no more driver sweeper, now what?

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
I don't use Driver Sweeper anyways, I just delete all the extra files myself since it takes very little time. I don't know the policy here on linking to other forums (is that considered advertising?), otherwise I'd post the method I use.

Guru3d stopped hosting newer version of driversweeper a while ago claiming that the installer based versions contained adware, considering phyxion stopped producing a stand-alone version I'm guessing the allegation is true.

I don't know the policy here on linking to other forums (is that considered advertising?), otherwise I'd post the method I use.

As long as you're not selling something, there's no issue lol

Guru3d stopped hosting newer version of driversweeper a while ago claiming that the installer based versions contained adware, considering phyxion stopped producing a stand-alone version I'm guessing the allegation is true.

I use driversweeper direct from his site. ...the only thing I see is that he embedded a link to install optional programs -I think the last one was a toolbar- during initial setup to generate revenue. This is no different than most other free programs out there. Java does it, Adobe does it, etc.

i haven' tused driver sweeper for years, no need for a long time, at least not since the win98 days

If you read the EULA during Driver Sweeper setup install one of the thigns it says it that it collects information DURING the install only. I don't know exactly what it collects.

I use drivercleaner.net
I think it used to be free.
Costs 10 bucks now.......but I bought it about 4 years ago and it was a one time deal.

nvidia drivers now ask if you want to do a "clean install" of the driver set, which elimanates the need pretty much for a driver cleaner, AMD I still use driver cleaner each time I upgrade or change drivers.

You CAN also do this manually.....but it's a pain in the ass.:D

I'm sure I don't switch cards nearly as much as a lot of you. But I've never had a need for any kind of 3rd party utility. I guess in rare cases it could be useful, but I've gone through a lot of cards and never had an issue.

Just making sure. :)

Anyways, this is the method I follow. It seems not worth it at first, but I can attest to the fact that it really does take very little time once you know where to look.

http://www.overclock.net/ati-driver...-how-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software.html

Followed these instructions because I didn't think my 11.5a's installed correctly. So I just got done reinstalling them and this is what shows up in my info tab:

Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.2
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524
Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0505.135.941

Any idea on why it keeps showing older drivers being installed?

I've done will over 100 video driver installations. I've needed Driver Cleaner twice. It's a nice utility to have just incase something goes awry but certainly isn't necessary for your routine driver update. Just be sure to do a proper uninstall of the old drivers before installing the new ones and there's a good chance you'll never need to use 3rd party utilities.

It isn't gone, that is the same Driver Sweeper. It's just that Guru3d is no longer supporting it.

nvidia drivers now ask if you want to do a "clean install" of the driver set, which elimanates the need pretty much for a driver cleaner, AMD I still use driver cleaner each time I upgrade or change drivers.

hmm i've needed Driver Sweeper (or watever) for Nvidia cards in the past (due to conflicts) with the 7900/8800 series. I've had this Radeon 5750 since launch and each time ive uninstalled the drivers, the ATI folder gets deleted automatically.

you should more or less almost always be fine with just installing straight over.

shit, i don't even reboot. it's always been fine.

hmm i've needed Driver Sweeper (or watever) for Nvidia cards in the past (due to conflicts) with the 7900/8800 series. I've had this Radeon 5750 since launch and each time ive uninstalled the drivers, the ATI folder gets deleted automatically.

Look in all your program folders and user folders, there are always AMD files left behind, even after using the uninstaller and a driver cleaner.

If you really want to do it right follow the overclockers link as noted above.:D

This news is like a year old. Did Guru3D only just now post it to their site?

My memory is a little shaky, but the following is how I remember it going down:

Phyxion begins Driver Sweeper development as a free alternative to Driver Cleaner.
Guru3D and Phyxion enter into an agreement and Guru3D Driver Sweeper is born.
Phyxion becomes unhappy with his agreement with Guru3D, which restricts him from linking back to his site, using advertisements, donation links, and/or removing the Guru3D branding.
Phyxion had basically signed over ownership of Driver Sweeper to Guru3D along with a contract for continued development of future versions.
Drama occurs when Phyxion uploads a version of Driver Sweeper to Guru3D which violates the terms of their agreement.
Hilbert Hagedoorn is pissed when Phyxion refuses to develop Driver Sweeper any longer unless the prior-agreed contract terms are changed.
Phyxion and Guru3D ultimately agree to end their relationship after more drama.
Phyxion is forced to fulfill the remainder of his contract term with Guru3D or face legal action.
Guru3D Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 is released, contract ends, future versions of Driver Sweeper are permanently banned from Guru3D.
On the same day, Phyxion makes a cosmetic change to Guru3D Driver Sweeper 2.1.0 and releases it as Driver Sweeper 2.5.0 on his personal site, development continues.

Last edited:
Back