HELP! nForce2 mobo questions / issues. what to buy? overvolted? :(

el rolio

2[H]4U
ok guys, i have one of the original asus a7n8x deluxe mobos. so its like rev 1.04 or whaddeva. essentially that makes it the oldest component of my system.

as time passed and i worked on the computer (specs: Axp2500+, 512 ocz dual chan, 160gb sata, geforce fx 5900xt, dvd rom and cdrw) and from way back in the day i was using the max fsb of 175x12.5 multi. so a lovely 2.1~~ ghz. got the sata drive in dec....

and basically i really think the mobo is being silly.
i truly believe it is highly overvolting, especially on the vcore. i tried to lock it at 1.65 sicne i got my best Oc at that voltage... dont work. right now i leave the fsb at 166 and either use a 11.5, 12, or 12.5. even got a new uber HSF set up but the temps are worse, and randomly. got AC in the room with the comp. basically i may be going off on tangents.

here is the situation. this comp is a good comp. i never wanted super high OC's, just my proc over 2 ghz, and stable ops. PLUS im selling it to a friend who is gonna use it in college so i want a month or 2 of stable operation so that he doesnt have to tweak or tinker, just have a fast comp for cheap so i can make my s939 jump.

i think i might need a cheap new mobo. what to get? i figure if i get the chance to change i need the NEW nforce 2 chipset with NATIVE serial ATA and as far as i know that is either the nf2 ultra 400r or the ultra 400gb. i dont need to pay the premium for hte GB edition since this isnt a forward looking machine, but having to load the silicon chip drivers whenever a windows install is happening is downright annoying.

where can i find these mobos? nforce 2 ultra 400 with native serial ata. i think that comes hand in hand with the nvraid feature though no more hdd's will be going in.

oh and one more thing... the cpu will go under 100% usage every now and then. this is something i thought was up with my previous install or hdd or what not. but now that this is a brand spanking new hdd as of tuesday with a new windows. i shouldnt be lookin at the desktop and seeing the lil sand time icon spin. 100% load when im supposed to be idling? is that then the northbridge acting up? gah new mobo!

I've been trying to find a Nforce2 mobo with ultra 400r or the ultra 400gb that was worthwhile and have seen zilch. The abit offerings are worthless.

You might be out of luck on this quest since focus will probably be put on newer chipsets. if i see anything though i'll be sure to post it here.

thanks. yea i been posting a bunch in another thread about nf2 boards... me and the otehr guy both decided to give up on the gb and r boards sicne they DO perform worse than the regular ultra 400.

so i guess i shall be giving up my native serial ata. but hat i DO want then since any change should be an upgrade...and hopefully at a cheap price cuz it IS nf2...

soundstorm - had it before on the deluxe, will not give that up.
compatibility with nv sys utility - dont have it now and would be nice to be bale ot use it... if even just for kicks.
improved options in BIOS - like smaller jumps on vcore and also do NOT want the split multiplier choices like 5.5x/16x or whaddeva.
possibility to have multiple bioses since i DO use a dual boot, one for day to day one for performance... so yea some kind of way to go harder when i play games...

thats real about it i think.

see, perfect example of what im talkin about. now the temps are back to 38 idle.... when last week they were showin high volts and up to 49 idle? so yea ither this thing isnt reporting correctly or it overvolts.

bah no matter now i suppose, the abit an7 is on its way.

Back