Nintendo Now Permanently Banning Switch Users with Illegal Games from Online Play

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Following the publication of two unpatchable exploits and a hacking tool for installing pirated games, Nintendo is implementing security measures that will ban any gamecard that does not return the right certification data for online play. It appears that illegally obtained games would still work offline, however.

It is quite easy for Nintendo to detect when a game is being shared. Nintendo can verify whether the device ID associated with the certification matches the device ID for the device that's trying to connect. If they aren't the same, then it results in the game being banned from online services. In addition, these certifications cannot be forged.

As long as it works as expected I don't care. Now when they mess up and start banning a bunch of legit stuff I'll be laughing my ass off at them.

Doesn't sound like a real issue to me, I plan on buying a switch and never see me going online with it and Im sure I'm not the only one lol. Not saying I'd pirate games but the threat of losing online multiplayer on a Nintendo platform isn't very big, Nintendo has always been the single player/same room as my friends systems

depends on the certificate's encryption... it's older SHA1, it's already busted.

SHA-1 is a has for validity, not a certificate encryption algorithm, that would be RSA or the like. Also you need to read up more on the hash collisions. A hash being "broken" doesn't mean you can make any arbitrary data you want and get it to match the has of other data, it means given sufficient time and resources you can find data that collides with a given has, but that data is going to be garbage generated to make the hash collision, not an arbitrary set of data you want.

They did the same with the 3DS. Every physical game has a unique value in it's header data that was used in all online connections. All Nintendo had to do was see if the same header was used by multiple people at the same time and they'd hand the bans out like candy. I'll believe they're effective this time around when I see it.

I never went online to play a game on my DS/3DS.
Only local game sharing with Pokemon battles and Mario Cart.

As long as these games work the same on the Switch, I'd never bother going on line with it.

Maybe if Nintendo hadn't upped the price on the games to $60, (compared to the $40 3ds games) there wouldn't be as much interest in piracy.

As long as these games work the same on the Switch, I'd never bother going on line with it.

Maybe if Nintendo hadn't upped the price on the games to $60, (compared to the $40 3ds games) there wouldn't be as much interest in piracy.

The homebrew scene is starting to really take off for it as well. I know a bunch of emulators have been ported(which makes sense because nintendo seems to have decided virtual console isn't a thing anymore except for their shitty online system).

The Switch isn't exactly like a PS4 or Xbox One. If you own a Switch then you'll be using it as a 3DS like device, which means you're not going to be connected to the internet all the time. Also, Nintendo isn't known for multiplayer games, but single player. If you get banned, then oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

confused - are they banning that GAME or your SYSTEM? (headline says system, quotes say game card)

anyway, I hacked my gamecube,ds, and wii but never bothered with wii u or 3ds.. doubt I will with switch either.

Back