No 360 controller support for Bioshock

While I don't support it. I can understand why they did it.

I love their pure bullshit excuse for why they didn't. If by "get the mouse and keyboard controls right" they meant royally fuck it up in nearly every way they succeeded.

wait... 360 controller for a PC shooter?

Bioshock is a FPS right?

whytf would you want to play a shooter w/ a 360 controller?

I love their pure bullshit excuse for why they didn't. If by "get the mouse and keyboard controls right" they meant royally fuck it up in nearly every way they succeeded.

yup. It's ridiculous that they didn't include it. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but bioshock is one of those FPS's that worked VERY VERY well using a controller. (I actually prefer it over a mouse and keyboard)

I'm not buying their excuses... they didn't want to pay to develop it, plain and simple.

Wow, that's hilarious.

"The decision was made early on not to support controllers at all in order to ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right." This included changing certain HUD elements to better fit the keyboard layout.

What does that even mean? They sound like politicians.
Not that I care about using a controller, but I really do wonder what the REAL excuse was.

Wow, that's hilarious.

Not that I care about using a controller, but I really do wonder what the REAL excuse was.

I thought it was pretty cut and dry. They didn't want the controls to feel like it's "port controls" like say Halo 2 (first thing that comes to mind) where playing with a mouse was atrocious but if I played it with a gamepad I had a lot more control in that game.

I thought it was pretty cut and dry. They didn't want the controls to feel like it's "port controls" like say Halo 2 (first thing that comes to mind) where playing with a mouse was atrocious but if I played it with a gamepad I had a lot more control in that game.

They failed, miserably.

Take your word on it for now with doubt. I haven't really had time to test. I just played a tiny bit yesterday and it SEEMED fine for 5 minutes. Pretty responsive, but then again didn't fight anything.

Wow, that's hilarious.

lol I have no idea. The politician analogy is perfect :p

Seriously though, the PC version of the first game had a totally different HUD from the 360 version (and would use the 360 versions HUD if you used/enabled a 360 controller)

I don't see why they couldn't do it again with this one. Very disappointing... bioshock 1 was one of the few games that actually got controller integration right on a PC game :(

Strange they didn't include 360 controller support. I thought part of the primary GFWL requirements was that the game HAD to be fully compatible with it.

Strange they didn't include 360 controller support. I thought part of the primary GFWL requirements was that the game HAD to be fully compatible with it.

Right, this is the only game I can think of that violates that rule. :confused:
I hope a future patch can remedy this issue.
Very strange though.

GFWL title has to support the xbox 360 controller!!! (unless its an rts) I actually could not stand the mouse controls in the first one, so played through it with a controller as well.

Honestly I can't imagine playing an FPS with a controller - the only games I really like controllers for are third-person games and most side scrollers. I have had zero issues with using the game with a mouse.

Generally, I prefer to play with a keyboard and mouse. But I may be among the minority of PC games who also hooks up their PC to a TV and plays on the couch at times. People say to just get a console then, but I get the benefit of better graphics the PC offers and the experience of playing on a couch and TV.

Why would the developer take that option away? PC gaming is all about being flexible and offering all these options to play on a desk, laptop on the go and on a TV like a console. A laptop is especially beneficial to hook up to a TV like a console and play with a controller!

That's why I'd also like other games like Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 2 to have controller support. Some PC games that offer both control options even change the GUI to fit the keyboard/mouse or controller.

PC gamers get all this bad news and crap from the publishers and developers, we rightfully complain but then are called out by many douchebag console gamers for being elitist, stuck-up, spoiled, etc. Can't we get a break? :(

Well, everyone protesting that a FPS does not have 360 controller really should be banned from this forum! Gosh....

wait... 360 controller for a PC shooter?

Bioshock is a FPS right?

whytf would you want to play a shooter w/ a 360 controller?

1. i have a home-theater
2. i don't care about multi-player. i just want the best single-player experience possible (PC is the obvious choice)
3. i don't have a mouse/keyboard combo for my couch yet so 360 wireless controller is my only method right now
4. the game is listed as GFWL.. isn't 360 controller support a requirement? controller worked great for Batman:AA, Borderlands (another 2K game), and even the first Bioshock... why change that?

i already got it on steam... have it installed and everything. no controller support is a deal-breaker though. right now i'm trying to find out if 2K plans to eventually patch controller support or should i just go ahead and download the 360 version.

If you recall......Bioshock 1 had some pretty dicked up controls at release.....I don,t quite recall the exact problem, but it had to be patched immediately at release.

I would imagine thr developer just wanted one set to work well from the jump.

There were several console port problems with the first game that took forever to fix......widescreen support was one I can remember......and the "activation limit"......

Sounds like this release has it right.

4. the game is listed as GFWL.. isn't 360 controller support a requirement? controller worked great for Batman:AA, Borderlands (another 2K game), and even the first Bioshock... why change that?

not necessarily. I believe that if they add controller support then they have to support the 360 controller (or something like that). They don't have to support it though unfortunately. It would be nice if MS made it a DX12 requirement or something

If the game is available for 360 they should also support the 360 controller for the PC.

2k sucks. They didn't even upgrade graphics for the PC version. What's their excuse? Cause 360 didn't get one either? :rolleyes:

Ummm if the controls are right for the PC then just add an option to have the SAME EXACT CONTROLS AS THE 360 VERSION... I'm loving the game but this sort of laziness bothers me as a pc gamer.

Ummm if the controls are right for the PC then just add an option to have the SAME EXACT CONTROLS AS THE 360 VERSION... I'm loving the game but this sort of laziness bothers me as a pc gamer.

For games like Bioshock thats easy and I agree, however for some games its not that easy.

I'm not buying their excuses... they didn't want to pay to develop it, plain and simple.
They didn't have to "pay" for anything. They could have just copied the code from the first one for it like they did with most of the game.

Shit. I can't believe for a game that includes as much copied code as original code that they've fucked it up so much. The same widescreen issue that was eventually patched out of the first game? Back in the second!! 360 controller support like the first game? Nope! Cut!

But it has multiplayer, right? Yeah, you guys don't care as long as we threw that garbage in, right?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thought they left out joystick support because it conflicted with mouse aiming.

Seriously though who the f*ck uses a controller for an FPS on the PC???? I could care less as long as the mouse/keyboard works well enough.

I still can't get on GFWL so this ones out for me but it sounds promising enough. I'll get it on Steam holiday sale for 5 bucks in a year if I get GFWL working.

Yeah, honestly, Bioshock isn't really a traditional FPS - precision aiming just isn't important in this game. The other thing to keep in mind here is that if you actually did use the 360 controller while playing the original Bioshock, then you'll know that the 360 controller support for that game was probably the best implementation of such that has ever been done - force feedback in particular was superb, but they also mapped the buttons perfectly.

For me personally, the analog movement, which allowed me to slow down, and sweep about Rapture as though I was in control of a camera, also made it so that I never experienced motion sickness - I can play Bioshock 2 for about 45 minutes, at which time I feel nauseated. This is just no fun at all, so for me this actually is a pretty big deal.

Xpadder, by the way, doesn't allow for analog movement, so that's just not the solution here. To make matters worse, there isn't a walk toggle. For me, this game plays ridiculously fast. It's almost like watching a cartoon on fast-forward.

But why remove something that worked so beautifully? Okay, so maybe the OP doesn't understand why this was such a big deal for me - but it was. I'm tolerating the control scheme right now, but the removal of the 360 controller support was profoundly disappointing to learn about on release day.

Yeah, honestly, Bioshock isn't really a traditional FPS - precision aiming just isn't important in this game. The other thing to keep in mind here is that if you actually did use the 360 controller while playing the original Bioshock, then you'll know that the 360 controller support for that game was probably the best implementation of such that has ever been done - force feedback in particular was superb, but they also mapped the buttons perfectly.

For me personally, the analog movement, which allowed me to slow down, and sweep about Rapture as though I was in control of a camera, also made it so that I never experienced motion sickness - I can play Bioshock 2 for about 45 minutes, at which time I feel nauseated. This is just no fun at all, so for me this actually is a pretty big deal.

Xpadder, by the way, doesn't allow for analog movement, so that's just not the solution here. To make matters worse, there isn't a walk toggle. For me, this game plays ridiculously fast. It's almost like watching a cartoon on fast-forward.

But why remove something that worked so beautifully? Okay, so maybe the OP doesn't understand why this was such a big deal for me - but it was. I'm tolerating the control scheme right now, but the removal of the 360 controller support was profoundly disappointing to learn about on release day.

Check out my Bioshock 2 fixes topic and see if you can find a way to map the toggle walk key to R3 or L3 (or whatever they're called on the 360 controller) with the custom config I linked to in the topic. It won't be a perfect solution, but it might be a work around for now.

guessing there is no controller support for the same reason cod 6 didnt have it. if you want to use the 360 controller they want you to buy the 360 version

Wow, the 360 version is insanely ugly. It's just so inferior to the PC version. When I was at the store this afternoon, knowing what I knew about the lack of controller support, I almost did buy the 360 version. I stood there looking at it for about five minutes. But it's just crap.

The 360 is definitely on its last legs. If you have kick-ass PC there's just no competition here. Our state of the art GPUs (if you have a present generation card) make the 360 look like something you might find in a box of Cracker Jack's.

Check out my Bioshock 2 fixes topic and see if you can find a way to map the toggle walk key to R3 or L3 (or whatever they're called on the 360 controller) with the custom config I linked to in the topic. It won't be a perfect solution, but it might be a work around for now.

But that's the point - there is no walk key. 2K patched this into the original game when so many people complained about its omission. They either forgot to add the walk toggle into Bioshock 2, or they just didn't bother.

Either way, it's a pretty bad sign.

I thought that one of the reasons we play on PCs was because of customization? Why are so many developers shoving this in our faces, and removing customization. It's almost like they... hate the PC.

But that's the point - there is no walk key. 2K patched this into the original game when so many people complained about its omission. They either forgot to add the walk toggle into Bioshock 2, or they just didn't bother.

Either way, it's a pretty bad sign.

I thought that one of the reasons we play on PCs was because of customization? Why are so many developers shoving this in our faces, and removing customization. It's almost like they... hate the PC.

Well I didn't say it was a perfect solution. If you haven't yet toss your name in the hat in the Patch thread or the controller thread on the official forums. The more people that complain to Elizabeth the more reason her bosses and the devs have to get it fixed.

Wow, the 360 version is insanely ugly. It's just so inferior to the PC version. When I was at the store this afternoon, knowing what I knew about the lack of controller support, I almost did buy the 360 version. I stood there looking at it for about five minutes. But it's just crap.

The 360 is definitely on its last legs. If you have kick-ass PC there's just no competition here. Our state of the art GPUs (if you have a present generation card) make the 360 look like something you might find in a box of Cracker Jack's.

Agreed. I saw a demo kiosk of the 360 version at my Microcenter along with a PS3 kiosk of Dragon Age: Origins. Ugh.

I'd like as many games to be ported to the PC at least to play them at higher settings, on a laptop for on to go in the future, mod support, etc. The consoles can get the games as well but it would be a shame to leave these games exclusive to consoles when they can come to PC as well with all of the platform's advantages. The 360 and PS3 will still be around for a while with no replacements in sight and the gap between the PC and consoles will keep growing. I wonder how much the next gen of consoles will bridge the gap or they'll be a small hardware upgrade like the Wii?

Last edited:
On a related, yet unrelated note, what games do you guys play with the Xbox 360 controller on PC? Just curious cause I've been considering buying an Xbox 360 controller just to have the option to play with one if I desire. I have no problem playing with it wired. It plugs in USB port, yes?

On a related, yet unrelated note, what games do you guys play with the Xbox 360 controller on PC? Just curious cause I've been considering buying an Xbox 360 controller just to have the option to play with one if I desire. I have no problem playing with it wired. It plugs in USB port, yes?

It works very well in games that have good support for it. And yeah it just plugs in and Windows grabs the drivers for you. There are updated drivers on MS' site though that will help in some games.

thank you sir, what games do you guys play with the controller though? That's what i'm wonderin

thank you sir, what games do you guys play with the controller though? That's what i'm wonderin

Assassin's Creed, Dirt 2, NFS: Shift (I have a wheel now for those two, but I did use the controller), Halo 2, Battlestations Midway and Pacific (switch between the controller and mouse and keyboard depending on the vehicle). Thats all I can think of off hand, but I know I've used it in more game. I've tried it out for a few minutes in most GfW games I own just to see how it feels.

hmmm, seems superfluous then, I do know that Bioshock 1 supports Xbox 360 controls, I need to play thru that game again damn.

hmmm, seems superfluous then, I do know that Bioshock 1 supports Xbox 360 controls, I need to play thru that game again damn.

Depends on how you like to play games. I grew up playing both PC and consoles, I'm comfortable with either. That being said, a lot of genres of FPS or RTS I am only comfortable with with a mouse and keyboard. I've been playing FPS games for most of my life and until recently it was all on the PC (Golden Eye 64 aside). So this new wave of console shooters just passes me by because I have don't the desire to learn to use a controller on them, it simply feels wrong when I play them that way. RTS are mostly a matter of a controller never being good for them unless they're designed that way from the get-go (Halo Wars, for example).

First thing I heard about this game was that the mouse control sucks like the first one, it's not surprise really, consoles need acceleration on the input because they have a maximum set speed at which they can rotate which hinders control in a first person view.

Bioshock 2 like a lot of other console ports will have left in heavy mouse acceleration on the input.

I really need to update www.pcgamingstandards.com and add bioshock 2 because it sounds like a shining example of how not to make a game with broken widescreen, FOV, mouse acceleration etc.

Back