No longer 0% off!!! Clarion in-dash reciever with USB

Didn't need to spend the money - but this is too nice a receiver to pass up. I'll be putting it in my project car - a 1990 Corvette rather than the cheapo Sony I bought a couple years ago from wal-mart with speakers for $100 bucks around Christmas.

Thanks for the link!

They did fix the original deal a few hours after it was posted.

I've heard Clarions quality has gone down hill after being bought out years ago.

Ppl still put this crap in their cars? I KID I KID.. sort of.

My friend convinced me to change my car receiver from the factory installed to a Kenwood unit and I now have an auxiliary and USB port and it makes a world of difference. I didn't pick up any new speakers or sub but not having to listen to the crappy radio with 80% ads and talking is priceless. I have most of my music on a 16Gb stick that stays in there all of the time and if I find a good deal i'll pick up a 32Gb so I can have all of it with me on the go.

I personally couldn't live without the usb port on my Kenwood. I have an 8 gig flash drive loaded with mp3s plugged in inside my glove compartment.

On another note, this doesn't seem like a great deal. It has a tiny screen, no mention of RDS support, no volume knob, no mention of support for an HD radio receiver, and no remote control.

Not in the least. Something with a 24 bit DAC could be considered high quality. This? not so much.

Your comment means you understand very little about DAC's. Being caught up too much in the specs of an electronic component is futile. I'm not vouching for this Clarion, just making a point.

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1033600071]Your comment means you understand very little about DAC's. Being caught up too much in the specs of an electronic component is futile. I'm not vouching for this Clarion, just making a point.[/QUOTE]

But, if nothing else, the audio specs on a 24b DAC are better than this product. He has a valid point.

i have had this clarion deck in my car the last 3 months and it has been awesome. I like having the usb port in the front very useful. http://clarion.com/us/en/products/2...DXZ385USB/us-en-product-pf_1172385079029.html
I have it hooked up to a JL 300/4 amp and JL VR600 CSI in the front and JL VR609CXI in the rear. My setup sounds awesome. I had a clarion deck in my previous car too and it sounded great also. I think clarion is good quality high end brand.

We are talking about a Car Radio. Typically going to play 128 bit rate MP3s, FM radio and occassionally CDs -- suplimented by plenty of road noise. I don't think the best things the audio world has to offer are requied on a car audio receiver.

but hey --- for those who would base their negative comments on the lack of a 24bit DAC - then figure out something else trivial to gripe about.... because apparently this receiver does have the 24 bit DAC!

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...DXZ785USB/us-en-product-pf_1172385078991.html

and specifications under

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882647014

Even if it didn't - the things that are more important to the typical customer of a car audio receiver than the 24bit DAC is the six, 6 volt pre-outs, and the 53x4 watts per channel - usb interface etc.

Again - as far as car audio receivers go this is a comparatively high quality unit.

I'd rather it be a front mounted port instead of a rear.

You want an ugly usb stick poking out the front making it hard to press buttons?

On mine, I ran the rear usb cable to my glovebox... easy access and it's hidden away.

You want an ugly usb stick poking out the front making it hard to press buttons?

On mine, I ran the rear usb cable to my glovebox... easy access and it's hidden away.

+1 for front USB port. Would be nice if it had 1 front *and* 1 back USB port!

I personally couldn't live without the usb port on my Kenwood. I have an 8 gig flash drive loaded with mp3s plugged in inside my glove compartment.

On another note, this doesn't seem like a great deal. It has a tiny screen, no mention of RDS support, no volume knob, no mention of support for an HD radio receiver, and no remote control.

This does come with a remote. I would like to see a better radio for the $$$.

I think kenwood or pioneer is better. This deal is quite tempting,
and would be suitable and quite a bargain for the average user who
will use stock speakers and won't even need preouts.

holy gosh...

I think this thread must just be a joke by some people who think it's hiliarious to pick on a random good deal!?!?

Pretty much every post in this thread has been a silly complaint - most of them erroneous.

It has SIX 6 volt pre-outs. That's one of the better pre-out setups you can get! so why would this HU only be good for someone who wants a basic receiver?

Double Din? 99% of all people who looked at a thread regarding a double-din sale would say - wish it was single din.

It has EVERYTHING except High Definition FM that is available in it's pricerange of $300 --- and it's onsale for $117 shipped. There is no way this is a bad deal!!!

Damn! I just bought a JVC head unit (with HD Radio Built In) for $150, but no USB...
Oh well. Damn good deal though.

i bit, i'm willing to bet this is better than my kenwood unit i bought around the same price 2 years ago...the bass was always lacking on it.

I like my eclipse, although when reading fro my "rear" (its actualy a cable) tumb drive tends to mess up (stop sound in on espeaker then the other for only a second) every so often. At least it is a quality unit made in Japan :)

Just cost a little more when ebay was doing the cashback, but its not made in china like most of them are these days AND it has built in bluetooth accepts name cards, A2DP and regualr bluetooth functions..

The next generation of HU's should start getting nice, acepting larger file formats, and the ability to send an entire contact list to the HU via bluetooth!

god damn you subby... now youve got me looking at a new stereo. in the last 3 years, ive put 3 new systems in it, and i told my self i wasnt going to touch this one this year. but now... now youve got me looking at this.

i guess if i like this more then my old cda-9815, i can sell that for about the same price. if i dont like the new head unit, i can resell it on ebay for atleast what i paid for it.

For the price this thing is a steal, and it's usb support is a ton better than competitors for this year 2008 products. I can't vouch on 2009 products as not many places have released their units. But i called these makers Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion and only clarion guys would say their drive could support a ton of music off of usb, others were limiting it to 2-8gigs max which was alright but not what i was looking for. With 6volt preouts this is pretty good too, current deck has 8 but it doesn't read cd's anymore so it kinda needs to go, Eclipse 8 something unit, paid 700$ for it 3 or 4 years ago, about time to replace.

I think kenwood or pioneer is better. This deal is quite tempting,
and would be suitable and quite a bargain for the average user who
will use stock speakers and won't even need preouts.

Dude, 6V preamp outs? My Kenwood Excelon KDC-X692 is only 4V.

For the price this thing is a steal, and it's usb support is a ton better than competitors for this year 2008 products. I can't vouch on 2009 products as not many places have released their units. But i called these makers Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion and only clarion guys would say their drive could support a ton of music off of usb, others were limiting it to 2-8gigs max which was alright but not what i was looking for. With 6volt preouts this is pretty good too, current deck has 8 but it doesn't read cd's anymore so it kinda needs to go, Eclipse 8 something unit, paid 700$ for it 3 or 4 years ago, about time to replace.

The eclipse usnit isnt limited by space but number of songs...but it does have bluetooth. Then again its all about their awesome preouts for me cause I have a very expensive stereo and comps, not just a ghetto bass or stock setup. it looks pretty good and clarion has one of the best HU's out there for quality so I know they are capable of making good stuff.

Just remember that pre-out voltage dosn't mean all that much. How it is measured and how much impedence makes all the difference.

Heh. This always happens when an audio product is listed. Apparently someone wants to always compare it to something called "The Ultimate Sh|t!" Well I can tell you now that I can not afford the TUS. So thanks for the post OP! Because its under $1000 I can probably buy it. I don't have a car yet, so maybe I'll buy it just to piss everyone off.

holy gosh...

I think this thread must just be a joke by some people who think it's hiliarious to pick on a random good deal!?!?

Pretty much every post in this thread has been a silly complaint - most of them erroneous.

It has SIX 6 volt pre-outs. That's one of the better pre-out setups you can get! so why would this HU only be good for someone who wants a basic receiver?

Double Din? 99% of all people who looked at a thread regarding a double-din sale would say - wish it was single din.

It has EVERYTHING except High Definition FM that is available in it's pricerange of $300 --- and it's onsale for $117 shipped. There is no way this is a bad deal!!!

Agreed, I have this deck hooked up to a JL/Rockford setup and it works really well. I got lucky at a Fry's and got this deck for $150 about a year ago. I am running an older Rockford amp (when they were a lot better) for the subs and the JL for the speakers in the car. The clarity is very nice out of the pre-outs( I can't say much about the internal amp because I haven't used it). The other thing that some people must be over looking is that the rear USB is attached to a cable that can be run to the glove box and hidden (this is a much better design than the goofy ones with the stick in the front that will be broken when you reach for something, or hit it etc).

As for the other arguments, I used to sell custom car systems and have been around a lot of high-end car audio. Obviously this is not a $1000 deck but for the price it is badass. The deck originally retailed at $300 and at this price I don't think you will find a better one.
The other thing I find funny is that in car audio (just like home audio)... you only get marginal improvements for dropping major cash. I am not saying buy cheap and expect the world, but some of the arguments I have seen about this being a garbage deck are silly...

Anyways nice find OP great deal.

Agreed, I have this deck hooked up to a JL/Rockford setup and it works really well. I got lucky at a Fry's and got this deck for $150 about a year ago. I am running an older Rockford amp (when they were a lot better) for the subs and the JL for the speakers in the car. The clarity is very nice out of the pre-outs( I can't say much about the internal amp because I haven't used it). The other thing that some people must be over looking is that the rear USB is attached to a cable that can be run to the glove box and hidden (this is a much better design than the goofy ones with the stick in the front that will be broken when you reach for something, or hit it etc).

As for the other arguments, I used to sell custom car systems and have been around a lot of high-end car audio. Obviously this is not a $1000 deck but for the price it is badass. The deck originally retailed at $300 and at this price I don't think you will find a better one.
The other thing I find funny is that in car audio (just like home audio)... you only get marginal improvements for dropping major cash. I am not saying buy cheap and expect the world, but some of the arguments I have seen about this being a garbage deck are silly...

Anyways nice find OP great deal.

Well it does not have bluetooth and thats a deal breaker for me since it is now the law. I dont think on the clarion lineup you have to pay alot more for marginal gain. Well, at least you can get more features for a little more and so on up to the top (maybe not much difference in quality). They had quite a few HU's in 2008 an unecessary amount really. I got my Eclipse CD3200 for only a little more off ebay a few months ago with the cashback. Its a good price if Clarion is the brand you want.

Back