Ninja or Big Typhoon?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
I've narrowed my search for a heatsink down to these two different models and was looking for opinions on both of them. I know they are both great coolers but I was wondering if there was any reason to choose one over the other. At this point I'm probably leaning toward the typhoon since it comes with a fan already but I can be persuaded either way -Rob

The Ninja with a quiet 120mm fan would probably outperform the Big Typhoon with less noise...

They're both frickin' huge.

The answer to this question is "IT DEPENDS".

It depends on the case the CPU cooler is going into and how cool air gets to the cooler and how it is exhausted from the case. If you have a case with a side air intake, then the Big Typhoon is a better bet since it can receive cool air directly from the side fan. If your case is a front-to back airflow type of design, then probably the Ninja (with a fan) starts looking better, but the Big Typhoon will still be a strong contender depending on how much air (and how wide your case is) can get to the fan. The Big Typhoon has the advantage of being able to direct air onto the mobo components while the Ninja is CPU only. If you have a case with a top blowhole and a rear exhaust fan at the same level as the Ninja (like the P180), then the Ninja really starts to shine, and can even be used passively in that configuration.

well my case is a antec p150. It will have one 120mm exhaust fan and two 92mm intake fans in the front. It does not have a side vent however. -Rob

c1001 said:
The Big Typhoon has the advantage of being able to direct air onto the mobo components while the Ninja is CPU only.
this is true but only with a stronger fan, since the heatsink is soo high up and the included fan is soo weak, the motherboard and its components dont really get much air ;)

RobDMB said:
well my case is a antec p150. It will have one 120mm exhaust fan and two 92mm intake fans in the front. It does not have a side vent however. -Rob
definitely go for the ninja

Would the typhoon not perform well if i dont have a side vent on my computer case or would it still work good but not as well? Also if i went with the ninja what would be a good fan for it that i could plug directly into my motherboard?

N H O said:
this is true but only with a stronger fan, since the heatsink is soo high up and the included fan is soo weak, the motherboard and its components dont really get much air ;)

They get enough to matter....the mosfet's on my Abit will get up to 80c or so....when I was watercooled on the X2.....with the Typhoon, it never breaks 50c....so yes, it matters.

The RIGHT answer is "it depends" as the other poster noted....both are kick ass, high performance heatsinks....

There is waaaayyyy to much f-n b-y-ism around here sometimes....

TheRapture said:
They get enough to matter....the mosfet's on my Abit will get up to 80c or so....when I was watercooled on the X2.....with the Typhoon, it never breaks 50c....so yes, it matters.

The RIGHT answer is "it depends" as the other poster noted....both are kick ass, high performance heatsinks....

There is waaaayyyy to much f-n b-y-ism around here sometimes....
how was that f-n b-y-ism? since his case doesnt hav a side vent, the fan is basically suffocated of air since its soo close to the side panel and therefore not as much air would reach the motherboard and its components.....maybe with a stronger fan it would make a difference, its juss simply stating facts

Wow i'm really torn between these two. I thought I was set on the typhoon since it included a fan and might put some air on my motherboard, but now i am worried it will be starved for air due to the case design. Guess I'll just have to read some more reviews. -Rob

The BT weighs about 800g, and the fan sucks. The Ninja weighs around 500g, 600g with a Panaflo, and overall it is much better in my opinion. Thermaltake would've had a real winner if they hadn't put such a crappy fan on such a great heatsink.

Bona Fide said:
The BT weighs about 800g, and the fan sucks. The Ninja weighs around 500g, 600g with a Panaflo, and overall it is much better in my opinion. Thermaltake would've had a real winner if they hadn't put such a crappy fan on such a great heatsink.

The fan does NOT suck. It does what it was intended to do, that is, keep a hot ass cpu cool and be practically SILENT. Mission accomplished. Why do you say it sucks?

N H O said:
how was that f-n b-y-ism? since his case doesnt hav a side vent, the fan is basically suffocated of air since its soo close to the side panel and therefore not as much air would reach the motherboard and its components.....maybe with a stronger fan it would make a difference, its juss simply stating facts

I wasn't calling you a FB specifically...sorry if you took it that way. If the case allows say, an inch between the fan and the case side, thats more than enough room. Even my case with the side fan has at least an inch between it and the fan on the Typhoon....

I'll have to pop in a vote for the ninja, just because it gives me INSANELY low temps.

My load is ~6-8C cooler than my previous idle (w/stock cooler) and I haven't broken 33c when @load. Idles somewhere in the mid-twenties.

TheRapture said:
I wasn't calling you a FB specifically...sorry if you took it that way. If the case allows say, an inch between the fan and the case side, thats more than enough room. Even my case with the side fan has at least an inch between it and the fan on the Typhoon....
ah alrights its all good then

N H O said:
RobDMB wants to use the fan that comes with it w/o spending extra, try reading the thread? :rolleyes:

I wasnt talking about him, and no where did he say he didnt want to change the fan, he just said he liked it cause it already had one. i was talking about the post above mine that says it would be a winner but the fan "sucks".

0mega said:
I wasnt talking about him, and no where did he say he didnt want to change the fan, he just said he liked it cause it already had one. i was talking about the post above mine that says it would be a winner but the fan "sucks".
well exactly, if he prefered the BT bc it has a fan then he prolly meant that he would prefer not to spend extra to add to the cost since they both cost $50ish

Exactly, I do not want to have to change fans. I feel if i am already spending 50 bucks I shouldnt have to replace parts of it and spend more. I just want someting that will be solid for my opteron 165 overclock.

RobDMB said:
Exactly, I do not want to have to change fans. I feel if i am already spending 50 bucks I shouldnt have to replace parts of it and spend more. I just want someting that will be solid for my opteron 165 overclock.

The Typhoon will do that with aplomb. Don't listen to people that have not tried it, the stock fan is very efficient and QUIET.....

In my opinion, I would get the Zalman CNPS9500. I believe it to be the best and going by the reviews, It seems to out perform all other heatsinks and even some water cooling systems.

RobDMB said:
Would the typhoon not perform well if i dont have a side vent on my computer case or would it still work good but not as well? Also if i went with the ninja what would be a good fan for it that i could plug directly into my motherboard?

The Typhoon might be starved of air and not perform as well as it could without a side vent. It will still work well, just not nearly as good as it could. You can attach any 120x25mm fan to the Ninja depending on your tolerance for noise. As long as the fan has a 3 pin connector, you can connect it directly to the mobo. Yate Loons, Nexus, Papst are all well regarded.

well by now its all up you, both heatsinks will cost about the same after shipping, the ninja will be a few bucks cheaper with a yate loon at jab-tech while the big typhoon is $55ish at the same site, good luck on you decision

Dutt1113 said:
In my opinion, I would get the Zalman CNPS9500. I believe it to be the best and going by the reviews, It seems to out perform all other heatsinks and even some water cooling systems.
a great cooler that is but its juss a tad bit overpriced

N H O said:
well by now its all up you, both heatsinks will cost about the same after shipping, the ninja will be a few bucks cheaper with a yate loon at jab-tech while the big typhoon is $55ish at the same site, good luck on you decision

think this one has been beaten to death yet?

c1001 said:
think this one has been beaten to death yet?
not even close, the thing is that the ninja is $50ish almost everywhere online and plus a fan and shipping would be close to $65, so now that i hav provided a link of the ninja costing $50 with a fan after shipping, its a much harder decision now since they are soo close in price and that theres no longer to go with one over the other bc of a large price difference

i'm kind of in the same situtation and was wondering about how many CFM's does the ninja need to be effective

Bona Fide said:
the fan sucks.

The fan on the Typhoon is a 120mm Yate Loon rated at 1300rpm, according to multiple sources. Seems to be the exact fan that everyone recommends for the Ninja.

Evidence:

SPCR

Another SPCR

So the fan is good.

I have a Big Typhoon, and am happy with it. But I'm considering returning it in exchange for a Ninja since I have a P180...

Back