No thread about the framework laptop?

Got linked to it by a co-worker. Interested in the future mainboard upgrade pricing.

lol, $749 with i5, no ram, no wifi, no hdd, no OS.

No thanks.

Being able to upgrade the mainboard is a clever idea, but a high cost would render it pointless. This is definitely a "check back in a few years" company to me.

lol, $749 with i5, no ram, no wifi, no hdd, no OS.

No thanks.

Being able to upgrade the mainboard is a clever idea, but a high cost would render it pointless. This is definitely a "check back in a few years" company to me.
This is not the laptop for those wanting a 499 laptop. You are paying for a tiny firm, to compete with the likes of Dell and HP and change the game. This is for those who want to invest in the future, invest in a company that can hopefully grow, and prove this idea can work.

If ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc. started making motherboards for it, and the form factor became a standard (call it nano-ATX?) this thing would become a whole lot more interesting than it presently is.

If ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc. started making motherboards for it, and the form factor became a standard (call it nano-ATX?) this thing would become a whole lot more interesting than it presently is.
That could happen *IF* the sales were there to show the rest of the Industry that we actually care about something like this.

saw this last week, thought there would be one too. seems interesting. i like the repairability.

The layout is indeed very nicely put together.

For me, personally, the 15mm thickness actually means it won't be as upgradable as it could be if it were, well, thicker.
I know the thin devices have an appeal these days, but from a tinkering standpoint - no.
I might be missing something.

The problem is this is near a ultrabooks form factor.

When I buy a laptop in that form factor I want to do be light, fairly durable, and have a decent battery. The only parts I expect to be upgradable are the storage and memory. Amds apus seem to work pretty well for this application and are a whole heck of a lot cheaper then this junk.

If I'm buying a mobile workstation then I may be interested in ease of upgrades but this laptop is the wrong way to go about that.

I have a sager p750zm. Big brick of a laptop, heafty, and constructed very well. It looks new after 5+ years (I cant say the same about my ultrabooks). This laptop has remained useful for so long as it takes socketed desktop 1150 cpus. A overclocked 4790k can still hold it's own to every laptop and many desktops. It runs 32gb of ram has 2 sata ssd slots and 2 pcie m.2. In addition a mxm GPU that can be switched however mxm compatibility is its own problem.

its built primarily for repairability and then some upgradeability, so yes there are limits.

This is not the laptop for those wanting a 499 laptop. You are paying for a tiny firm, to compete with the likes of Dell and HP and change the game. This is for those who want to invest in the future, invest in a company that can hopefully grow, and prove this idea can work.
Lol it's not even a laptop for people looking for $1000 computers. Their cheapest ready to go option is $1000 with specs comparable to a $600 laptop from competitors.

This is straight up a laptop for people who believe in the cause and want to change the world. I get it, but that's not me.... I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail. I've never had a customer come to me and ask, "Hey, can you recommend a cool, innovative laptop, that is easy to repair, eco friendly, and upgradable? I don't mind if it costs significantly more than similar performing laptops."

Starting with the borderline Ultrabook market first is an odd choice too. Their targeting a demographic that typically doesn't need to upgrade hardware frequently. It seems like their upgradability shtick would be a much bigger deal in the mobile workstation \ gaming segments.

I'm not saying they aren't cool or interesting. I'm just not sure there's as much demand for their product as they think there is.

Lol it's not even a laptop for people looking for $1000 computers. Their cheapest ready to go option is $1000 with specs comparable to a $600 laptop from competitors.

This is straight up a laptop for people who believe in the cause and want to change the world. I get it, but that's not me.... I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail. I've never had a customer come to me and ask, "Hey, can you recommend a cool, innovative laptop, that is easy to repair, eco friendly, and upgradable? I don't mind if it costs significantly more than similar performing laptops."

Starting with the borderline Ultrabook market first is an odd choice too. Their targeting a demographic that typically doesn't need to upgrade hardware frequently. It seems like their upgradability shtick would be a much bigger deal in the mobile workstation \ gaming segments.

I'm not saying they aren't cool or interesting. I'm just not sure there's as much demand for their product as they think there is.
Upgradability generally requires industry support and standards. Unfortunately the way they are doing it is to just sell there own proprietary hardware. Normally the whole main board for a ultrabooks can be switched out for a cpu upgrade, on common laptops they can be found for reasonably cheap. Perhaps even cheaper then proprietary upgrades controlled by this one company.

I would have preferred a manufacturer to take a stand on the mobile workstation front stuffing as many standardized desktop parts into a laptop as possible. Those are the laptops people will end up running for awhile as opposed to most ultrabooks which are ultimately disposable and replaceable due to designs necessary for the form factor.

I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail.
If it fails its because there is no demand. If there is no demand, then ultimately it will be the shitty masses of which you speak, that will ruin it, like always.

Keyboard reminds of the cheap Asus laptops, same overall design style too. I'm not really seeing anything that impresses me, except the concept. Hopefully it will evolve into something amazing.

Last edited:
No idea why they couldn't have gone with the higher cost "power user/gamer" market to start. Would've been a better start IMO since MXM was always available but never took off, so that's an "easy win" right there, and power users/gamers are the ones that have the need, the willingness, the monetary capability and the knowledge for this stuff.

Going for the Dell XPS crowd is a bad move IMO. They're the ones most sticky to their laptops, and can end up using the same one for years until something break. They're the ones who most need the traditional OEMs because they can actually take advantage of that 5+ years warranty.

I would've definitely been interested in a gaming laptop where you have the ability to drop-in upgrade the CPU and GPU, or even just the GPU. Pair a 5800H with a 3060/3070 130W for this year, and a few years down the road grab a x060/x070 module and drop it in for another 2-3 years of decent gaming for the cheap.

No idea why they couldn't have gone with the higher cost "power user/gamer" market to start. Would've been a better start IMO since MXM was always available but never took off, so that's an "easy win" right there, and power users/gamers are the ones that have the need, the willingness, the monetary capability and the knowledge for this stuff.

Going for the Dell XPS crowd is a bad move IMO. They're the ones most sticky to their laptops, and can end up using the same one for years until something break. They're the ones who most need the traditional OEMs because they can actually take advantage of that 5+ years warranty.

I would've definitely been interested in a gaming laptop where you have the ability to drop-in upgrade the CPU and GPU, or even just the GPU. Pair a 5800H with a 3060/3070 130W for this year, and a few years down the road grab a x060/x070 module and drop it in for another 2-3 years of decent gaming for the cheap.
I'm guessing that availability of GPUs, including laptop GPUs, probably has something to do with it.

Just ordered mine here in the UK. Ordered without the SSD and ram so I can pop my own choice in and I have enough Windows keys floating around.

As for expansion I ordered two USB C and two USB A as I never plug monitors etc. into my laptop. And if I ever need to...I can just order the port!

Should arrive in a few weeks.

It would be really cool if these became a thing to open up a building space between laptops and sff desktops. It makes a lot of sense to include a built-in screen and keyboard with an APU-based barebones setup as well (love the Pi 400, too). Yeah the cost will be higher as its such a niche category but its exciting and I hope it leads to a legit market category for repairable/tunable/upgradeable laptops.

It would be really cool if these became a thing to open up a building space between laptops and sff desktops. It makes a lot of sense to include a built-in screen and keyboard with an APU-based barebones setup as well (love the Pi 400, too). Yeah the cost will be higher as its such a niche category but its exciting and I hope it leads to a legit market category for repairable/tunable/upgradeable laptops.
If they make a Ryzen 6000 series APU based version, it could be really decent at low res gaming.

Just ordered mine here in the UK. Ordered without the SSD and ram so I can pop my own choice in and I have enough Windows keys floating around.

As for expansion I ordered two USB C and two USB A as I never plug monitors etc. into my laptop. And if I ever need to...I can just order the port!

Should arrive in a few weeks.
My current laptop is starting to bluescreen on the regular. Might be time to order mine. How has yours been so far?

My current laptop is starting to bluescreen on the regular. Might be time to order mine. How has yours been so far?

Currently Framework are low volume so they build in batches. I am Batch 8 which ships end of this month. I got my "things are being put together" email a few days ago.

Can't wait to put my 1TB WD SN850 and Kingston Fury ram in it. Had them sitting on my desk for 6 weeks or more.

I will report when it arrives.

Currently Framework are low volume so they build in batches. I am Batch 8 which ships end of this month. I got my "things are being put together" email a few days ago.

Can't wait to put my 1TB WD SN850 and Kingston Fury ram in it. Had them sitting on my desk for 6 weeks or more.

Oh damn. I didn't realize the ship time was so long.

In the US it says ships within one week. I wonder if it's a delay because you're a UK buyer?

In the US it says ships within one week. I wonder if it's a delay because you're a UK buyer?

No as they are a small batch builder they are now supplying the UK and Germany. Kind of like how OnePlus used to sell by invite only. So the UK and Germany orders are the first and a new distribution network. Remember its all new keyboards, regulations and shipping etc. Also remember every single laptop order is custom due to the amount of options available.

Things will get faster but currently they are all made to specific order in batches. I ordered mine December 17th. They tell you all this when you go to order so it's no surprise.

The price you pay for dealing in a new small company with a new approach. It is a good job I wasn't desperate for a new laptop. Still looking forward to getting it.

No as they are a small batch builder they are now supplying the UK and Germany. Kind of like how OnePlus used to sell by invite only. So the UK and Germany orders are the first and a new distribution network. Remember its all new keyboards, regulations and shipping etc. Also remember every single laptop order is custom due to the amount of options available.

Things will get faster but currently they are all made to specific order in batches. I ordered mine December 17th. They tell you all this when you go to order so it's no surprise.
ahh, got it.

I got a email today to say my laptop is getting ready to ship. My credit card has been charged. Hopefully next week...

I ordered my base model DIY yesterday on the US holiday. By the evening I got the notification that it should ship today. Going to head to microcenter in the next few days to pick up 16GB of memory and a 500GB NVME for it. Felt good investing in this company's future. Worth it, IMO, even if there is a premium over regular laptops.

Oh man! Mine came in today and I friggin LOVE IT. I got the base DIY model, which is the i5. Still a quad core in the 11 series from Intel. As far as I can tell all I lost was some boost frequency and 8MB L3 instead of 12. Plenty for my laptop, that literally is for email, youtube, and couch surfing.

The fit and finish is great, all aluminum. Just 5 screws gets you inside. I also found out today that ALL the ports are USB and Thunderbolt compatible if you have the USB C module in the bay. Really useful for a laptop.

I put in 16GB of G-Skill 2666Mhz DDR4 from Microcenter. Best DDR4 so-dimms they had the day I was there. I also threw in a Samsung 980 (non-pro) 500GB NVME.

Installed Windows 10, and then the framework driver package is a single installer that batch installs all the necessary driver packages. I really do like this thing.

If you're in the market for a laptop and can afford a few hundred bucks premium over a Dell or an HP, do it. Don't even hesitate. I wish my older laptop had died sooner so I could have had this thing already.

Last edited:
Mine is in transit. Should arrive this week. I got a SN850 1TB and a 16GB of 1.2v DDR4 3200 CAS20 to go in it.

I checked it out because of this post, but it seems underwhelming. Are they going to sell upgrade mainboards in the future?

Looks like a good laptop, but I don't get the draw. It doesn't really look more serviceable than say a random thinkbook.

I checked it out because of this post, but it seems underwhelming. Are they going to sell upgrade mainboards in the future?

Looks like a good laptop, but I don't get the draw. It doesn't really look more serviceable than say a random thinkbook.
Yes, the motherboard is modular. New versions are in the works. Now I can't promise that an AMD board will be for this chassis in the future. This is a productivity notebook for the DIYer.

Have you opened a modern notebook? It used to be that they had access ports for RAM, HDD, and removable batteries. Almost none do anymore. This thing, you undo 5 screws, the keyboard pops off with magnets and anything can be replaced. Speakers, Screen hinges, you name it. Watch any of the videos on youtube for it. It's not a "value" laptop. Can't be, too small a company. They don't have the economies of scale that Dell and HP do. This is about supporting a company that hopefully will change the game.

As it is, the base model, which is the one I ordered, is only down a couple hundred MHz and 4megs of L3 from the $700 additional top of the line model. Perfect for my non-gaming needs. When I game, I turn to my desktop.

Back