nforce 680i SLi & Intel Q9550

Sloos

n00b
I have an EVGA nForce 680i SLi Motherboard that supports Core2Duo, Core2Quad & Core2Extreme. I was running a Conroe E6400 (2.13GHz) Processor (Core2Duo) in it with 2GB RAM (PQI) for the past few years and the system was ROCK solid. I did a fresh install of Win7 (64-bit) from XP Pro a few weeks ago and all was fine.

Well I was at Microcenter a few weeks ago and they were blowing out their Core2Quads for $179 so I picked up a Q9550 along with a 4GB Memory Kit. (OCZ 2GBx2). I come home, install the memory and processor expecting it to be smooth sailing. Well immediately is stars blue screening like nobody's business. I reset the BIOS and the BSODs became much less frequent but still happening. After a day of updating all the drivers and unplugging things I decided to go back to Microcenter and swap out the chip for a new one. Did that and came home and put it in. BSOD still. So I decided to get a new video card. I got the GeForce 9800. Still BSOD.

Well I was on EVGAs site today digging around and I see NOW that the 6 serier mobo don't support the YORKFIELD Quad Core only the Kentsfield? Link here: http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

So my questions are these:

1) I'm quite sure these BSOD are now because of the Processor vs Motherboard combo I have. Correct?

2) Is there a bios flash I can do to get my board (680i SLi) to run this processor?

If there's not I'm just going to track down an EVGA Nforce 750i and migrate all of my stuff over to that board so I can use this processor.

Thanks In Advance!

I'd see if there's a bios update available. IIRC, they did make one for the 45nm quads, but they didn't OC at all on that board. The 780i was really more for the 45nm CPU's.

But the 750i SLI board seems to be the best one for OCing out of all of them.

I'd see if there's a bios update available. IIRC, they did make one for the 45nm quads, but they didn't OC at all on that board. The 780i was really more for the 45nm CPU's.

But the 750i SLI board seems to be the best one for OCing out of all of them.

Thanks

I'm going to try the latest BIOS flash tonight when I get home. I was just curious if there was a 'Specific' one I should look for. I'll grab the latest from the evga site and give it a go.

So the 750i SLI is a good board? That's the one I'm going to go with if this bios jazz doesn't work out for me tonight.

Thanks

I'm going to try the latest BIOS flash tonight when I get home. I was just curious if there was a 'Specific' one I should look for. I'll grab the latest from the evga site and give it a go.

Yeah, I'd grab the latest. See if it says anything in the notes about CPU support. That's the most important thing you're looking for.

Here's the problem:
Yorkfield Core 2 Quad processors are not supported on the 6 series motherboards.

Here's the problem:
Yorkfield Core 2 Quad processors are not supported on the 6 series motherboards.

Yep...

I stated that and linked to the page in the first post ;)

I just wasn't sure if there was some way to flash the bios or if they just straight up won't work stably w/ the 6 series of boards.

Not sure...I guess I was thinking about the 45nm duals which do work with the 680i.

Not sure...I guess I was thinking about the 45nm duals which do work with the 680i.

So at this point I should just go ahead and order that EVGA nforce 750i SLI? I just want it to work. I'm tired of battling with it. If that will solve the issues I'll order it up and move forward from this doom that is my computer the last while

Back