Nintendo Discontinues the NES Classic Edition

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Nintendo has revealed that they hate money by discontinuing the NES Classic Edition, which debuted in November 2016 and continues to be in high demand. I just looked it up on Amazon, and it’s going for $167 even though the MSRP is $60. What a joke.

…a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  2. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

The fucking thing hasn't been in stock since the day it came out due to scalpers literally buying the entire stock at every store because they know Nintendo pulls this bullshit with every new product. Nintendo's market strategy is fucking baffling.

3. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

I called this one..

2 days after launch.

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

My inability to find one of these in stores prompted me to make my own. No regrets.

Sorce, N4CR, captaindiptoad and 13 others like this.
  5. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Pretty sure they are the ones selling them on amazon and ebay for 4X the price

6. MOS8580

MOS8580 n00b

I think Nintendo is just being diplomatic and cutting bait.

The Classic has been hacked wide open and can be modified to run the entire back catalog of ROMs. Their security engineers are still years behind the curve and not only had no clue how to lock it down at launch but have no idea how to do it going forward.

Scalpers win again, too. Before it was in short supply, now there's no supply. Of course, Nintendo didn't really mind the scalpers as it benefits them greatly to have people wanting something they can't buy except at 3x the price or higher. I'm surprised their response didn't include "But you can buy a Switch and download lots of great games from the eshop!"

captaindiptoad and Ur_Mom like this.
  7. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

i like that nintendo is literally circling the drain.

its kinda apropos that them fucking sony is the beginning of their end.

look as sony now.

tikiman2012 and Ur_Mom like this.
  8. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

Nintendo... you suck.

Friday21 likes this.
  9. caw2007

caw2007 [H]ard|Gawd

Get ready to start hunting for the SNES Classic, coming in November! And in 2018, the N64 Classic..

zero2dash, /dev/null and Sonicks like this.
  10. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

11. leathco016

leathco016 Limp Gawd

Just build your own with a Raspberry Pi. It's hard to feel sorry for Nintendo and piracy issues when they make it impossible to purchase their products.

12. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Yar it will be like 'tickle me elmo' each holiday for Nintendo.

13. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Not to worry, it'll magically be re-continued come holiday '17 with the same supply issues.

It seems Nintendo knows they can drive hype/demand through the roof if they create artificial supply shortages.

As mentioned above, I also went the route of doing this myself and then some with the Raspberry Pi 3 specifically because I couldn't get my hands on a NES Classic.

viscountalpha and Darunion like this.
  14. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

It was just an experiment to see if they were actually losing out on old games that people emulate. If this was popular it means there's still a market there, and now they know just how aggressive they should be with their takedown notices, anti-piracy litigation, etc. :p

sleepeeg3 likes this.
  15. NeghVar

NeghVar 2[H]4U

now watch for that next spike in downloading NES roms

16. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Ditto, I really wanted one but raspi to the rescue, and was not really hard to set up. Just put in a plastic box case but grab some usb nintendo controllers and you are set.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  17. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

Forget nes roms, download all them roms on a raspberry pi, this build of retropie downloads all nes/snes/genesis/gameboy and atari roms for you.

Red Falcon and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  18. Pusher of Buttons

Pusher of Buttons [H]ard|Gawd

Completely makes sense. Why keep selling a dirt cheap, high margin, high demand product that the market actually wants?

19. Master_shake_

because the switch.

LOVE IT!

20. CanonicalAbstract

CanonicalAbstract Special Attention Whore

WTG Nintendo.
    Good thing I would much rather have the OG system with whatever games I want.

21. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I wanted one. At MSRP. I was going to wait for the scalpers to stop their BS before I got one. Sadly, Nintendo fucked that up.

What's that piracy thing, again? Availability & cost. If it's not available at a reasonable cost, people will pirate?

Nintendo is not losing sales. They just aren't making things for sale for people to buy. People WANT to buy this. They want to pay MSRP for it, not 4x as much. Make it available with reasonable supply, and make $$.

I think this will really drive hype for the SNES Classic. Scalpers will be all over that shit.

22. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Nintendo is like your bipolar ex-girlfriend. You can never tell WTF is going through their heads. When it's good, it's great! And when it's bad... watch out, lock up the knives and guns, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

23. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Nintendo is just mad that consumers like their old stuff better than their new stuff.

Nah, I don't want the bullshit Switch device. I want the consoles before Nintendo became a bunch of asshats.

Armenius, sleepeeg3, Burticus and 2 others like this.
  24. MOS8580

MOS8580 n00b

If you still have a CRT TV laying around, $120 or so gets you an Everdrive N8: a flash cart that will accept a microSD card loaded with ROMs and emulate original cartridge hardware on a real machine. A small investment of around $275 for the whole set up including a good-condition console with controllers and a swank high-res composite monitor (well, compared to TVs of the day) put a collection in my game room that would have caused my 10 year old self to drool profusely.

25. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

I'm wondering if they didn't realize that stuffing well known commodity hardware running on *nix with plenty of unused drive space would result in a box that would proliferate pirating of their own games?

26. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Just wanted to say nice nick-name! I actually have about ten 8580s in a tube right now. :D

MOS8580 likes this.
  27. toooskies

toooskies n00b

They're clearly designing edition 2, which locks down the drive and adds an e-store for all those games that aren't on it yet.

28. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

Typical Nintendo... I have an old school gaming set up with a 36 inch Sony Tube TV and the original NES. Still, I wanted this for my HDMI living room. I would have happily let Nintendo take my money if not for the fact IT WAS NEVER IN STOCK! Maybe it was the fact that a huge portion of the sales went to scalpers. Maybe it was Nintendo just trolling us. Unfortunately, being a child of the 80s means I'm grown up of the 20 teens so instead of waking up at 6AM to go stand in a line for a console I have to wake up at 6 AM to go to work. Thanks Nintendo... Thanks for giving us just enough hope so we look up to the sky while you kicked us in the groin.

Let's hope they come out with another one that has an e-store, or new carts, or something.

GameLifter and Armenius like this.
  29. ZLoth

ZLoth Gawd

Is the Nintendojo the masters of manufacturing artificial scarcity? I wanted one of these, but there were too many "shut up and take my blanking money" fanboys who were paying the inflated prices. I had expected the price to drop after the beginning of the year.

Oh well, it's Nintendojo's game, and I choose not to play or pay.

30. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

The problem with nintendo fans, they keep thinking next time will be different.

I abandoned this shitty company long ago, and have been happier for it.

31. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Jeez don't worry, they will come out with edition 2 this xmas.

32. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

I tried a few times to buy one of these for my kids - it was going to be a stocking-stuffer type present. I quickly found it they were out of stock everywhere. I even went to a GameStop (hadn't been in years). The guy laughed at me since they were sold out so quick. So, fast forward to now. I gave up and my kids didn't get one. I have several Raspberry Pi's and have them running lots of different things - so really no need for the Nintendo product.
    As a company, I can't fathom stopping production of a product people still WANT to buy! People are giving you money. Why would you walk away from this? Makes no sense.

33. Master_shake_

and it'll follow the pattern of shit launch, shit supply, shit shortage, shit scalpers, shit discontinued.

Armenius and Uvaman2 like this.
  34. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Hehe, maybe :)

35. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Defiantly continue producing a failing console for years instead of making obvious changes costing them untold amounts of money in potential revenue.

Take a console that costs them nearly nothing to produce, the games are effectively free to them and stores can't keep in stock and cancel it.

BECAUSE REASONS!

Seriously, there are times I am convinced Nintendo is actively trying to tank their business.

36. Pandur

Pandur Limp Gawd

If this was any other company than Nintendo they'd be bankrupt years ago, due to all these boneheaded business decisions. But luckily the fanboys are happy to indulge and pay the price gougers whatever they ask for Nintendo stuff.

And I'm sure the main reason it's being discontinued is because they totally fumbled the copy protection / OS security again.

Master_shake_ likes this.
  37. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I get that this is cool for none techy people but come on. I would think people on this fourm are smart enough to make something better for cheap. Hell it's all free if you just use your PC. Screw doing it legally if they make it so hard to do so.

Master_shake_ likes this.
  38. Vicinity

Vicinity 2[H]4U

Thank God. They came close to satisfying demand. Can't have that shit.

MOS8580, Armenius and Master_shake_ like this.
  39. Zardoz

Zardoz 2[H]4U

Well what will be the prices on ebay and the like be now?

40. collegeboy69us

collegeboy69us [H]ardness Supreme

Funny -- this was the first product since the Nintendo 64 of theirs that I actually was really excited about and wanted to buy. i'd have picked up one at MSRP when supply caught up with demand, guess that will never happen now and nintendo won't get any of my money that they really really need.

Shit like this is why I'll laugh next time I see an article that says "nintendo not doing well financially" or "nintendo not really relavent anymore", fuck em.