"No Frills" overclockers board?

Zoson

Supreme [H]ardness
So if you take a gander at my sig, it's about time for me to get an upgrade.

Anyway, I'm a DIYER, and I cannot justify paying near $300, or even near $200 for a motherboard that includes a complex shiny heatpipe system to cool all of the components. Simply put, I'm just going to rip them all off and replace them with my own watercooled blocks.

With that said, is there a current no frills solution? I find things like onboard WiFi, onboard sound, and the like, useless. I just want a fast board with an enthusiast BIOS, a good layout, and none of the garbage.

well if u are updraging cup and ram as well they i really love my x2 4800+ & Asus M2N-E combo, great oc board, no frills great bios, asus make the best oc board out there.

if u are sticking with the same cpu and ram then i would look through asus's website and find a comparable board in the M2N-E for your cpu.

I'm happy with my 650i Ultra mobo - it's sold by both evga and xfx for about $99 often with a $20 MIR.

It has 4 sata, 1 ide, includes cables (rounded ide and floppy cables, which was nice), supports RAID. The Bios is okay, not great, but okay, supports 1333fsb cpus and it looks like support for 45nm cpus is coming soon.

With it, my e4400 is stable at 3.4ghz (8+ hrs Orthos small ffts) and 3Dmark06 stable at 3.6ghz. With the unlinked ram overclocking option, I can hit the above with either DDR2 667 Kingston valueram or OCZ Platinum high performance xtc DDR2 800 (very little if any performance difference between them when running the ram at 800).

The northbridge heatsink is a big passive block, and for overclocking needs some active cooling - either replace it or do what I did and put a fan on it.

I'm happy with my 650i Ultra mobo - it's sold by both evga and xfx for about $99 often with a $20 MIR.

It has 4 sata, 1 ide, includes cables (rounded ide and floppy cables, which was nice), supports RAID. The Bios is okay, not great, but okay, supports 1333fsb cpus and it looks like support for 45nm cpus is coming soon.

With it, my e4400 is stable at 3.4ghz (8+ hrs Orthos small ffts) and 3Dmark06 stable at 3.6ghz. With the unlinked ram overclocking option, I can hit the above with either DDR2 667 Kingston valueram or OCZ Platinum high performance xtc DDR2 800 (very little if any performance difference between them when running the ram at 800).

The northbridge heatsink is a big passive block, and for overclocking needs some active cooling - either replace it or do what I did and put a fan on it.

QFT! I own (4) eVGA 650i Ultra's and with the help of some mediocre GSkill DDR2-800 ram, my wife's setup is overclocked to 3.4ghz, completely stable on her E6420 processor!

E64203.4ghz.jpg

p35 FTW, nvidia boards are just too flakey. GB DS3R or P5K vanilla would be my first 2 choices...

Lets put votes out for the IP35-E, DS3L, P5K SE, DS3R, and regular P5K.

i also vote for Abit's IP35-E, can't beat it for $70 AR @ Mwave.

Back