No Mans Sky "Beyond" Update Will Feature Multiplayer

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Mar 15, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

No Man's Sky had a rough launch, to say the least, and most people expected the developers to distance themselves from it as much as they could. Instead, Hello Games has been steadily working No Man's Sky over the years, and the game managed to make a big comeback in 2018. Today, the developers announced what they claim to be the biggest overhaul to No Man's Sky yet. The "Beyond" update is supposedly the culmination of several features they've been planning for some time, as it "will contain those three major updates rolled into one larger free release." The first of those components is a new multiplayer experience, and Hello Games says they'll talk about the other components "in the coming weeks."

Check out the teaser video here.

No Man's Sky Online includes a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. Whilst this brings people together like never before, and has many recognisable online elements, we don't consider No Man's Sky to be an MMO - it won't require a subscription, won't contain microtransactions, and will be free for all existing players. These changes are an answer to how we have seen people playing since the release of NEXT, and is something we've dreamed of for a long time. We will talk more about each component when we know we can be precise, and look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks.

Q-BZ likes this.
  2. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

I still periodically check in to NMS and enjoy it though I ran out of stuff to do. I do find it ironic that for a game that sells itself on it's vastness and hugeness, it's been more and more about getting players to huddle together in one small space. Looks like they are expanding on that theme. The ship did look more higher-res than I am used to.

3. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Went to go check on the price of this game a few times and to my surprise its still $60....apparently they didn't give into the horrid reviews at launch to sell more games. Its been on sale a few times but never low enough for me to pull the trigger. Surprised they are still making changes to this game I applaud them for sticking with it and making changes and updates.

Auer and jeffj7 like this.
  4. Eshelmen

Eshelmen 2[H]4U

Wonderful to see Hello Games back at it with another major update.

I never hated them for how they released the vanilla version, and love them even more for sticking it out, getting to work and adding these giant additions.

With over 4,000 discovered planets in my name, I can say I've seen it all, but not quite.

Looking forward to a more transparent online experience.

KazeoHin, Auer and N4CR like this.
  5. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

Impossible Sean said it had multiplayero 2 years ago.

He didn't lie did he?

6. Eshelmen

Eshelmen 2[H]4U

No he didn't lie.

COOP is in the game as of the No Mans Sky Next patch.

They're clearly adding much more multiplayer capabilities in this one.

7. Master_shake_

he never said in pre-launch interviews that there was multiplayer?

i mean i can bring up several interviews where he says you can meet other players but it's rare.

also i can post the one where 2 players tried to meet and did not.

also this

wagii0fiujex.jpg

Hakaba likes this.
  8. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

Will it still run better on my kids 1050ti than my Vega 64?! Actually enjoy the game but last time I played it’s still ran like ass on Radeon. No issues the dozens of other games I dabble in.

Have to check it out and see.

9. Master_shake_

And as I said it only took 2 years.

10. NickM

NickM Limp Gawd

You seem to bitch about this a lot *looks under username* ...Never mind.

Nick

11. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Not sure if I'll play the game, but it is nice to see the devs still backing their baby. So many other devs would have packed up and moved on.

12. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I play NMS while listening to podcasts as a way to unwind. It's a very relaxing sort of "mental bubblegum" way to unwind after dealing with insanely complex issues all day.

That said, i do totally understand all the criticism. I'm on odd duck, but I suspect there are a few others who might like that sort of experience (note, I didn't call it a game).

Auer and N4CR like this.
  13. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

I want the game to be physical on PC and condone the right to resale. What is it you want?

14. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

This game will get me to pick it up and play for almost a whole day straight then not touch it for months lol.

Laowai likes this.
  15. Litfod

Litfod [H]ard|Gawd

Given how much some people got hung up on the game not having MP at launch (and still are apparently), it's not all that surprising they've worked on adding and improving the co-op experience.
    Well, it's surprising they didn't just ship the game as-is and immediately move on to something else, but all credit to them for the effort they've put in post-release.

Eshelmen likes this.
  16. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Ya I pay money to get in a spaceship and fly far away so I can be surrounded by earth assholes circa 2019.

Laowai and Dayaks like this.
  17. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Well. Earth assholes from 2019 will be way more intelligent than Earth assholes in the future if the current trend holds true...

18. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

As we say at work "trending down and to the right".

GoldenTiger and Dayaks like this.
  19. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Problem is people bought into the game with the idea that multiplayer was going to be present at launch. Additionally, Sean dances around the question leading people to believe what they wanted to.

Does it matter now? No, game has been out long enough any new addition to the game is bringing it closer to what it was supposed to be at launch.

20. Sycraft

Sycraft [H]ardness Supreme

So wait, maybe Sean Murry WASN'T actually a pathological liar, he just accidentally stepped in a time warp from 2019 and was talking about all the feature the game would have then :D. I think it is almost to the point of having what was hyped now.

21. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

At launch it ran great on radeon, better than the many people with issues on Nvidia. Remember it was console first..

22. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

I bought in at one of the 50% off sales after the Next update. It’s a fun casual game for sure but FPS all over the place for me. Have not played in quite some time though. I’ll try it again soon.

23. Laowai

Laowai Limp Gawd

It does that to me every time they release a major update. Which is surprisingly frequent, all things considered.

24. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

I like the game a lot and I'm glad there's still development going on.

This was one of those games that did a pretty good turnaround.

Well done.

25. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

It still has some optimization issues, I seem to recall it's an OpenGL game too.

TheHig likes this.
  26. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

I was very interested in the original idea of the game - I was close to buying it when it initially launched. However, I have guidelines: never buy a game on launch (unless you really want it). Wait about 6 months for a Steam sale and the inevitable stability patches.
    For this game, I am still interested in checking it out - some day. It will probably be a few years from now. Maybe I'll catch it for $10 or as part of a HumbleBundle.
    I have too many games as-is and limited time to play them. By the time I finally pull the trigger on this one, it will have a lot of content and might match the original idea of the game.

27. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

That's kind of the way I feel about it as well :ROFLMAO:

One of my coworkers said he liked it, but ended up getting stuck on a planet for some reason and just gave up.

28. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

I started playing it after the big 2018 update. It was fun at first, but I got to the point where I was frickin' tired of blowing up rocks and shit just to get off the ground and actually into the game.

I stepped away and haven't played for about 6 months. I haven't even gotten off my spawn planet yet.

29. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Used a mod to triple mining speed. Found the game quite enjoyable And progress well paced after that.

30. carnageX

carnageX Limp Gawd

This + fully controllable flight ship mod were the big ones I used. A couple other quality-of-life improvements (instant button feedback instead of having to press/hold helped too) and it was better (on PC).

joobjoob likes this.