No more XP video driver support from AMD?

Surely they could have waited with this until XP wasn't so widely used any more? They're ceasing support for it sooner than MSFT itself, for crying out loud...

I'm trying to figure out why ending XP support is an issue at all. XP usage for gamers is dropping fast and honestly ever since switching to 7 years ago I haven't missed XP at all.

Surely they could have waited with this until XP wasn't so widely used any more? They're ceasing support for it sooner than MSFT itself, for crying out loud...

uhh, people should not be gaming on XP anyways.

Its ludicrous to expect a company to provide driver support for an operating system 11+ years old. It costs time and money to create drivers for an ancient OS when that time and effort would be MUCH better spent on modern drivers.

Microsoft did not extend support for Windows XP so you could play games on it. Microsoft extended support solely for the large corporations to have sufficient time to migrate to Windows 7

Basically, if you are still using WinXP you are an idiot.

Solution: Go fucking upgrade already. Hell, I was still in high school when XP came out.

There are people who feel if something works, they know it and are comfortable with it, there is no need for change.
There are also people who object to paying Microsoft for newer software, especially if still using XP in the workplace, on older computers or laptops.
They may have invested in software which may not run, or not be readily adaptable or upgradable to run with newer operating systems.

It can be easier to get big eyed over new hardware than change from XP.

"if its dumb and it works it ain't dumb" and the KISS principle can apply.

There are people who feel if something works, they know it and are comfortable with it, there is no need for change.
There are also people who object to paying Microsoft for newer software, especially if still using XP in the workplace, on older computers or laptops.
They may have invested in software which may not run, or not be readily adaptable or upgradable to run with newer operating systems.

All this is true and this is why companies stop supporting old software because if they don't some part of the population will just keep using the old shit for 20 years. This seems to be the case with XP because it came around the time PCs were in some of their greatest growth for raw numbers.

So now KISS falls apart because you no longer have diver support and other support. Once an OS or hardware gets old enough it starts to become a total PIA to try and keep it running due to lack of drivers, software and support from currently used hardware and software.

This argument is the only thing that's dumb. The actual hardware limitations of Windows XP make it a no brainer to upgrade. If this was true we'd all still be running Windows 98 on 3 gig HDDs with Voodoos. It's time to move on. This is like the argument that more RAM on video cards is stupid and a waste. If everyone has that attitude then the world is going to be stuck at 2 gig of video RAM for the rest of eternity.

Only thing I can guess what's going on is there's a large generation of gamers that grew up only using and playing on one OS, Windows XP, since it's 11.5 years old.

I started gaming on MS-DOS 3.3, you can figure it out from there.

I'm glad they are doing this and I also can't wait for 32bit to go away. It's been around way too long.

I don't even see why this is a problem. Chances are the drivers on XP already are as good as they are going to get. The only people who need to upgrade graphics drivers regularly are gamers, and they have already all moved on (if you are gaming on XP.. just... why?).

This argument is the only thing that's dumb. The actual hardware limitations of Windows XP make it a no brainer to upgrade. If this was true we'd all still be running Windows 98 on 3 gig HDDs with Voodoos. It's time to move on. This is like the argument that more RAM on video cards is stupid and a waste. If everyone has that attitude then the world is going to be stuck at 2 gig of video RAM for the rest of eternity.

Only thing I can guess what's going on is there's a large generation of gamers that grew up only using and playing on one OS, Windows XP, since it's 11.5 years old.

I started gaming on MS-DOS 3.3, you can figure it out from there.

I'm glad they are doing this and I also can't wait for 32bit to go away. It's been around way too long.

This *10.

Where I work, we have gone to Windows 7 x64 Corporate wide except for some specific old equipment wich is no longer supported.

And as far as MS Office goes, I have been having to move that to x64 more and more as well due to large document sizes and also because of the fact that 32-bit Excel is painfully slow when doing calculations on huge data sets.

I initiated the move to x64 because it was totally ludicrous for the CAD machines to be running 32-bit as well as any other new machine.

Once I started moving to x64, the rest saw that it wasn't so hard to switch and then did the same at other sites.

In any case, I have been running x64 Windows since XP. 32-bit needs to hurry up and die already. It needed to die 10 years ago.

Why would the current drivers ever need updating for a deadend platform that is going no where ?

99.9% of XP installs are 32bit, which means as soon as you install a single 7970, you just used up 75% of your CPU's ram register space, and you also have no access to directX10 or 12. Why would you even CARE about this news? It's not like you can run games on anything above DX9 mode in XP, thusly you won't really be running cutting-edge titles, thusly the games you are running won't require tons of power, thusly you wont need new cards to run them, thusly the cards that are out NOW, with the drivers out NOW for XP are more than you'll ever need.

Thats what made Vista64 bit a nice platform as it covers all 3 DX modes.. i have Windows 7 on 2 computers but my main gaming rig is running Vista 64bit and i have enjoyed it for the past few years as i got DX 11 in SP 2 free without the need to go out and buy Windows 7.

I don't even see why this is a problem. Chances are the drivers on XP already are as good as they are going to get. The only people who need to upgrade graphics drivers regularly are gamers, and they have already all moved on (if you are gaming on XP.. just... why?).
XP is still a minimum target version of Windows for many games, and some people are not [h]; they'll run the OS the computer came with until the PC dies.. Ending driver support isn't necessarily bad for many users, like desktop applications. But games may just stop having support for AMD under XP, not really good press.

Windows XP. Who the hell cares? Yep, 3930k, 7970, surround 27 inch screens and Windows XP. That's how to do it, 2000$ in hardware with a 13 year old operating system. /s

Oh noes, all those cs 1.6 players are going to be so disappointed that they can't get new releases to support their game that stopped receiving tweaks in 2004.

Most of the people on XP aren't keeping updated with their video drivers. It's not like they need support for the latest Tomb Raider game. The applications they currently use on XP work with the drivers that they currently have regardless if the driver is 1 month old or 2 yrs old.

There are actually a lot of technical support businesses that simply use the video drivers off the installation cd for creating system images. If it works it works.

Like what has already been repeated to death already, gamers are already on Vista/7/8. The people with legacy software are the ones who don't give a F* about the latest and greatest.

Haha sorry, I thought about that after I'd already logged off yesterday. Thank you OP for the information; was venting my frustrations at people who refuse to upgrade

"I have a 7970, but i'm going to use it with Windows XP"

-said no one ever. ;)

Good riddance. XP is 10 months away from official EOL status. The sooner development efforts are no longer wasted on XP, the better.

Heck, it won't be that much longer before Windows 7 becomes the oldest supported OS: Vista's install base is not exactly large.

Why would you install XP if you have a 7000 series card, especially a 79xx card, you won't even utilize the card's full potential if you use XP, AMD should have ditched XP support when 7000 launched.

i still use windows xp, and I have a 6850. I havent changed my OS because a) I dont need to, and b) I cant afford to with a 13 month old boy and a wife to look after.

guess im pretty much out of options now

Back