Nobody at E3 could beat boss in Dark Souls 2 demo

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
http://games.on.net/2013/06/dont-worry-dark-souls-2-is-harder-than-ever-our-hands-on-e3-report/

Recently, there has been some concern among Dark Souls fans as to whether its sequel will be “dumbed down”, or made easier for new fans won over by the first game.

Consider this. On the show floor at E3 today, games.on.net had access to a hands-on demonstration of the game. The final portion of this demo contained a boss called the Mirror Knight, a hugely powerful enemy.

By the end of the conference’s second day, not one journalist — out of the hundreds of thousands attending — had managed to beat this boss.

We certainly tried, and failed. So make no mistake, this is Dark Souls at its finest.

...Good news? :D

Good news if this report was from random fans of the series, and not "games journalists" who gets paid to write nonsensical reviews.

The game Dev said they made it more difficult. When I heard that I had a oh shit moment.

100k/3days/10hrs = 3333 people attempting the boss per hour

my concern is that the corporate mentality is going to ruin the game. example, low budget & expectations, 3.5 million in sales = wonderfully successful

corporate mentality: lets throw 10x the budget for effects, platforms and advertising, we will make 10x the $$MONEY$$

then if it doesn't happen they call it a failure. Really I think the game might be a bit of a niche product. look at the best selling crap. regenerating health, easy mode, etc. that is not this game.

What makes the game so hard? Never played it. Was it just hard to concentrate there maybe? Or is it unfairly hard for some reason?

What makes the game so hard? Never played it. Was it just hard to concentrate there maybe? Or is it unfairly hard for some reason?

Many games now have assists and easy ai settings and such it just has a difficulty that is unassisted and unforgiving. It's good hard fun though.

essentially you have to learn the enemies moves in order to be effective. leveling up does not make you all powerful. heavy armor will only allow you to take a couple of extra hits. 10 different classes of weapons with different moves and advantages/negatives. once you know sections you can pretty much run through them, learning the sections however is much more challenging. Some bosses are so hard that beating them is very satisfying in a way like no other game provides.

I love hard dificult games. Right now I can't stop playing Hotline Miami...

Good news, I do hope for a harder experience since some of the area's in Dark Souls 1 were far too easy in my opinion.

I wouldn't take this to mean much of anything...first off a lot of these journalists are not hard core gamers...next the game relies on players dying and learning from their mistakes, so each boss requires a learning curve to understand his movements and reactions...finally, the developers stated that at E3 (2011?) when the original Dark Souls was previewed that a lot of journalists were able to beat the mini-boss (armored boar), so they purposely showed a much tougher boss this time around that could not be beaten so easily

for all we know this Mirror Knight might be the toughest boss in the game...sort of like if they made Ornstein and Smough or Capra Demon playable at E3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youn View Post

It brutally punishes players' mistakes.

Yes the combat is hard in that way. Any enemy can kill you at any time, especially if they surround you or get you cornered. All opponents require caution and study, and if you misjudge them or become careless - even for a moment- it's probably game over.

But not only is the combat hard but the environment is out to get you as well. Precipice's abound, poison swamps, environmental traps. Wading through waist high water slows movement way down either while running or during combat. Mimic walls that are easy to miss hide important stuff. Anything the devs could think of to do that makes the environment a challenge they've done.

Then there is the gameplay itself. Figuring out what to do, where to go, how to upgrade weapons and armor, making sense of the story. Nothing is spelled out or made obvious, you have to unravel it all. Most people use the wiki just to keep from being lost or dumfounded for hours.

So yea Dark Souls is a hard game. Hardest game I have ever played, harder even than Ninja Gaiden, but in different ways.

I love hard dificult games. Right now I can't stop playing Hotline Miami...

That's difficult. I have a better chance driving to those address myself and completing the challenge in real life, than to complete the last few levels in game.

There was one guy who did it, was mentioned on the GB stream yesterday (end of day 3).

He's said to have had his photograph posted to their facebook feed so should be possible to verify.

100k/3days/10hrs = 3333 people attempting the boss per hour

my concern is that the corporate mentality is going to ruin the game. example, low budget & expectations, 3.5 million in sales = wonderfully successful

corporate mentality: lets throw 10x the budget for effects, platforms and advertising, we will make 10x the $$MONEY$$

then if it doesn't happen they call it a failure. Really I think the game might be a bit of a niche product. look at the best selling crap. regenerating health, easy mode, etc. that is not this game.
Both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls sold over 2 million, each. Which I think means it's more than a niche!

So far, the extra money and closer partnership with Namco Bandai has not seemed to intrude over the core elements that fans want from this series. Me personally, my only blatant issue so far is that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls both had a lot of variety and color in it's locales and visuals. So far, everything shown for Dark Souls 2 has been blue and orange (See: every mainstream hollywood movie for the past 8 years). It actually looks to me like the visuals are first made in black and white, and then they colored everything in with blue and orange. It's THAT bad...

I'm in the "that means nothing" camp. Journalists are generally not good at playing games, they just rush through them to spew crap out of their mouths. I bet none of them put significant time into DS1. Also, "hundreds of thousands" is a blatant lie.

From watching reviews featuring gameplay, I can see a reason why they didn't. Most of them are teeerrible at games! :D

(though it's a rather obvious move, especially as Dark Souls really isn't that hard, just a memory exercise)

I'm in the "that means nothing" camp. Journalists are generally not good at playing games, they just rush through them to spew crap out of their mouths. I bet none of them put significant time into DS1. Also, "hundreds of thousands" is a blatant lie.

Many journalists had to finish the game for their reviews, and they didn't have the benefit of youtube or walkthroughs. All they had to go on was a "chain of pain" email that went around a bunch of them with hints, tips and shared misery.

And also, "hundreds of thousands" is in reference to those who attended E3, not how many tried the demo. Try reading the OP properly next time.

Back