NForce 4 Chipset

brasscorpion

Weaksauce
Can anyone tell me if this chipset is any good?

In particular this MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135028

Here is why I am asking. Right now FRY's is having a COMBO deal. They are offering this MoBo with an AMD 64 X2 5000+ chip. Out the door it is 269.95 for both. Newegg is selling the "chip only" for 279.00.

So the whole Fry's deal is 10.00 less than what Newegg is selling the chip for.

Right now I am running an old KK266 board with a socket A 1700+ xp. So I have to upgrade. I was thinking of getting this setup...and then plug in a hot 8800GT. I only need 1 PCI Express slot because to be truthful I doubt I will ever SLI a pair of cards so I don't need the additional 16X slot.

If I need too I can always upgrade to a new ASUS Crossfire board (or whatever is new at the time) in about a year...since in a years time (1 1/2 maybe) I plan on upgrading to VISTA

I am also worried because I have heard and read that some games have issue running on dual core chips...so I am not really sold on dual core right now. I don't want the headache of having to tweak a game each time I want to load one up and play.

Any suggestion and advice would be tremendously helpful.

Brass

Coming from a 1700+, that should be a killer setup. It's not the greatest board in the world, but as you mentioned, the price is right. It's not for OCing, but it should run fine at stock speeds.

Yes, some games have dual core issues, but most of the newer games run fine. I think you'll be ok. There's a sticky in the AMD processors section. That should address 98% of the issues you'd face anyway.

Back