No display, no POST!!!

Taffy Apple

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
376
Hiya,

I've been asked to look at a Compaq thats not booting. Now I was told that it crashed 1 day and just hasn't booted since.

It got power, but I get no display signal and no POST. I don't even get a beep or two even after taking the RAM out.

I figure the mobos fried, any1 second that or got something else I can try?

Cheers
 
if you have any spare stuff lying around start swapping parts. that would be my guess.
 
No can do. Its a Pentium 2 and I don't have any boards lying round.

Isn't the fact that I took the RAM out and didn't get any beeps enough to assume that its not posting because the mobo is fubar?
 
I'd just tell them nicely that they need a new computer due to motherboard failure. Chances are it is probably true in some way/shape/form ;).
 
Thats what I was thinking.

Does the fact that its onboard graphics and there's no display add weight to the assumption that the mobo is fcuked?
 
its a p2... let it rest in piece (make that pieces... its a compaq)


ok.. now for some acctuall help, pull the psu out and yank the mobo and see if what happens out of the case, reseat the cpu, and if theres a vga jumper on the motherboard, jumper it so it isnt useing onboard vid, no ram, no drives, just the processor and motherboard, if you still get nothing, its dim jed.... you might also look for a cmos clear jumper....beyod that... it makes for good target practice if you have a pellet gun... :D

thore
 
I had an older hp that i worked on (actually ive had 2) where a defective modem caused the system not to display POST info, maybe try removing all expansion cards, reseat everything including cpu, clear cmos and try again.
 
Back
Top