NHL 09 demo out on Xbox Live

Allos

Limp Gawd
Just downloaded and played a few games. Game speed seems slower. Defense seems tighter. Harder to score. Be a pro seems like a lot of fun.

Tried it out on my PS3 and I must say, its definitely something I'm waiting for. Haven't played a NHL game since 2000ish. Imo, blows NHL2k9 out of the water (judging by the demos).

Damn, I thought last year was already pretty tough to score in already.

Edit: Gave the demo a shot, and it is very difficult to score... even more so than last year. Gameplay seems the same or faster to me, and the hitting is improved. I just hate how their goalie seems to stand on his head yet one open shot and the computer scores every time.

Cool. I had downloaded and tried out 2K9, but wasn't all that impressed with the demo. It was okay, so hopefully EA did a better job with their hockey game.

I spoke too soon, after about 4 periods I think I found the scoring touch. Ended up winning 4-2.

First time I tried "Be A Pro" the first few minutes I felt like running around like a headless chicken chasing the puck. Man, now I appreciate much more about how much skating the pros need to do EACH SHIFT.

Defense seems to be more organized. Now it is harder to pass the puck around. NHL 08 the defense men would just stand there and let me pass-pass-one timer-score. Yet to find the rhythm in NHL 09.

All in all, not a dramatic improvement like from NHL 06 PC to NHL 07 Xbox360 or NHL 07 to NHL 08 but still nice upgrade. Just hope that EA would continue to patch the game after it is released after all the bugs and loopholes are found and abused....

This is definitely a sniper's game. It's much harder to deke past defencemen, and one-timer's are almost impossible now thanks to better defensive coverage/controls (stick lifts are awesome) and the decreased accuracy of shots.

My game always involved passing around to create holes, sniping one timers, or flubbing the goalie on a deke. It'll take me a while to adjust to the changes in this game. Pro difficulty is pretty easy, but All-Star is hard.

The funny thing about Be a Pro is that I'm far better at C with Crosby than at LW with Zetterberg. I've pretty much been a left-winger since I started playing hockey.

All in all, this game looks amazing. I don't know how much I'll be into the Dynasty and Be a Pro modes with the addition of 6 on 6 MMO-style online play.

Demo sold the game for me. I'll have to trade in 08 before the value tanks though.

This game is outstanding. Can't wait to get it! gotta start a team online for Ps3

Back