No keyboard for me

Segfault

Weaksauce
I'd never thought I cannot find a piece of hardware in my own. Just spent half a day reviewing descriptions and reading reviews. Nuttin'. Alright, of course I'd like a Model F, who doesn't, but it is a dreamworld item. All I want in real world is a keyboard which is designed for a keyboard user. Meaning all keys are in conventional places, no innovations, please. Adding multimedia keys and some primitive backlight are a plus, but not a must. Better wired, but wireless is OK, too. After looking at many, many keyboards every single one of them had something wrong. Some looked good, but too many negative reviews about failures.
So here is the question. Is there or isn't there a simple keyboard with keys that feel good under fingers and which is going to last?

My friend types a lot and likes this Logitech G512 with Linear keys
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/pro...g-keyboard.920-008936.html#product-tech-specs

I myself like the feel of my Logitech G815, it's a flat style keyboard.
IMG_0323.JPEG

Thanks everybody! This Unicomp is interesting. BTW, they have resurrected Model F, but I'm not sure it is worth $400 they are asking. Not sure at all. Will look into Logitech, too. Can't use any keyboards which require computer software to turn lights on. And nothing flashy, only practical modest single color.

Thanks everybody! This Unicomp is interesting. BTW, they have resurrected Model F, but I'm not sure it is worth $400 they are asking. Not sure at all. Will look into Logitech, too. Can't use any keyboards which require computer software to turn lights on. And nothing flashy, only practical modest single color.
The G512 has preset lighting that you can cycle through and you can use the software to customize the lighting and save it to the keyboard so you can have that lighting style when plugged into any PC.
The G815 only does a rainbow left to right effect if the software is not installed. Customized lighting on the G815 requires the software to be running.

G815 is out then. I assume it requires Windows and I also assume a free copy is not made available for download. Well, this is tongue in cheek, I would not use Windows anyway. I think I just read some review which described how internet connection was needed to run some keyboard software. That's crazy. Thanks again, useful information.

I'm a massive keyboard whore. One of my favorites has been the older GMMK and the earlier glossy Das Keyboard with the Cherry MX Blue switches. Despite the fact that there are a lot of keyboards that employ the same types of switches, some still feel better than others due to other aspects of the construction, such as plate mounting, etc. The Logitech G513 Carbon I'm using now is decent enough, but I don't like Logitech's switches as much as some others I've tried. You could always try the PC Gaming Race GMMK series. You can choose what switches you want and even switch them out later if you decide you like something else better. You can also upgrade to more durable keycaps than the standard ones. No software is needed to configure the RGB lighting either.

Looking at it, I'm tempted to order one myself.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, $3 does not buy any keyboard any more. Neither does $5. LOL
Dan_D, I'll stay subscribed here, in case you do it, please come back and comment. Right now I feel I may get Unicomp. I need lights only to see better in dark room, getting old. I do no gaming, I guess running Sid Meyer's Colonization in DosBox is not considered gaming nowadays. ;)

I tend to comment on most of the hardware I buy. Not only that, but I buy a lot of it.

After my Corsair K70 low profile went bad using a Logitech G910. I have a backup Cordair K70 but afraid to use it. I want a Corsair with one of those magnetic wrist rest the K100 is like 179.00 though and the lesser models have issues.

Back