Nintendo Discontinues the NES Classic Edition

you're under the assumption that most people aren't mouth breathing idiots.

well i have i got news for you.

Its $60 for an official well designed product that doesn't look like a Raspberry Pi in a case.

Some people will actually spend money for a quality product.

So stop with the "only a chump would buy the real thing". A Raspberry Pi is whhoooolllleeee other thing.

Forget nes roms, download all them roms on a raspberry pi, this build of retropie downloads all nes/snes/genesis/gameboy and atari roms for you.

Doe these raspberry pie emulator consoles handle the scaling for modern HDTV's? That is the only reason I am considering a Retro Freak console at the $200 import price...plus it does rip the cartridges I already own for "legal" roms.

95% sure that was sarcasm.
Well the thing is I was paraphrasing a statement almost to the letter that I saw elsewhere and decided to parrot here, except in the middle of what can only be argued as a completely inexcusable decision by Nintendo on pretty much every level. I guess I can see where it would trigger some Poe's Law reactions.

Its $60 for an official well designed product that doesn't look like a Raspberry Pi in a case.

Some people will actually spend money for a quality product.

So stop with the "only a chump would buy the real thing". A Raspberry Pi is whhoooolllleeee other thing.

I wrote in another thread about $600 cases "how a person spends their money is how they spend their money", and it's 100% true here. There's nothing wrong with someone spending their own money for a product they personally think I worth it.

Typical Nintendo... I have an old school gaming set up with a 36 inch Sony Tube TV and the original NES. Still, I wanted this for my HDMI living room.

You might actually be better off with the tube TV. The input lag and response time of HDTVs becomes very noticeable in a lot of NES games, much more noticeable than it is in modern games since so many NES games are very twitchy. I could even tell the difference between my "gaming" 144hz monitor and my "normal" Dell e-IPS monitor, and every HDTV I've ever seen is worse than that Dell

except neither of us said he's dumb for buying either one. I've got thousands and thousands of dollars worth of nice stuff that I could have cheaped out on, and cheap stuff that's close enough to nice. I spent like $1500 on one of my AR uppers, but I also own a $400 Taurus 1911. Neither product has ever given me a single issue. We were both merely commenting on the people afraid to get a Pi setup because it would take a weekend and a ton of tinkering.

Now that being said, you're argument is flawed. You are comparing a retail price that's barely ever seen the light of day and now never will be seen again. That's like someone saying hey, if you're gonna spend 5 grand on a car why not get a new 69 Corvette, they were under 5 grand when they came out. If you want to accurately talk about this, you gotta talk $300+ price that they are going for right this second on Ebay.

And this is [H], you can't expect some one here not to say something when talking about a $300 NES only emulator when there are readily available more [H] options out there. That's like going over to the water cooling forums and saying hey, cut this shit out, why can't you be happy with a TRUE 120?

Customer or not customer, you really are just a digit in a spreadsheet lol. I think we put too much stock in that label anymore. "the customer is always right" went to so many peoples heads they though that was a free pass to treat people like crap.

"Customer is always right" motto is strictly designed for businesses (by basically treating your customer as gods), not for customers.

The motto essentially made customers think they are all gods, while it was supposed only to get businesses treat their customers like gods.

Doe these raspberry pie emulator consoles handle the scaling for modern HDTV's? That is the only reason I am considering a Retro Freak console at the $200 import price...plus it does rip the cartridges I already own for "legal" roms.

The ripped ROMs from Retro Freak are encrypted and locked to that specific device only. You cannot use them on any other device, nor can you transfer ROMs from one Retro Freak to another (IE a pain in the ass if your Retro Freak happens to break down). This only really matters if you are copying all of your cartridges onto the built in storage however, it's a non-issue if you use it like it's the console itself (IE only run games off the inserted cartridges). If you want a proper ROM ripping console that you can use elsewhere, I believe the Alternative is RetroN, but RetroN supports fewer consoles than RetroFreak.

So for that reason alone, I'd actually prefer downloading the ROMS for the cartridges you already own and play it on a more flexible environment.

The best thing to come out of RetroFreak, IMHO, is the universal USB adapter, that thing allows you to convert several of the old control pads (off the top of my head, NES, SNES/SFC, PC-E and Sega) into USB control pads (the converter supposedly can be used on windows as well, I have been meaning to try it but opted to buy a Dualshock 4 with Wireless dongle instead).

These are my on paper research though, I have never bought RetroFreak or RetroN, just paraphrasing my Google-fu research.

The Raspberry pie 3 natively outputs at 1080p/60hz.

The ripped ROMs from Retro Freak are encrypted and locked to that specific device only. You cannot use them on any other device, nor can you transfer ROMs from one Retro Freak to another (IE a pain in the ass if your Retro Freak happens to break down). This only really matters if you are copying all of your cartridges onto the built in storage however, it's a non-issue if you use it like it's the console itself (IE only run games off the inserted cartridges). If you want a proper ROM ripping console that you can use elsewhere, I believe the Alternative is RetroN, but RetroN supports fewer consoles than RetroFreak.

So for that reason alone, I'd actually prefer downloading the ROMS for the cartridges you already own and play it on a more flexible environment.

The best thing to come out of RetroFreak, IMHO, is the universal USB adapter, that thing allows you to convert several of the old control pads (off the top of my head, NES, SNES/SFC, PC-E and Sega) into USB control pads (the converter supposedly can be used on windows as well, I have been meaning to try it but opted to buy a Dualshock 4 with Wireless dongle instead).

These are my on paper research though, I have never bought RetroFreak or RetroN, just paraphrasing my Google-fu research.

The Raspberry pie 3 natively outputs at 1080p/60hz.

Can't speak to the retro freak, but as for the retron, stay away from their latest. the 5 is a mess. Sure it's got it's place for translated jap carts for RPG's but the lag is such a bitch I don't mess with it much. I use it to test out if a cart is working just so I don't have to hook up as many consoles at the same time but other then that, avoid it.

Maybe this Nintendo was a kinda Trojan horse. A way to hype Nintendo and then show/sell the Nintendo switch?

O, and one thing I did forget to mention, the whole "well designed" goes right out the window if you've ever actually used one. Buddy of mine got one, kinda pissed still because we were both trolling amazon to get one and I only got as far as getting it into my cart, for like a second before amazon went down. Anyways, he opened it, another thing I told him not to do lol, but have you used one yet? The cord is stupid short, so you pretty much have to get the wireless controllers as well, which bumps the price up. And you have to get up to hit the buttons on the console. A little bit of thought into a "well engineered" piece would have had much longer cords, and some sort of reset button, or at least key combo, built into the controller. Now I did only play with it that one day, so maybe there was a key combo to reset that we just didn't figure out, but come on, it's a far shot from being well engineered, a few cents worth of wire could have given us at least a 6-8 foot cord, or built in bluetooth or something.

O, and one thing I did forget to mention, the whole "well designed" goes right out the window if you've ever actually used one. Buddy of mine got one, kinda pissed still because we were both trolling amazon to get one and I only got as far as getting it into my cart, for like a second before amazon went down. Anyways, he opened it, another thing I told him not to do lol, but have you used one yet? The cord is stupid short, so you pretty much have to get the wireless controllers as well, which bumps the price up. And you have to get up to hit the buttons on the console. A little bit of thought into a "well engineered" piece would have had much longer cords, and some sort of reset button, or at least key combo, built into the controller. Now I did only play with it that one day, so maybe there was a key combo to reset that we just didn't figure out, but come on, it's a far shot from being well engineered, a few cents worth of wire could have given us at least a 6-8 foot cord, or built in bluetooth or something.

Why not just use a longer HDMI cable when hooking up the classic?

So every time I want to play the classic games, instead of just pulling my PS4 controller out of the couch cubby and hitting the live button, I have to go buy a 20 foot HDMI cord and run it all the way to my couch, and then an extension cord for the uSB brick, or another 9-15 foot USB cord for the brick then run both of those to the device and sit it next to me on the couch? I've got a 15 month old who is curious as fuck, so I can't do that any time she's awake or she's going to start prodding around and pulling things, thats why every other device that has been released for the last decade is able to be stored on a entertainment stand behind a baby gate and I can operate everything I need without stuff for my toddler to mess with. I even had to build a TV stand to get it higher so she can't hit it with toys and stuff, why the hell would I want a product that can't even mimic the same basic use pattern as their last 3 consoles they've released, 4 if you include the wireless controller for the GameCube but that is a bit of a stretch I'll give you that. Since 2006 at a minimum Nintendo has overcome this issue, 2005 for MSFT and 2006 for Sony. Why would a proven design roll back?

No, that's just poor design. And there are cheaper and more powerful and better designed systems out there that have handled that issue and allow me to do more for less.

Back