nForce 2 Ultra 400 w/MCP-RAID southbridge

Mahamoti

Weaksauce
Anyone know of a MB with the MCP-RAID southbridge *AND* decent overclocking? It's a shame this has to be specified... thanks Abit for this garbage NF7-S2.

im looking for the same thing .... i just want the nf2 ultra 400 WITH the native SATA. how hard is it to find!>?!?!? and what happened with that abit?

I haven't found a board with those features yet. Consensus is the asus ultra 400 board and the dfi infinity are the best for o/c... neither has the native SATA-RAID southbridge.

The Abit NF7-S2 (and S2G) are seriously crippled... 2-phase (as opposed to 3-phase) power, no CAS 2.0 setting for RAM timings, and (get this) no multiplier settings.

see now thats what i have been hearing.

ok then fine, if its gonna be like that maybe i shall live with using my trusty floppy and F6 on windows installation.

ok so let me ask you, i give up native serial ata since the only ones with it are crippled... what about full integration of the nv system utility?

let me know what you know homie.

I didn't get as far as installing Windows on the NF7-S2... once I saw the BIOS, I boxed it up and put it on eBay. So I never got to see the system utilities in action.

I ordered a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity to replace it, which is the older chipset, so I'm assuming the sysutils will work similarly to the original NF7-S and boards like it.

Really wanted to wait, but I'm skeptical about the "right" board being released for the Athlon XP... seems even the budget sector is getting Semprons and K8 architecture. Besides, Doom 3 is out, Quakecon is a week away, and I have no PC to bring! Had to compromise.

yea ok, i dont think i can afford the lanparty - how much was it?
i had some other links to post up, some reading i did on nforcershq n stuff...

technically any step up to a ULTRA 400 chipset is good for me since i had the original asus deluxe board... but i want a STRONG bios and workin pci/agp locks... let me kno

oh my other thread... http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=788575

The LanParty board is around $140, but I got the Infinity... basically the same board w/o the UV parts and the front panel outputs, for $90 from Newegg.

I've heard the AN7 is a decent board, but after the NF7-S2, Abit doesn't get my vote.
I've had trouble with an Epox 8rda board and had to RMA it once already.
MSI I haven't fooled with.
The DFI board with one SATA port might work... I think the SATA controller is the only difference between that board and the Infinity, so I'll let you know how my setup looks once I get it together.

I think the Asus and DFI boards would be best picks out of that group.

you can still buy the original NF7-S V2, not the S2. More expensive, but that's what I just bought.

Mahamoti said:
I ordered a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity to replace it, which is the older chipset, so I'm assuming the sysutils will work similarly to the original NF7-S and boards like it.

The BIOS options on this board are second to none. You can change anything. Even under-lying RAM timings; like "Act to Act delay" for example. It's the ultimate tweaking and overclocking BIOS.

Be sure to flash to the latest 6/19 BIOS. But obviously, test your board default out of the box first, for stability.

Thanks for the reassurances, Dojo. I get the board in today; can't wait to get home and get it set up.

Mahamoti said:
Thanks for the reassurances, Dojo. I get the board in today; can't wait to get home and get it set up.

Yea, just be warned. These boards are very picky about their BIOS's. But the factory one should be fine and the 6/19 should be also, it went official and it seems everyone is having a fine time with it. You may want to try others though... mileage varies on oc's depending on what BIOS you use. For awhile the 1/21 was the best for most people, but again, i'd just suggest useing the 6/19 after establishing out-of-the-box stability.

i really really wish i didnt have to spend close to the beji.

is there any way to spend more in that 60-75 area? i am so tight right now with house stuffs during this summer of improvements.

and dare i say: would there be another website i could use. i have rarely bought from places other than newegg after research like allstarshop, axion, and a couple others..

anyone know anything off the top?

Well, got the nf2 infinity up and running. Right now running fsb 233 w/11x cpu multi... should be able to crank that up a notch or two more though.

Flashed to the 6/19 bios as you suggested. Everything works fine, except for warm reboots sometimes locking the machine. I've seen mention of a way around this, but no exact details. Ah well, no time to mess with it... gotta get games installed in time for Quakecon!

i ordered the an7 after speaking with a few abit reps on the phone this morning as to differences etc etc.

we'll see how thigns go over the weekend

Back