NFSU2 Lighting Problem

NOTD665

Gawd
Anyone else getting strange lighting in NFSU2? The most noticeable issue is headlights or streetlights through solid materials, like buildings and roads.

Here's a pic for what I mean

9800XT, latest Cat's.

Any ideas?

lol wtf. It's like having clipping problems with the street lights. Try some older drivers. I don't know. Hmm... not sure. Can you turn down lighting details in the game?

what happens if you turn light glows and light trails off?

I don't have the full version game, not out here yet, but in the demo it runs fine for me on a 9800Pro with Cat 4.10 all in-game settings maxed out.

not sure what I'm doing wrong but the game looks like doodoo on my box. Road surface looks so ugly - I thought the game as lame until I looked at your pic

EDIT - Helps if I turn up the D3D slider (in ATI control panel) from the far left to the far right. Looks much better :)

Maybe you had a cheat installed? =\

Usually clipping/visibility issues occur when cheats are installed. Not accusing, just a possibility.

I tweaked some settings in the Cat control center, and in the in-game vide options, and things seem much better.

So thanks to Brent and Seanmcd. :p

I wonder if these problem crops up on nVidia cards?

i have the 6800 breed vidcard and it seems to run fine with latest 66.93(?)'s ..but then again I could see myself missing something like that ..

darn ...now I gotta play it some more to make sure :)

seanmcd said:
EDIT - Helps if I turn up the D3D slider (in ATI control panel) from the far left to the far right. Looks much better :)

Well yea...

far left = high performance (thus.. shit graphics)
far right = high quality (lower performance)

Just stick in the middle at balanced, get the best of both worlds.

I had the same problem with the first Splinter Cell game and my 9700Pro - light sources shone straight through solid surfaces!!

TheGamerZ said:
Well yea...

far left = high performance (thus.. shit graphics)
far right = high quality (lower performance)

Just stick in the middle at balanced, get the best of both worlds.

yes - i had it far left to see what the max 3dmark score I was getting (just switched to a socket 939 setup) and had forgotten it was set that way. I usually have it far right unless the game slows down too much, then i keep it center. Surprisingly, this game runs quite well at 1600*1200. What I really want to know is, why is NOTD665 driving a Miata? Take that back to the garage and get the Z car or the Evo :)

coz said:
I had the same problem with the first Splinter Cell game and my 9700Pro - light sources shone straight through solid surfaces!!

that is a problem in SC, it doesn't support MSAA, so you can't turn on AA with it

NOTD665 said:
I tweaked some settings in the Cat control center, and in the in-game vide options, and things seem much better.

So thanks to Brent and Seanmcd. :p

I wonder if these problem crops up on nVidia cards?

what settings did you tweak?

i haven't experienced that problem on ATI or NVIDIA video cards

Pretty much anything that pertained to light. Trails and glow, I suppose.

Lighting in general and graphics overall still look slick.

Back