Nice program for Streaming MP3's

It only plays music that is playing on the main machine. You can't control what is actually playing (skip, FWD & BWD). More like a radio.

Which is fine but I don't think it'll work for my needs.

Cowcaster88 said:
It only plays music that is playing on the main machine. You can't control what is actually playing (skip, FWD & BWD). More like a radio.

Which is fine but I don't think it'll work for my needs.
Not sure what you mean. You can pick the songs from your MP3 collection that you want it to play.
From the web interface you can choose:
skip, play, pause, stop, shuffle, repeat

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Use a remote desktop to change it.
There is no need to, as I said all of this can be done from the web interface. This does NOT only play music that is playing on the main machine. NO music has to be playing on the main machine. You can pick and chosse what MP3 files you want it to play, skip them, change them whatever.

Puterguru said:
There is no need to, as I said all of this can be done from the web interface. This does NOT only play music that is playing on the main machine. NO music has to be playing on the main machine. You can pick and chosse what MP3 files you want it to play, skip them, change them whatever.

Answers my concerns. Now I'll have to check into working with the OS X version so I can listen to my mp3s at work on a Windows machine.

Puterguru said:

Ahh, the guy 2x above me said that you couldn't do that!

I'll try this program out sometime next week, thanks for the suggestion

What am I doing wrong with the windows version?

I install it, point it to my MP3 directory (well, "e:\" drive) and it just sits there. I started it at work, when I came home, its still just sitting there in the taskbar staring at me going "Slimserver starting"

Netstat -ao doesnt show any listening service for that PID after 2 1/2 hours of "starting"

edit: N/m a co-worked just told me the database they include with the software is tremendously slow. However there is a workaround to use a mySQL database which makes it go really really quick

Holy crap. running this using a mySQL backend DB is a tremendous boost. What took over 2 1/2 hours and I did not let complete, took a few seconds. Up and running with minimal hassles.

Bullitt said:
Holy crap. running this using a mySQL backend DB is a tremendous boost. What took over 2 1/2 hours and I did not let complete, took a few seconds. Up and running with minimal hassles.
Sweet, glad you got it working. How ya like it?

Its simple, its quick . I havent figured out how to get it to stream at a fixed bitrate (to save on bandwidth) yet, but thats probably just a case of RTFM on my part. I'm at work listening to my music from home. What can I say, beats the hell outta the radio.

The mySQL backend is a MUST. I cant see taking several hours where the mySQL solution took several seconds.

My next step is to migrate everything to my fileserver so I dont have to tie up my main rig for this. That will be when I actually get home with some time to play around.

Back