"No Burn-In" TIM?

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I just ordered all the parts for my new rig (E8400/Freezer 7 Pro for CPU/HSF), and I also ordered a tube of MX-2 to replace my 5 year old AS. The last time I built a computer (A socket A XP-M rig), I remember sitting for hours (really a day) watching the PC Health in the BIOS making sure my temps were safe before sitting down to install the OS.

This MX-2 says there's no burn in required, so does that mean I basically just need to do a cursory check of the BIOS to make sure I didn't F anything up too bad before installing the OS?

if you install the hsf wrong you should see a quick spike in temps. also if after a day you're idling at 50 its evidents there is a problem. ;)

Arctic Silver 5 can take a week to optimize and your temps will slowly and slightly drop. MX-2 no burn in means once you install it, there is no burn in time to optimization. However, in my testing AS5 is still cooler than anything else I've used, although since it's got silver it can conduct so MX-2 is safer if you ever worry about getting TIM anywhere else.

Thanks guys.

Another question.... Last time I built my system, the preferred method of applying TIM was the half BB in the middle, then gently spread using the side of a credit card.... Is that still the way to go? I saw somewhere suggesting a thin line down the middle where the cores are, then twisting the HSF, and somewhere else suggested the BB in the middle and then the gentle twist.

With LGA775 and a pin mounted HSF, is it possible to gently twist after pinning the HSF down, or do I try and twist, then pin down w/o breaking contract between the CPU and the HSF?

Thanks again!

With LGA775 and a pin mounted HSF, is it possible to gently twist after pinning the HSF down, or do I try and twist, then pin down w/o breaking contract between the CPU and the HSF?

I do the line method (as per AS5 instructions), then this. You hope to hell that the cooler doesn't tilt (and if it does, oh well) when you're pushing in the pins. Keep a thumb (or another person's hand) on the centre of the heatsink. Push the pins in a diagonal order.

I believe OCZ Freeze doesn't have any burn in time and reviews show that it is the best performing thermal compound, though performance differences average out to < 1 degree.

I'd follow the Artic Silver directions and use a line: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/cmq/ins_cmq_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

Based on the picture, it looks like that makes the most sense even with a non-AS product. As far as the HS tilting, do try and avoid that because if it raises up after you've squashed the line of paste down and then you sit it back down, you have more air in the thermal interface than you would otherwise.

What I do to try and avoid having the heatsink raise up or tilt in any way when I apply it is a "dry run" with no paste. With everything clean, just sit the heatsink on the CPU and make sure you can hold it level while you apply the pressure to attach at least the pins at opposite corners in a smooth fashion without struggling (don't actually attach them.) If you can do that with no paste, then when you apply the paste do the same and you should be good to go.

Oh yeah. And the Zalman stuff that has a brush included is supposedly zero burn-in. I can't remember which website used it. Might have been [H] or SPCR.

Oh yeah. And the Zalman stuff that has a brush included is supposedly zero burn-in. I can't remember which website used it. Might have been [H] or SPCR.

[H] uses that Zalman TIM.

So I have ordered all the components for my new computer, and I was kinda dissapointed to see that all of my newegg/buy.com packages would be here by Friday (don't lie to me UPS.com!), but my fan/TIM package from Petra's wouldn't be here until Monday.

After checking the arctic cooling website, it turns out the the cooler ships with MX-2 preapplied to it. (And my case comes with a couple of fans... I can run it with the side off if I need to for a couple of days). So this means I'll be able to build my computer this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After checking the arctic cooling website, it turns out the the cooler ships with MX-2 preapplied to it. (And my case comes with a couple of fans... I can run it with the side off if I need to for a couple of days). So this means I'll be able to build my computer this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its hilarious, however I've seen people scrape off that MX-2 and put on seperately purchased MX-2 :D

Back