Nintendo Bosses Cut Their Own Pay In Half

Pretty sure the next step is they next get to fall on their own swords.

that or they get paid millions for getting fired for running the company into the ground.
I see this said a lot. That's all well and good, but you rarely see anyone say a CEO deserves m(b)illions if their company thrives.

You should not think of it as 10 million less than 20 million, but half of his pay. And half of anyone's pay is a lot for them.

Its still a fuckton of money that can net anyone a great life. imagine if i cut a single income familys pay from $50,000 a year to $25,000 and a CEO cuts his pay from 50 million to 25 million a year,he is still much better off than the family that is now living in poverty. All the CEO would have to do is buy one less lambo that year.

The same principle can be put to many people making more than 100k a year, or 80k a year. Spend a little less, and help out people.

LOL North American companies would cut their workforce before cutting pay of the top guys. Blackberry? Cisco? Are you taking notes from Nintendo?

Perhaps the worst offenders are public sector head honchos.

OK so I assume all of you know that in Japan an executive only gets salary right? No stock options, bonuses anything else right? And you are all also completely discounting the self preservation selfishness of the act. Maybe the reality is the share holders are about to demand a new CEO and this is a way out to buy time.

So I ask this question is salary listed total compensation in all forms or just salary?

OK so I assume all of you know that in Japan an executive only gets salary right? No stock options, bonuses anything else right? And you are all also completely discounting the self preservation selfishness of the act. Maybe the reality is the share holders are about to demand a new CEO and this is a way out to buy time.

So I ask this question is salary listed total compensation in all forms or just salary?
A quick google showed in 2010 the CEOs salary, ~$2.1 million, was split into a base salary $770k and the rest was performance based "bonuses" depending upon how well the company did. Now considering more than 50% of his salary in 2010 was based upon performance, it could be that he didn't do shit for slashing "half is salary" could have been his salary was simply slashed in half, since he's the CEO of course "he did it", and this could be less of an altruistic act and more of a contractual obligation that he was required to do.

A quick google showed in 2010 the CEOs salary, ~$2.1 million, was split into a base salary $770k and the rest was performance based "bonuses" depending upon how well the company did. Now considering more than 50% of his salary in 2010 was based upon performance, it could be that he didn't do shit for slashing "half is salary" could have been his salary was simply slashed in half, since he's the CEO of course "he did it", and this could be less of an altruistic act and more of a contractual obligation that he was required to do.

Even better i it's a forced thing. Which is odd because I'm usually more of a free market guy. Its just hard to support it with all the insanely greedy people up top.

Nintendo could be the first company to sell 1 billion consoles if they'd freaking make a Pokemon game with the same engine used to develop Skyrim.

It doesn't even have to be online.

Nintendo could be the first company to sell 1 billion consoles if they'd freaking make a Pokemon game with the same engine used to develop Skyrim.

It doesn't even have to be online.

Now THIS makes more sense than anything I've seen in a very long time. Could not agree more :D

That's cool, is it because of their culture or it's some law in Japan?
Also... why Nissan? Toyota is much much bigger, I'm confused. Still, cool info :)

Mostly culture, but it's somewhat fading with time.

Nissan went bankrupt in the late 90s. Today, it's effectively owned by a French company, Renault (they own controlling shares of each other, but French business law makes Nissan's hold in Renault a non-voting share). Their CEO is neither Japanese, nor French, but is a very good businessman that managed to bring two bankrupt auto companies back to life.

Its still a fuckton of money that can net anyone a great life. imagine if i cut a single income familys pay from $50,000 a year to $25,000 and a CEO cuts his pay from 50 million to 25 million a year,he is still much better off than the family that is now living in poverty. All the CEO would have to do is buy one less lambo that year.

It's interesting you actually think his salary was 20 million USD.

Back