No Bezel 3Monitor setup.

Pretty neat although a little bulky. I'm assuming it doesn't handle different viewing angles well.

dragon_glass.jpg

dragon_side.jpg

It's not all that bad. Build a small lip or something to cover the monitor on the bottom.

I agree, dudewth, It's not for a lan party!

very cool.

I thought of something like this a while back but just don't have the ambition or the know how to actually do it.

The zero bezel is cool but not to nitpick or anything but shouldn't the two side monitors be angled somewhat for more immersive viewing? Or they are and I'm just not seeing it due to camera angle in the picture? :)

that speaker placement....

Ya that has always amused me, how many people will build epic display setups and then not only have poor quality audio, but have it positioned wrong. For me, sound is more than half of the experience.

While these setups have no bezels, they do have serious trade offs. Like the obvious image transition and image disparity. Not to mention having to sit in the "sweet pot" at all times. Found that out the hard way with my 3x FW900 fresnel setup. Not to mention look how far he is sitting away from the Image. Just isn't worth it. My attention has moved away from eyefinity and all of its problems and more towards 4k single displays.

uhhh....doesn't that huge and ugly box count as a bezel?

Pretty cool project just for the sake of trying something new though.

While these setups have no bezels, they do have serious trade offs. Like the obvious image transition and image disparity. Not to mention having to sit in the "sweet pot" at all times. Found that out the hard way with my 3x FW900 fresnel setup. Not to mention look how far he is sitting away from the Image. Just isn't worth it. My attention has moved away from eyefinity and all of its problems and more towards 4k single displays.

Thanks for chiming in Vega...what are you running these days?

Thanks for chiming in Vega...what are you running these days?

A 27" catleap at 132 Hz. Probably will run that for a while as I don't know how well a 4k monitor would work for me running at 60Hz.

uhhh....doesn't that huge and ugly box count as a bezel?

The only bezels that matter are the ones between monitors that mess with anything displayed across monitors.

Im not sure of the view angles, as the second photo shows it being quite off to the side. As far as being in the sweet spot, I agree there's a 'spot' that you get to take everything in, but it's not really a big deal. How often do you move your chair around from a single spot?

I don't know what it is like with 3D, but im running dual 30 + 19" without any real complaints. ...Besides trying to coax new games at high res with eyecandy is a feat of strength.

That has to be the most extravagant waste of money on a sound system that i've ever seen. Two Logitech z906 systems with the worst speaker placement imaginable, whats the point.

I certainly do not think Logitech makes anything that sounds decent, speaker placement is probably not on the high priority list. :)

The Logitech Z-5500 is a pretty nice sounding 5.1 system. It's done me well for a good many years so far.

Why cant they just make ultra ultra wide monitors.. I know that there are limitations with GPU res, deadpixel count, cost etc etc etc. but christ.. there is a market for 21:9+

Yeah but that was 2880x900 (though I remember it being 720p for some reason) and $6k+ and still bad for gaming, it was more a concept than production model for market...

If they made a 32:10 ish monitor with 1200p for under $1200 I guarantee it would be a hit as long as it hit all the check boxes that gamers need.

Last edited:
I think I cant mentally block out some bezels in lieu of having to have this monster on my desk and that glare, and horrible speaker placement. Ugh. Pass.

Input lag!!! Also response time, ghosting, refresh rates, etc...

A 27" catleap at 132 Hz. Probably will run that for a while as I don't know how well a 4k monitor would work for me running at 60Hz.

Ah I see. I noticed you said the other day that you haven't messed with 3D much. I've really been wondering about 3D Surround as a viable way to forget about bezels. Have you seen 3D Surround?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351440/do-bezels-dissapear-with-3d-vision-surround/0_50

Last edited:
A couple replies on this topic-

The prototype is not really meant to be used as desktop display replacement. There is no replacing my wfp3007-hc for real gaming. ;) In fact the whole reason I built this was to test the proof-of-concept display for a multi-screen arcade cab I'll be building later this spring. If folks are interested I'll post a link to the BYOAC forum build log when I start the cabinet. Here is the game that will be used as theme for the future arcade cab: Syder Arcade

In terms of viewing angle, when the glass and monitors align perfectly there would be no 'sweet spot'. In fact it would appear as a seamless display from any angle. A good example of a seamless display from any angle using a half-mirror would be the Darius Burst Arcade cabinet.

I encourage those who are interested to read my original thread at WSGF for my thoughts on what worked, what didn't work, what I would do differently, etc. There are some trade-offs of using a half-mirrored display system and I go into some details over at WSGF. In terms of a BOM cost, it was fairly reasonable since I was able to acquire these used monitors for literally pennies on the dollar. The hardest part was finding a used mirror flip box. Overall it was about $250 to build.
3x 20" monitors $10
Wood $30
Vinyl Laminate $25
Glass with silver tint $70
Used Mirror-flip inverter $120

The speaker comments are amusing. :D I'm actually in the process of moving to a new house and had to re-arrange speaker placement to test this display monstrosity. Z906's are actually a really good deal when purchased using a logitech 50% coupon and an EPP discount. Even the most ardent audiophile would be hard pressed to pass these us when they are ~$130 shipped.

Cheers
-Truecade

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure, if you don't mind an image disparity line right down the center of the image.

I think it would work out better having 2 monitors below, 1 above, and having them all mirrored on a single mirror, to get rid of the mirror lip.

Why is the middle on horizontal and the two side vertical? Can you use 3x 27 " 2560x1440 monitors?

I think it would work out better having 2 monitors below, 1 above, and having them all mirrored on a single mirror, to get rid of the mirror lip.

I don't believe this would work due to the way the image is passing through the half-mirror on one side and being reflected on the other.

I am interested. Will this work for two monitors?

Yes, but Vega is correct in that there will always be some kind of 'seam' where the images are joined. I have seen setups where this seam is almost invisible (Darius Burst Arcade), but you would have to use true beam-splitter glass (very expensive) and the monitors would have to be of equal image quality. 2 monitor is do-able, but a 3-monitor setup is better.

Why is the middle on horizontal and the two side vertical? Can you use 3x 27 " 2560x1440 monitors?

The image passes through the half-mirror for the vertical monitors and is reflected off the half-mirror for the horizontal monitor. See my original thread at WSGF for a full explanation of the concept.

This setup could theoretically be used on any # of monitors, but the mirror box would be a bit unwieldy. This particular prototype is exactly 20" deep, which for reference is the same depth as a Sony FW900.

Again, this is just a proof of concept I had in the back of my mind for several months and is not really meant to be a desktop display replacement. I like to build things, and this was a fun weekend project. :)

Back