No Sub/LFE from Browser

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Question hopefully someone can help with. This has just started recently, so I believe it's something software/configuration somewhere.

On my HTPC I have an RX570 going HDMI to a Denon AVR-X2500H which then goes HDMI to my display.

I'm getting no subwoofer/LFE output when watching anything in a browser. Youtube, Amazon, tried Chrome and Edge, nada. Playing a movie in VLC or MPC-HC works flawlessly, it's only in browser. I've tried the "5.1 and Atmos for HT" speaker config settings in Windows with no change. I've changed bitrate in Windows with no change, and I've tried every processing mode on the receiver from Pure Direct on down with no change.

Previously I had sub output all the time no matter the setting. After changing receivers, I noticed DTX: NeuralX was giving me the best LFE activity in a browser, and now I get nothing. I'm lost :(

Sounds like the problem is with your receiver, or possibly the way in which your subwoofer is hooked up to your receiver.

For testing purposes, try to set the sound in Windows to Stereo / 2.0, and then use something like Dolby Pro-Logic or DTS Neo:6 on your receiver. With those modes, your receiver should be sending info to the LFE channel even if you are only getting a stereo / 2.0 signal from your source. If you are still not getting anything from the LFE channel in that config, I don't see any way that your computer could be the source of the problem at that point.

Sounds like the problem is with your receiver, or possibly the way in which your subwoofer is hooked up to your receiver.

For testing purposes, try to set the sound in Windows to Stereo / 2.0, and then use something like Dolby Pro-Logic or DTS Neo:6 on your receiver. With those modes, your receiver should be sending info to the LFE channel even if you are only getting a stereo / 2.0 signal from your source. If you are still not getting anything from the LFE channel in that config, I don't see any way that your computer could be the source of the problem at that point.

I'll try that as soon as I get home. Damn good advice, thank you.

Wish I could like this 10 more times. It worked. Stereo in Windoze, DTS Neural X on the receiver, shit's rattlin all over again. Just got to remember to change it back when I got to watch a non browser movie.... or one of these fucking streaming sites will finally start to stream decent audio, that would be lovely.

You could probably keep Windows set to whatever it was (5.1 or 7.1), just make sure your received isn't in Pure Direct mode. Set it to Auto, that'll probably use the Neural X stuff and mix to subwoofer, at least my AVR-S750H seems to do that. Run the Audyssey setup if you haven't already.

Back