NOD32 meltdown today?

dandragonrage

[H]F Junkie
All of my clients are crashing and freezing and faulting on ekrn.exe and such... anyone else having these issues today? Most of the clients are running 4.2.64 but they have been for a while now and problems today... also problems with 4.2.40 people...

Yeah bad definition updates last night...make sure everyone is at the fix, .5419 or newer and they're fine.

Been spending the past hour updating several hundred various installs out there....ugh.!

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=281038

Woo YeOlde, same thing over here, I just got everyone to 5419 and I am disabling my update mirror. Luckily 5147 and 5148 only locked down about a dozen computers and slowed network communication. My servers managed through somehow. I can't believe this happened, we have been on NOD32 for 3 months since I finally convinced the owner to switch from Norton and this happens. Thank you ESET for making me look like a total ass.. At least I minimized downtime as much as possible.

YOSC, you're gonna switch to Forefront?

LOL I take it you saw my scathing post over there...ROFL!

I'd sure like to....problem is, starting back when Eset was version 2.5..and it was excellent, light, top of the ad/spyware game....we converted 99% of our SMB clients over to it. That was back when Eset ran a "competitive upgrade" package which slashed the prices..and we converted many of our clients from Sym Corp Edition, McCrapee, Trend, etc.

Eset has since then dropped the competitive upgrade package, they've gotten a bit heavier with version 4, been averaging at least 1x bad false positive a year now...

If Microsoft allows competitive upgrades for Forefront....we will probably strongly consider it. I've seen Forefront..seems pretty good, it's not unlike MSE as far as the AV client goes. The problem is....how many clients will be willing to fork over the $$$ to have us convert them again. I don't like flip switching to new products every few years on clients....but we may strongly consider doing so...

IMO NOD32 has gotten heavier since 3.0. I can't even run the Outlook integration on the Pentium 4 + 512MB PCs we still have or it takes like 10 seconds to preview a regular text email with no attachments.

I wanted to have us buy AntiVir but they didn't respond when I sent an email asking for a dealer for it. I'll may also bring up switching to Forefront when our Eset contract is up, though we just renewed it so it won't be for a year or so. But I work in the small office of the company I work for and the rest of the company is still Symantec and I'm just worried about my boss wanting to switch back to that if I show that I don't like the software that I got him to OK the switch to before (NOD32).

Yeah 3 was a notch above 2.7..that's for sure. Just...4 hit like a ton of bricks. Lightened with 4.2 a bit..but not enough. That dang startup scan drives me nuts.

switching AV at renewal stage is easy, you just explain how your trying to give them the best every time, and that changes.

although i cant say i have had any issues with v4, although off work today...
and excluding the firewall. I dont get that part.

Didn't have that big of an issue, a lot of complaints - slow computer, no internet, the update mirrors are set to check updates every 60 minutes, most of them just told em to restart 1 time if it didn't fix, had em restart a 2nd.

Problem with Forefront is it requires a full blown SQL instance, so for a single SBS client chances are they dont have SQL running for a different program, which makes Forefront expensive up front.

I liked the product but haven't found anything to get around that. Dont want to have a few clients with forefront and the rest not.

I managed to avoid any problems with this one today. Of course, I only have three clients on ESET now, most everyone else is still running SEP. Bunch of our other offices have been switch their clients to Vipre Enterprise...

How is Vipre? Looked good but read some reviews about system stability (ironic now...)

I dunno, the other consultants seem to like it. I tried demoing it on a SBS2008 server but couldn't get it to install right and then I lost interest and never circled back around to it. I've got a larger client that has around 20 remote sites and they've been migrating to it from SAV 10.1, seems to work really well for them, automagically uninstalls SAV and deploys itself.

Problem with Forefront is it requires a full blown SQL instance, so for a single SBS client chances are they dont have SQL running for a different program, which makes Forefront expensive up front.

Are you sure it needs a full SQL license, I thought you could use Express w/ advanced services? I haven't actually done it, though. This thread is enticing me to give it a trial run.

Didn't have that big of an issue, a lot of complaints - slow computer, no internet, the update mirrors are set to check updates every 60 minutes, most of them just told em to restart 1 time if it didn't fix, had em restart a 2nd.

I liked the product but haven't found anything to get around that. Dont want to have a few clients with forefront and the rest not.

Really? I don't remember configuring it to communicate with my SQL server when I did a demo of forefront. I'm pretty sure it installs everything it needs on the machine itself, which usually means sql express like the previous poster said. I am planning on testing it again so ill confirm when I turn on my servers and install it.

Appears you can use with, and without, a database server.
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/en/us/system-requirements.aspx

database server = SQL
without database...just the collections and management server...just .NET

Sooo...the question is, what extras does the database server give you, that the basic collections and management..does not? Can assume some sort of reporting and status of all...can't tell yet with the little bit of poking around I did on the above site. Does the bare version give you some sort of status of workstations that's enough for SMB?

I dont know then, I want to try it and want to swap.

all i want to do is be able to push the antivirus and manage and update on server to deploy.

i have to see if it is in actionpack.

I see Forefront Client Security on Actionpack is that only for the clients or full package? If it is the full pckage i will be swapping clients to that, i like being a full MS shop =)

Yeah, it's Friday....and what's left of Hurricane Early will graze the coast of SE CT in a few more hours...guess I'll get some Bombay 'n Ales at the packy on the way home. :cool:

I'm jealous. I'm stuck on the phone with Symantec for an Endpoint Manager Console problem. Then I get to head out to the Pizza Ranch for a birthday party! yay!

After a little digging into this, it doesn't look like the console/management portion of Forefront will run on x64, so SBS08 is out.

The client can still be used as a stand-alone and report to the SBS Console (via the security center, just like any other AV), but there would be no remote management/updates unless you install it on a separate x86 machine.

Also, SQL integration services is needed for the database portions, so you do need a full SQL Standard or Enterprise (2005 only) license.

On the upside, Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 (now in beta) looks to be a little more compatible, but still needs SQL.

Back