NHL 12

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
Demo Date: August 23, 2011
Release Date: September 13, 2011
[H]ard EASHL Xbox team: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1636450

Anyone else excited for NHL 12, and if so what system are you getting it for? I didn't play much of 11 but I plan to play a lot of EASHL/OTP in 12 this year. Found a blog post with some of the online changes:

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1312/nhl-12-producer-blog-online-innovations/

I like the fact that they will let you create multiple player pre-sets so you don't get stuck using a scoring forward build on defense or vice versa. All the other EASHL changes seem pretty minor, although the multiple levels per player card will help with some of the grind to get to a Legend Card.

Last edited:
Will be the first NHL game I pass on in years. Its basically NHL11 with a few cosmetic features, a higher price tag and a 12 instead of an 11.

Well to be fair, it looks like the jump from 11-12 is greater than 09-10, but not the same as last year with the addition of the new game mode. I can understand taking a break for a year or more, but EASHL/OTP is still the most addicting online mode I have come across in a console game.

I played the demo, expecting to be bored because I really haven't enjoyed a hockey video game since nhl 94-98 on the sega genesis and I was pleasantly blown away. The demo is fantastic and I cannot wait for the retail game. I'm passing on Madden and NCAA this year (pun intended) and pucking up with NHL12!

The demo is what I expected, an incremental update but I will be getting it. Can't wait to see how EASHL plays as it gets a different set of modifiers and the demo doesn't really give you an idea how it will play.

If you buy any EA sports games on a yearly basis, expect to get screwed....as they can only do so much with a year development time.

I want "REAL" physics and zero visual clipping, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. And of course there will always be the diehard NHL complainers...but at the end of the day its only a game..........a freaking fun game!

Two more days and it will be mine...oh yes, it will be mine!

I'll be picking it up fairly early tomorrow and playing Online Team Play for most of the day to try and get my stats up.

I spend more time on the yearly NHL games than pretty much any other game combined. I like that they've been able to improve the game quite a bit without messing too much with the game formula. The new animations look amazing, from fatigued players putting their heads down as they try to hustle to the revamped shooting. The loose and lively puck also makes for some nail-biting action.

Beyond that, it does feel quite a little bit like NHL 11... but that's a good thing, since NHL 11 played quite nicely. I don't understand why fans expect developers to reinvent the wheel every year with their sports games.

I'm still waiting for Madden and NHL to come back to the PC. Now that EA has Origin I don't see what the problem is...its not piracy killing the PC gaming market, it's shitty ports that are, quit giving the PC gamers PS2 ports and wondering why the sales figures suck durrrr..

Look at the Tiger Woods Master 2012 mess. EA basically stuck the free web game on a disk and charged $40 for it.... then expect PC gamers to pay for courses, caddies, etc. Its not the same game the 360 got.

You can't expect to charge money for that and not have people bitching at you... apparently they are now offereing refunds after Reddit and a few big review websites tore into them.

Yes, I'd love to play NHL 2012... on my PC.

Anyone up for making a [H] team on xbox?

You can add me to your friends list my XBL tag is BGASTORIES and my PSN tag is ATM1969 (Yes I bought both versions)

And I am very happy with the game...yes its not perfect, but damn its gotta be one of the funnest games out...love the non-stop action and drama and I'm not even a "real" hockey fan....GAWD how did I ever play Madden, NHL 12 KILLS MADDEN!

Between BF3, NHL12, and Skrim...My free time is going to be sooooo [H]ucked!

Last edited:
my XBL tag is ComputerJoe (how I got a non cryptic name I don't know) - I'll see how interested people are in having a [H]ardTeam by the amount of invites I get.

Does anyone know if the BAP mode has the same options as NHL 11 (ie: 5 minute periods and no line changes) or is full 20 minute periods + simming your shift now the only choice?

I so wish this group of devs handled EA's other sports games, particularly the football games which have mostly gone to pot IMO.

Does anyone know if the BAP mode has the same options as NHL 11 (ie: 5 minute periods and no line changes) or is full 20 minute periods + simming your shift now the only choice?

They killed the no line changes option, and you can't sim to the last 5 minutes (but can still sim to the last period). They also made it so you can't play BAP on easy.

This kinda sucks because the easiest way to get boosts was to play on easy with the sliders adjusted and then sim to the last 5 minutes of each game. I will probably skip getting the boosts through offline mode this year and just earn them online. The only one that might be tough are the +3 and +5 speed boosts as they require +50 and +100 +/- rating in EASHL/OTP.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks. That's too bad. I was just looking at it from a playability standpoint (I never play it online).

The pause to simulate to the next shift detracts from the game. It's too bad, they really should have left that option in there. More options are always good.

I just bought it at lunch, so looks like I'll have to get used to it =D

The Xbox HardOCP team is created:

HardOCP Overclockers

send a request to join and I'll add you in

Not a bad start for the team last night, I had fun. Hopefully we can get a few more people to join. I really like having a pro build for each position online, it's nice having a two way forward center, playmaker wingers and a bruising defenseman ready without leaving the lobby.

Yeah, thanks. That's too bad. I was just looking at it from a playability standpoint (I never play it online).

The pause to simulate to the next shift detracts from the game. It's too bad, they really should have left that option in there. More options are always good.

I just bought it at lunch, so looks like I'll have to get used to it =D

I was messing with some settings last night while unlocking boosts, and if you set Be A Pro to 'classic' and turn fatigue off you will play the majority of the shifts. It's not quite the same as no line changes, but since you are rarely tired you won't sub often and if you do you can press B to get back in right away.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.

Also, wanted to say: Brought to you by Verizon Wireless! Really, I thought it was brought to me by the 60 bucks I paid :p

Last edited:
The Verizon and Honda ads are annoying, along with the constant mention of NHL Network and NHL.com by the announcers. I've already started turning off the game sound and just listening to music so that won't bother me anymore. :D

Sounds like the game is going the way of the Madden. They even made it a huge deal on who is going to be the cover athlete (from what I saw at the NHL awards). And can they please change the announcers please? The current ones aren't even NHL announcers anymore. Miss the ones from the last PC version (NHL 08?) who also did Hockey Night in Canada.

I finished unlocking most of the boosts I needed this weekend. For those interested here is a fairly quick method:

-Start Be A Pro, create a pro mode and start at the NHL Draft
-Make a Sniper
-Set it to Classic mode so you can control your line changes.
-Set Difficulty to Pro
-Periods to 20 minutes (may work for shorter but it's not really necessary)
-Go to gameplay settings and set all sliders to full for human and low for CPU.

With the adjusted sliders, you can play the first few minutes in a game, score the points you need and then exit. It will sim the rest of the game and will count towards your 40 games played requirement that a lot of boosts need.

Make sure to score at least 3 goals in the first 4 games played in the NHL to unlock one of the boosts, after that just average 1 goal and 2 points per game and get a total of at least 70 points on the season. Once you have 40 games counted to you card, sim to the playoffs and win the cup. You may need to play a few games here and there to prevent getting sent to the AHL.

Same method can be used for the second season if you want to get the boost packs and one of the glove slots.

been playing through on Be a GM mode, fantasy draft.

made it through first season, just squeeking into the playoffs. I must say, i enjoy the stat regulation in this, as it seems they made it more difficult for the AI to score in sims.

sim mode seems...more realisitic, at least to me. That being said, i didn't really play NHL 11 be a gm,.

Back