you want m.2 the best you can get is m.2 pcie 2.0x4. You would most likely have to find a used Z97 ITX board somewhere though as those are probably all sold out.

You could save a lot of money and probably find a new locked chipset motherboard for your 4770. Though that would have a smaller feature set.

Best of luck!

You could get a board like this (tried finding it on the amazon-site you linked to: https://www.amazon.co.jp/GIGABYTE-LGA1150-miniITX-スタンダードシリーズ-GA-Z97N-WIFI/dp/B00K70ZL3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493415969&sr=8-2&keywords=z97+itx
Or else just search "h81 itx" or "z97 itx" and there seems to be lots of options.

I don't think you're going to find one that supports M.2 though. The CPU is 4 years old after all.

For PSU i'd definately go with either Corsair SF450 or SF600. Both should work fine with the mentioned build, and they are dead silent when you're not under load.

Time and again I need to post this: you will not feel the speed advantages of NVMe drives in everyday usage. You can benchmark it, of course you can but that's not real life. Last time I posted it on the forum chimed in about how it matters when loading 2000 40MB RAW images. Yeah. Everyday usage.

Feel like advantages happened
  1. when we got rid of swap because we had enough RAM
  2. when we got rid of spinning rust hard drives and went SSD
And... um... that's it :) ? The CPU advantages have been small and software has been countering it so I'd say this is it.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestion. It was extremely difficult to get a mobo for 4770. Either it would be notoriously expensive, or it wouldn't be available. Tokyo didn't have stock of any and due to the language barrier, I couldn't search on smaller shops.
Anyway, my only option (since I was running out of time) was to go with MSi H81i
The wire management was really tough, but somehow it was managed.

chx, the only reason I wanted an NVMe drive was to make sure I could get more disc space for my CGi works and to use less real estate within my case.

Regards,
-G

Back