No i7 3820 talk?

Looks nice, still waiting for IB....well IB-E on 2011 chipset...but man this is tempting. If they come out with some really stellar 2011 boards then i might bite and then just drop in a IB-E down the road

Looks nice, still waiting for IB....well IB-E on 2011 chipset...but man this is tempting. If they come out with some really stellar 2011 boards then i might bite and then just drop in a IB-E down the road

this is what I was thinking. I can't justify paying 549 for a processor that I may only run for a year... but I've gotten everything I could out of what I currently have lol.

If these ues the same silicone as the 3930 I think they will clock veary well as I can prim 95 at 5.2 if I turn off 2 cores at 1.425 vcore 1.4 if I turn off ht

I'm looking at the Xeon E5-1620, which is the workstation equivalent for this processor. This is the SBE equivalent of i7-920 / Xeon W3520, it even has the exact same launch price as the 920. Can't wait :D

I think if this was a native quad core it would be more attactive to me.

Oh, it is a new die. I should read the review before saying anything more...

Last edited:
I think that the i7-3820 will be the least desirable of the new LGA 2011 CPUs: That CPU will be "locked" (actually, limited unlocked, which in the case of the i7-3820 will be limited to six multiplier steps above the default Turbo multipliers). Plus, who knows if the i7-3820 would respond to any changes in the BCLK (officially, in the LGA 2011 platform, only 100MHz, 125MHz and 166MHz BCLK settings are supported). These rather huge increments between BCLK settings make it rather difficult to achieve a stable overclock using the BCLK.

Furthermore, at anywhere close to stock speeds, the i7-3820 will actually perform slower in most apps than the LGA 1155 i7-2600 (non-K). That is exactly why the i7-3820 will be the least appealing LGA 2011 CPU, especially since a more expensive motherboard and a higher investment in RAM will be required of that CPU just to even run at all.

Last edited:
Why would you guys want the 3820 anyway? I see it as a lesser alternative to the 2600K, which uses less power and overall seems like a leaner more refined chip. The only saving grace is that 2011 will get you to IB-E, while 1155 will expire at IB. Other than that I see the 2600K as superior.

I think that the i7-3820 will be the least desirable of the new LGA 2011 CPUs: That CPU will be "locked" (actually, limited unlocked, which in the case of the i7-3820 will be limited to six multiplier steps above the default Turbo multipliers). Plus, who knows if the i7-3820 would respond to any changes in the BCLK (officially, in the LGA 2011 platform, only 100MHz, 125MHz and 166MHz BCLK settings are supported). These rather huge increments between BCLK settings make it rather difficult to achieve a stable overclock using the BCLK.

My sentiments exactly

Wait and see about the overclockability. I don't really think the BCLK increments matter that much. 10 years ago most chipsets had fixed FSB increments and people overclocked just fine, we're just spoiled by all the OC features today. With the 125MHz BCLK and the 4 bins limited unlock you can get to 5.375 GHz which is about the limit for SB CPU's anyway without exotic cooling.

Wow...you guys sure are hating on this cpu.... personally and from benchmarks it looks pretty good, and the 10mb+ cache beats the 2600k's 8mb cache

Why would you guys want the 3820 anyway? I see it as a lesser alternative to the 2600K, which uses less power and overall seems like a leaner more refined chip.
It all depends what is important to you in a machine. If all you care about is CPU horsepower and you can't afford and/or utilise a hexcore then stick with 1155. OTOH if ram slots and PCIe lanes are more important to you then the 3820 may be worth considering.

It all depends what is important to you in a machine. If all you care about is CPU horsepower and you can't afford and/or utilise a hexcore then stick with 1155. OTOH if ram slots and PCIe lanes are more important to you then the 3820 may be worth considering.

The real problem with 3820 is ivy bridge is three months behind it.

Also if Ivy Bridge to SB is anything like Gulftown was to Bloomfield, you'll see very little increase in overclockability and performance per clock, just a reduction in power consumption.

I am sure that some people would like a lower cost pathway to much higher quantities of RAM and PCI-e Lanes Especially now that the new 7900 series and GTX700 series are coming out.

Not everyone is budget or imagination limited to have to stick with 2500 and 2600 processors. Getting kind of tired of the flaming of the 2011 series already.
Just my 2 cents.

and ...

The real problem with 3820 is ivy bridge is three months behind it.

Yes I think Intel might have shot them-selves in the foot on this one and more than likely sales of the 2011 quadcore are going to be stagnant if not barely dead due to the 22nm chips. However the 6 core will still continue to sell like hotcakes to enthusiast like my-self.

Last edited:
I think the 3820 really exists because Intel made a native quadcore Xeon version, as Xeon users would be more apt to go for the extra PCI-E lanes and more ram slots/channels. Since they already have the die, why not make a consumer SKU?

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge Extreme/Ivy Bridge Extreme are marketed toward different crowds. I'm not sure Intel shot themselves in the foot over it. It is just their natural progression they have been doing for awhile it just became more clear with the P55 and X58 using different sockets.

The i7 3820 is not an unlocked processor so I doubt you'll see too many enthusiasts use it, which is probably why there isn't a lot of talk about it. I think more than likely it'll be used by OEMs and for workstations that only need a 4c/8t CPU without the overclocking abilities.

Being that this chip isn't fully unlocked and that the platform is more expensive, I can see no real reason to want one of these over a Core i7 2600K / 2700K. I just can't get excited about a partially unlocked quad core CPU on a very expensive X79 platform. The quad memory channels and extra PCIe lanes might be tempting for some, but honestly I'd step up to the 3930K is that's the case.

I like the looks of this chip. I'm on a 1090T now, and the most cpu intensive thing I do is gaming.....but I typically run eyefinity @ 1920x1080x3 on 6850 xfire, so I'm not sure this CPU would benefit me....

I like the looks of this chip. I'm on a 1090T now, and the most cpu intensive thing I do is gaming.....but I typically run eyefinity @ 1920x1080x3 on 6850 xfire, so I'm not sure this CPU would benefit me....

A faster CPU is always faster. Would you notice? Probably not. 5760x1080 is a high enough resolution to probably warrant some additional CPU power, but a video card upgrade would benefit you MUCH more than changing out your CPU. Especially given the cost to upgrade your motherboard, add RAM / upgrade RAM and buy the CPU. You could grab a pair of 6950's and be far better off in games.

A faster CPU is always faster. Would you notice? Probably not. 5760x1080 is a high enough resolution to probably warrant some additional CPU power, but a video card upgrade would benefit you MUCH more than changing out your CPU. Especially given the cost to upgrade your motherboard, add RAM / upgrade RAM and buy the CPU. You could grab a pair of 6950's and be far better off in games.

Yeah I'm pretty much thinking the same thing.....I also have 3 pci-e x16 slot (although not all at x16 however....ASRock Deluxe4) Powered by a COrsair HX750W power supply so could conceivably go from 2x6850(1GB) to 3x6950(2GB) if the power supply would support it.

Being that this chip isn't fully unlocked and that the platform is more expensive, I can see no real reason to want one of these over a Core i7 2600K / 2700K. I just can't get excited about a partially unlocked quad core CPU on a very expensive X79 platform. The quad memory channels and extra PCIe lanes might be tempting for some, but honestly I'd step up to the 3930K is that's the case.

what is the difference between 3930K and 3820 in addition to the fully unlocked CPU?
Bigger cache? Higher frequency? What?

It's because everyone is talking about AMD's A8-3870K. A8-3870K is obviously better than an i7 3820. Better luck next time, Intel. :p

I think the 3820 isn't a bad chip, but the timing is so off. This would be as if Intel had launched the i7 920 AFTER the i7 800 chips.

I still think Intel should launch a i7 3990X octa-core chip.

Question for everyone: If the Sandy Bridge E chips are models 3820, 3930 and 3960, does anyone think the Ivy Bridge E chips will use model numbers in the same sequence, or will Intel launch those with 4xxx numbers?

I like the chip and if it had been released when I replaced my i7 920 I would have bought it. I spent the same amount of money on a 2600k that I will be replacing with ivy anyways so I guess to Intel it doesn't affect their bottom line.

I still think Intel should launch a i7 3990X octa-core chip.
If Intel did, that would require a new TDP level for useful clock speeds (i.e. one where the 8c is faster than 6c in most consumer uses). And that would require a new VRM specification and new motherboard certifications. Desktop boards have generally had only 2 levels (usually smaller FF ones with low power ceilings and others that supported all TDPs).

Maybe Intel could cherry pick bins to make this supply and avoid power problems? If Intel did, they could sell the chip for much more than historical top end enthusiast CPUs fetch. A high clock speed SNB-E 8c/16t chip for 1s servers would fit in a price around $1000 higher than it could possibly get on the desktop ($1500 is a historical desktop processor high IIRC). Entry level servers often have desktop processor options, so it's not an abstract concern. IOW, it could eat into other more profitable server processors if an 8c/16t SNB-E CPU were released as a desktop processor.

Not true, you're not thinking with portals.

The chip has the same "limited" overclock capability, with a maximum turbo multiplier of 43x. This should limit you to 4300 MHz single core (4000 MHz turbo quad-core), but it really doesn't.

Overclock your BCLK to 125 MHz, and suddenly your maximum quad-core speed is boosted to 5000 MHz (single core is 5375) , and you can adjust your quad-core multiplier to any value up to 40x, giving you 125 MHz increments. It's not quite as tight as the 100 MHz increments of the K parts, but it's close.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5276/intel-core-i7-3820-review-285-quadcore-sandy-bridge-e

I dunno....with me hitting 4.6ghz on my i7 950...I honestly just see no point for this or SB-E.

Now Ivy Bridge....i am interested in

I'm a little out of the loop. Are there any plans for something such as a 3820K? Or any other unlocked quad core SB-E chip, in the $300 - $400 range coming out soon?

I'm a little out of the loop. Are there any plans for something such as a 3820K? Or any other unlocked quad core SB-E chip, in the $300 - $400 range coming out soon?

not now not ever! Intel says we can't have nice things.

not now not ever! Intel says we can't have nice things.

Damn. I'm on 1366 right now, and plan on upgrading soon. I would have loved to go to 2011, but I just can't justify spending $600 on the 3930K. I have no use for a hex core. Hell, I have no use for the advantages of a 2011 setup over a 1155 either... Looks like a nice 1155 setup it is.

Damn. I'm on 1366 right now, and plan on upgrading soon. I would have loved to go to 2011, but I just can't justify spending $600 on the 3930K. I have no use for a hex core. Hell, I have no use for the advantages of a 2011 setup over a 1155 either... Looks like a nice 1155 setup it is.

That's what I did...went with a 2500k and z68 and it works plenty well for what I need it to do.

Just like Anandtech said, the 3820 is a good CPU if you want :
- Good Enough speeds (no crazy OC)
- A LOT OF RAM
- Several GPU

Thats F@lders, VideoEditors (20GB Ramdrives) etc etc.

If you are a gamer, get a 2500K.
If you are do a lot of encoding get a 3930K.

Back