NOD32 Antivirus Home Ed - $19.99 FS @ Egg

nice

my current ESET AV expires in december, im hoping for another $10 deal before then...

Just make sure you don't get AVG or Avast!. Both suck real bad.
I know AVG isn't any good but I've had extremely great results with Avast Professional edition. I get a hold of some very nasty content and it has held true perfectly. My only complaint for Avast is having marked some basic network tools as viruses, when they clearly are not at all harmful to the localhost it is protecting.

I have had Avast clean up some stuff that nothing else was able to.. So I have no problems recommending it to people who want a free AV for home. (far better than running barefoot with no AV)

Avira tops Avast Pro and it is free... I choose to use COMODOS security suite to save on resources and program conflicts.

I've only been doing the "computer tech" thing for 8-9 years and from my experience with my myriad of clients any test that ranks Mcafee as good makes me uneasy. I tried Nod32 out recently and I like it... Thanks OP.

Avira does have annoying notices even when you block the notify.exe from connecting to the internet...

If you're looking for a new Antimalware solution, I suggest making due to until Microsoft Security Essentials ships. (Morro) As the av-comparitives show, Microsoft got Advanced+ the highest rating from their website. ;)

Yes, some call me biased...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Interesting. As far as anti-virus performance is concerned, their results don't seem to match AV-Comparative's results at all:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Which ranks ESET within the top 4, and higher than Avira.

That proactive/heuristic comparative does show ESET in 4th - but it shows Avira in 1st, just speaking as far as raw detection rates goes. Ditto for the on-demand scan, where Avira's at 99.7% detection vs. NOD32 at 97.x%.

Avira got dinged for false positives more than anything else.

if you practice safe browsing/downloading then basically any AV suite will suffice(excluding norton, mcafee, and avg). :p

if you practice safe browsing/downloading then basically any AV suite will suffice(excluding norton, mcafee, and avg). :p

Seems like the average user now are more audacious and tread into the dangerous waters. :cool:

Don't know why Universities sign McAfee when you can get good 'free' Anti-virus programs like Avira. Just ignore the policy statement on install. :) The workers just like to have good 'personal use' protection and they are doing for themselves and not the company.

Don't forget to download the 4.0 version from the website after you register. The 4.0 version can be run in native 64bit.

I actually really like the latest revisions of norton more than nod32. Mcafee can die in a fire though.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I was a faithful user of AVG till it let one through that destroyed my system. (I never seen a virus so nasty). I figured at that point, maybe it was too popular for its own good. That seems to be the key lately. Get the AV software that isn't on the front page, because it gets targeted by writers and bypassed.

Interesting. As far as anti-virus performance is concerned, their results don't seem to match AV-Comparative's results at all:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Which ranks ESET within the top 4, and higher than Avira.

Yes but in the results Avira had the highest detection rate, 69% versus Eset's 56%. NOD32, however, had a lower false positive rate helping it achieve the higher rating.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf

Back