NHTSA Proposed A Rule That Would Require Vehicles To 'Talk' To Each Other

Until someone hacks it (which WILL happen) and causes cars to crash into each other...
Anything light weight would be prone to hacking or even just glitching. You would need constant deep deep authentication which automatically means it has to reach out to some database somewhere. Think something equivalent to a mid-range wi-fi router. not the protocol but type of hardware level.

automotive grade probably run +$500 or more per car. Think of the children [of the investors of the company that will sell the new hardware].

The auto industry will just buy off CONgress for exceptions or do like they did with the vaccine industry. You can't sue the car makers for crappy software, you go to a Fed gov arbitration court/gov agency and they decide if you have a case and will pay you out of a fund.
Did Toyota buy off congress when they got sued up the ass for the accelerator problems?

Ha! They would pull over 85% of drivers in the first week. I see people at half car length following distance while going 80mph every day.

And people wonder why there are so many accidents.

A half a car length (~7.5ft) at 80mph means you'd need a 0.06s reaction time...

There is a reason just about every statea drivers manual in the country calls proper following distance 2 seconds.

It's the easiest traffic violation able to be directly tied to accidents and it is also the most frequent violation and one of the least enforced.

Someone here thinks the cops actually want to work for a living.

In Germany they have gantries over the highway automatically measuring the speed and following distance to the vehicle ahead of every vehicle that passes under them.

If you are following too closely, you get a hefty ticket in the mail.

...and the cops don't actually have to do anything.

And people wonder why there are so many accidents.

A half a car length (~7.5ft) at 80mph means you'd need a 0.06s reaction time...

There is a reason just about every statea drivers manual in the country calls proper following distance 2 seconds.

It's the easiest traffic violation able to be directly tied to accidents and it is also the most frequent violation and one of the least enforced.

In California they decided to force people onto mass transit by not building more roads, but people still insist on buying/driving cars.
Traffic is so bad in most places that if you where to follow the 2 second rule on the freeway, you would end up stopped as multiple cars constantly pull in front of you.

In California they decided to force people onto mass transit by not building more roads, but people still insist on buying/driving cars.
Traffic is so bad in most places that if you where to follow the 2 second rule on the freeway, you would end up stopped as multiple cars constantly pull in front of you.

Well, the beauty of the two second following distance is that the slower you go (like when you are stuck in traffic) the smaller the distance becomes, so the problem you suggest seems unlikely. And either way, it really isn't relevant for slow speeds struck in traffic. It's relevant for regular traveling speeds.

I'm in San Diego, and the problem here is that there is no room for more freeways. It's just that there are far to many people with little to no skill, and they refuse to pay attention. If I had the option of using mass transit, I would in a heartbeat.

I'm in San Diego, and the problem here is that there is no room for more freeways. It's just that there are far to many people with little to no skill, and they refuse to pay attention. If I had the option of using mass transit, I would in a heartbeat.

I've always been a little jealous of my friends who are able to both live and work in the city, and take the T (what Boston calls its subway system) to work.

Working in my industry, every job I get is always somewhere further out from the center where real estate is cheap, meaning that public transit more or less is not an option at all. So instead I sit in rush hour traffic... A lot...

Seoul Korea, 10 million transit the transportation systems into and out of town every work day. Over 8 million on the subway system alone.

Seoul Korea, 10 million transit the transportation systems into and out of town every work day. Over 8 million on the subway system alone.

Yep, I am well aware that it is possible.

While I was born here in the U.S. I grew up in Sweden, The quality of public transit there is above and beyond anything we have here. Even in a suburban town of only about 10,000 people, an hours drive outside of a city of roughly 500,000 (City, urban area ~1,000,000) I could get regular bus service from my block to the local train station, and from there either express buses or trains into the city without a problem.

I did this commute via public transit every day for about a year while in high school, and it was nothing like the underfunded awful transit systems we have in the U.S. which even at their best in major cities along the east coast are kind of bad, and are pretty much non-existent elsewhere with a few exceptions.

Exactly Z, I am not afraid and wouldn't feel put out at all if I went to visit family in Seoul, flew into Incheon Airport, and instead of the family driving out to pick me up, I just rolled my own bags to the subway terminal and got off a few blocks from their home, and they could pick me up there instead. But they would never allow it, not proper.

When I'm approaching an intersection just hit the force all cars going perpendicular to me to hit the brakes to cause X gap and drive right on through. I have a smug look on my face when a 1974 Kenworth Dumptruck that is still on the road...drives through me.

Back