no video signal issue

jobert

Gawd
So I had this weird issue yesterday where I tried to turn on the computer and there was no signal going to the monitor. So of course I turned the computer back off and try turning it on again and then I tried a different DisplayPort a couple of times and still no signal. I then unplugged the computer for a few minutes plugged it back in and the signal came back. There was one other time on this video card about a month ago where there was no signal but just rebooting it made it work. And also even on my previous video card a few months ago it also happened one time where there was no video signal but rebooting it fixed it. So I don't think it's the actual video card but it was strange this time that a simple reboot didn't make it work again and had to fully unplug the computer and plug it back in.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
list your specs but i would look at psu first, since a power drain fixes it and it has happened with two gpus.

jobert

Gawd
list your specs but i would look at psu first, since a power drain fixes it and it has happened with two gpus.
I'm using an RTX 2080 TI and one of the new seasonic gx 1000 watt focus power supplies.

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Is the CPU or memory overlclocked at all? A situation where you get no video doesn't necessarily imply a problem with the graphics card. I'd more inclined to expect an overly hamfisted set of overclocking settings.

jobert

Gawd
have another psu to test with? to rule it out. furious' mobo q is good, same one, which one?
Well first off it would be a nightmare to change out the power supply. But the main reason on top of that is that this is only happened on three occasions in the last 6 or so months and could be weeks or months before it ever happens again. Plus I'm not 100% sure that when it happened on my previous GPU that I might have been using a different power supply anyway. Basically I swapped out the power supply when I bought a new case in December and I can't remember for certain if the first time this happened was before December.

jobert

Gawd
Is the CPU or memory overlclocked at all? A situation where you get no video doesn't necessarily imply a problem with the graphics card. I'd more inclined to expect an overly hamfisted set of overclocking settings.
Nothing is overclocked. And I don't think it is the video card which is why I said it happened on the previous GPU also.

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Nothing is overclocked. And I don't think it is the video card which is why I said it happened on the previous GPU also.
Are you using XMP (or whatever the AMD equivalent is)? I have a motherboard/cpu/memory combination that will work properly for weeks with just XMP turned on, and then every once in a while, it will absolutely refuse to POST until the motherboard gives up and clears the CMOS on its own. Then, it will work for weeks and weeks again if I just turn XMP back on.

Also related, what model motherboard is this?

jobert

Gawd
Are you using XMP (or whatever the AMD equivalent is)? I have a motherboard/cpu/memory combination that will work properly for weeks with just XMP turned on, and then every once in a while, it will absolutely refuse to POST until the motherboard gives up and clears the CMOS on its own. Then, it will work for weeks and weeks again if I just turn XMP back on.

Also related, what model motherboard is this?
Yes I'm using XMP. MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC is the motherboard.

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Disappointed at nobody going for the easy stuff first...

Make and model of the monitor?
How old is the monitor?
Have a different DisplayPort cable to test with?
Try plugging the DP cable into a different output.
If your monitor has a "deep sleep" setting for the DisplayPort inputs, try disabling it.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]

How old is the monitor?
If your monitor has a "deep sleep" setting for the DisplayPort inputs, try disabling it.
i did ask for specs but only got psu and gpu...
and now that he said its only happened twice in 6 months, i wonder if it really is an issue.

jobert

Gawd

How old is the monitor?
Acer CB271HU 27" 1440p and it's about a year and a half old. And I already mentioned that I tried using a different display port. I do not have another cable but again this is such a random issue that if I was using another cable I'll still wouldn't know if that was the problem for several weeks or months.

jobert

Gawd
i did ask for specs but only got psu and gpu...
and now that he said its only happened twice in 6 months, i wonder if it really is an issue.
Well three times in about 6 months. One time on the previous GPU and then two times in about the last two or three months on this current GPU. And again this time just bothered me more because even trying to reboot four times did not fix it where a simple reboot fixed it the other two times it happened.

Well three times in about 6 months. One time on the previous GPU and then two times in about the last two or three months on this current GPU. And again this time just bothered me more because even trying to reboot four times did not fix it where a simple reboot fixed it the other two times it happened.
Ever updated the mobo bios? I would be concerned because it's quite possible the next time or perhaps the one after that you won't be able to get a video signal at all.

and test the battery too...
Agreed, no reason not to check, although that board is pretty recent so it should be good. That board comes with the diagnostic LEDs I believe, so next time it happens you might want to check if you're getting stuck on "VGA" or if it's passing that check and booting to OS even with no monitor signal.

jobert

Gawd
Ever updated the mobo bios? I would be concerned because it's quite possible the next time or perhaps the one after that you won't be able to get a video signal at all.
Would the BIOS really matter as it's never even registering a signal at all when it does this? Either way it has the newest BIOS on here from a few months ago. And the motherboard is less than 2 years old so that have to be one heck of a defective battery.

Would the BIOS really matter as it's never even registering a signal at all when it does this? Either way it has the newest BIOS on here from a few months ago. And the motherboard is less than 2 years old so that have to be one heck of a defective battery.
Yeah it does matter. Weird stuff can happen over time and often a cmos clear takes care of the problem. I've had lots of boards need a bios re-flash to get them working right again.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
and ive seen plenty of batteries cause issues, regardless of what others say, it doesnt retain settings correctly and things glitch out. its a cheap and easy potential fix.