• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

No i7 3820 talk?

Yeah, I will admit, I've not read enough to know a whole about the new CPU's that are coming from Intel. I have glanced at the charts a few times. No where do I see 6 or 8 cores. Have those cpu's not been announced yet or is Intel just not releasing any for Ivy Bridge?

A lot of us are running 2600k's at 4.8ghz - 4.9ghz + and they are just screaming. They don't really expect us to spend a lot of money on the 79x chipset ( those boards are insanely priced ) along with new IB cpu's that still only have 4 cores.

I'm sure I have it wrong somewhere and need to do more reading or ... did I get most of my assumption right?

I actually see people investing in a 7970 or a 2nd 7970 instead of blowing all that money on a new board and a boring old 4 core cpu.
 
Update to my post.

Ok, I took a few minutes to get the skinny on Ivy Bridge and .... basically, it's like this. If you already own a 2500k or 2600k, it's basically "pointless" to upgrade to Ivy Bridge. There is some small performance gains, but usually all having to do with productivity, encoding, that sort of thing and the average is only about a 1% to 2% gain. Better power savings, again, very small amount. They are also adding in the new 3D gate thing Intel made a big deal about in the summer of 2011.

More here at this link as it explains I think very excellently what the whole Ivy Bridge release is about. Better than what I can do here.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/110953-intel-ivy-bridge-cpus-arriving-april-2012

As I said, anyone running 4.8Ghz ~ 4.9Ghz and there are a million of us, it's pointless to upgrade. Your money would best be spent on a new SSD or even better yet, a new AMD 7970 or GTX 780.
 
I think it's kinda pointless cpu.

Cheap X79 mobos offer only more PCI-ex lanes so no point in going i7-3820 instead of 2600K.
Now if someone were selling cheap X79 mobo with 8 memory slots that could be lot more interesting choice.
 
I agree, I doubt many people will even bother with Ivy Bridge. It's more or less the same as a SB. The Ivy Bridge is just a die shrink of the Sandy Bridge with a few improvements. Nothing that would warrant dropping $700+ dollars on for the cpu / motherboard and the price I quoted is about the average cost.

Now, for the people still working with a 920 or those models, yeah, I would go Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge.
 
Nothing that would warrant dropping $700+ dollars on for the cpu / motherboard and the price I quoted is about the average cost.

What if you sell your current motherboard and cpu and buy on ebay at a very reduced cost?
 
Sounds like a plan. But, lot of work for a side-ways upgrade. I'm sure they will work out all the bugs with the new x79 boards with board revisions and firmware updates but as it stands now if you go and look at them on Newegg, none of those new boards have high marks. 1, 2 eggs. Lots of problems, poor ratings. But, normal I guess for a new generation of products.

Now, when the newer 6 or 8 core cpu's come out from Intel the end of this year or 2013, I will be all over that. I just can't see me or anyone else really benefiting much if at all moving away from our 4.8 or 4.9Ghz Sandy Bridges, you have to admit, that's pretty damn smoking speed and power right thurrr.
 
What I don't understand is why it isn't unlocked. It is 4c/8t making it distinctly slower compared to the upper cpus unless intel knows something that we don't such as it can clock much higher without those other 2cores heating it up. All conjecture of course.
 
What I don't understand is why it isn't unlocked. It is 4c/8t making it distinctly slower compared to the upper cpus unless intel knows something that we don't such as it can clock much higher without those other 2cores heating it up. All conjecture of course.

I think it's meant to provide a more or less equivalent part to LGA1155 offerings while letting you have more PCIe lanes and greater memory bandwidth. It doesn't make a lot of sense to you or I, but to marketing people, it's probably genius.
 
Intel knows it's enthusiasts community loves to spend money. I'm surprised they do not have something coming out that made sense to us that would encourage us to move away from our 2600k's. Seriously, no unlocked 6 core 1155 replacement around $350. What's out there or what's coming out that I can drop into my Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 board that would give me something new? Don't say the 2700k. Looking fore more cores or a die shrink. Anything that will drop right in?
 
Cheap X79 mobos offer only more PCI-ex lanes so no point in going i7-3820 instead of 2600K.
Now if someone were selling cheap X79 mobo with 8 memory slots that could be lot more interesting choice.
Newegg have boards from both ASUS and INTEL with 8 memory slots at $279.99 which is about $55 more than the cheapest X79 boards. Still fairly pricey but if you need 64GB of ram and don't need lots of cores then combined with a 3820 it will probablly be your best option.
 
Last edited:
I think Intel shot themselves in the foot big time by releasing the mainstream Sandy Bridge platform before SB-E. If they have any sense, the would release the far more profitable IB-E chips first.
 
While the enthusiast market has high margins it also has low volume so overall it probablly doesn't make that much profit for intel.

Further intel seriously messed up the mainstream desktop market with nahelm by failing to offer a quad core with integrated graphics. They needed to fix that.

Further the server market favours reliability and expandability over raw performance so it's better to shake the problems out on the desktop first.

So while it makes a strange situation for enthusiasts it makes perfect sense to me that intel did the mainstream first and the enthusiast/server stuff later.
 
Back
Top