No post help

Decimus

[H]ard|Gawd
First off specs.

Intel G620
ECS Intel H61 Micro MB
Cheap 4gb Ram
I have a GPU and Solid State but not relevant to the issue.

My problem - Not posting. It will run the fan for about 5 seconds, shut off and restart, after that it will continue running and shutting off every 30 seconds or so. No noise it is posting either.

What I have done -
Pulled mobo out of case tried to boot off the onboard gpu. Left ram in but pulled the GPU out.
Tested a couple of PSU's. One of which is a Corsair 430x that I know is working.
Tried switching the ram slots as well as without ram.

Any ideas? Only things left I can think of is to pull the CPU out and make sure I didn't bend any pins putting it in but I was pretty careful about that. Or bad mobo?

5/15 Update
New motherboard and still no post or even error beeps? CPU dead?

Last edited:
i'm having the same issue on my z68 board......i eventually got it to beep which translated as a bad board

hopefully you don't have the same problem, i would reseat the cpu, check the power connectors, and make sure theres not too much compound applied

It IS a cheap ECS and judging from the NE reviews, it doesn't seem to be all that reliable. SO it wouldn't be surprising if that was the culprit

But yeah, resetting CMOS is always worth a shot, even with a system that never booted before.

Also, see if you can test the CPU and RAM in another PC.

Also, try to re-seat the CPU.

Do you have a buzzzer/speaker plugged in? you should hear error beeps without ram.

GAAAAHHHH I hate cheap Motherboards and their shitty ass support. Started a support ticket with ECS this weekend basically stating what I said above. I specifically told them that I tried 2 different power supplies and the Corsair 430x that I tried it with as well I know to be working. Their response.

Dear Valued Customer,

Inadequate power to your components can cause the entire system to lock up at worst, or just cause certain components to malfunction or stop working. A power supply does not have to be dead to be faulty.

Please note that a faulty power supply could damage your CPU, motherboard, memory or any components that's connected with the power supply directly.
A low quality power supply may cause your hardware in the system to degrade faster.

Frustrations. And of course their phone technical support is only during the same hours I work. Oh well tonight I am going to reseat the CPU, double check the ram in another system, direct plug in speakers(just to double check), and then I will probably end up RMA'ing this sucker. Only other thing it could be would be the CPU? I am willing to bet though that cheap mobo is more likely responsible than the CPU.

Last edited:
5/15 Update: Help still needed

Ok. So just tried a known working motherboard and I am still not getting it to post. I am also not getting any error beeps even if I take out the RAM. CPU fan starts up runs for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and cycles. Reset CMOS, reseated CPU, tried 2 power supplies? Just seems really odd to me that the CPU would be dead...

Have you tried starting the system outside of the case with the screwdriver method?

Have you tried starting the system outside of the case with the screwdriver method?

Yes. I have done this since the beginning of my problems. It is out of the case only the CPUw/stock heatsink, RAM and PSU are installed using the onboard video. I guess I should also mention I have headphones hooked up to the audio jack as well to see if I get any error beeps.

Does that motherboard have onboard video outputs?
What's this known working mobo you're using?
What PSUs have you tried?
Have you tried different RAM?

Does that motherboard have onboard video outputs?
What's this known working mobo you're using?
What PSUs have you tried?
Have you tried different RAM?

1)Yes it has onboard VGA output.
2)Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2(Was pulled from a friends working guest computer)
3)I have tried a Corsair 430X, a Seasonic TGW300, and tried it with my main build's PSU CooolerMaster 600W SilentPro.
4)Actually RAM is the one thing besides CPU I haven't changed out. That being said shouldn't I still be getting no RAM error beeps when I take out the and try booting? I get the same boot cycle with no error beeps at all.

Argh this is such a pain in the ass build for my cheap HTPC. I am going to try different RAM, and I will just order a new cheap CPU. If I get it posting I will RMA the CPU or take it from there I guess.

4)Actually RAM is the one thing besides CPU I haven't changed out. That being said shouldn't I still be getting no RAM error beeps when I take out the and try booting? I get the same boot cycle with no error beeps at all.
Not really. I've head RAM issues that don't provide any beeps at all.

Argh this is such a pain in the ass build for my cheap HTPC. I am going to try different RAM, and I will just order a new cheap CPU. If I get it posting I will RMA the CPU or take it from there I guess.
All righty then.

so do you want to stop by on your way home and pickup some ram sticks to test with?

*knock on wood* the htpc I built with the same ECS mobo has been working like a champ. No issues other than it doesn't support 5.1 audio out over HDMI. So I added a Geforce 610 to fix that problem.

Back