No HDMI audio. Help!

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
Have connected my HTPC via HDMI out (AMD HD 5670) to my Onkyo 605 receiver which then passes the signal to my TV.

This results in video but no sound ('no signal') either from my TV or the speakers connected to the receiver. Plugging the same HDMI connection to the TV gets me sound and video, so the signal from my HTPC seems ok meaning it looks like the issue is with the Onkyo

I have both HDMI in ports on my Onkyo, and both give me video and no sound.

Have tied everything and googled the issue, but no success. Only info I found was several people reported the ssue but it was somehow fixed after "pushing various buttons" and they don't seem to know how they fixed it or the thread died, which really doesn't help me... Is this a known issue with these Onkyos? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
go to control panel, sound, and see if you can find one that corresponds to hdmi sound.

also, update your drivers if they are very old.

make sure your HDMI output is set as the output device in your sound controls. It will be labelled something like "ATI HD audio" or similar. Just to clarify, you hooked the HDMI directly to the TV and got no sound? in that case its definitely the computer's fault, not the receiver. If you haven't done that, then go ahead and try it (after making sure the HDMI audio device is selected in control panel) to see if you get sound out of the TV using a direct HDMI connection.

Back