Nexus-Five thread

Any official reviews of the battery yet? I'm ready for a laugh.
Nobody has their phone yet.
It'll take a couple days to run battery tests.
So pipe down and be a little more realistic.

Battery life is stupidly dependent on your local signal strength and usage pattern, anyway.

LTE will not work on my carrier (everything else should be just fine though) Arghhhh.

As much as I want to love this phone, no expandable storage (SD) or removable battery is a deal-breaker.

I still have a GS2 in perfect condition. Only had to replace the battery last year as the first wore out after 2 years of use.

I'm guessing "Digital Sound Processor."
Typically means Digital Signal Processing when used by EE's.

I guess the N5 has an ultra low power discrete processor that handles all of the audio rather than having the CPU do it. I wonder if there's any difference on the silicon level between phones that come with DSP like the HTC One does with Beats. Even my Droid Maxx came with a DSP adjuster but not sure if that's just a software gimmick or actually controls a separate processor.

So I installed the APKs from the N5 system dump. Most things are minor for Keep, GMail, etc.

I love the new Google Home Launcher though. The OK Google search integration and the integration with Google Now are superb. It's very fast too. Nice and responsive. Not a whole lot of bells and whistles but I'm not really looking for stuff like that anymore. I want fast, efficient, and very useful which this definitely is.

It might be enough to get me away from Aviate. As nice as Aviate is my daily routine just doesn't make use of the true power of Aviate. Better integration with Google Now will probably serve me better than telling me that I'm at work and Perfect Pita is nearby me.

So I installed the APKs from the N5 system dump. Most things are minor for Keep, GMail, etc.

I love the new Google Home Launcher though. The OK Google search integration and the integration with Google Now are superb. It's very fast too. Nice and responsive. Not a whole lot of bells and whistles but I'm not really looking for stuff like that anymore. I want fast, efficient, and very useful which this definitely is.

It might be enough to get me away from Aviate. As nice as Aviate is my daily routine just doesn't make use of the true power of Aviate. Better integration with Google Now will probably serve me better than telling me that I'm at work and Perfect Pita is nearby me.

Does the camera app show much in the way of difference? Any specific order in installing the required .apk's for the Launcher? Lastly, will this interfere with the OTA update to 4.4 in the coming weeks for our Nexus 4 phones?

Thank you, now could you tell us please what an EE is?
Thanks

I think I got this one; Electrical Engineer. ;)

Also, from what I read by searching "Nexus 5 DSP", the DSP is actually part of the Snapdragon 800 SoC, so I guess any phone running that SoC with 4.4 should be able to utilize that functionality. Other SoCs may have that DSP feature too, such as the Snapdragon 600, but I didn't read anything about that.

Does the camera app show much in the way of difference? Any specific order in installing the required .apk's for the Launcher? Lastly, will this interfere with the OTA update to 4.4 in the coming weeks for our Nexus 4 phones?

Haven't played with the new Camera app much doesn't seem like that big of an improvement to me. It is adequate for my needs though.

The new Google Play Services should go first. I did the actual launcher last. I don't know if it will effect the OTA or not. I'm using an SGS3 with CM10.2 so I haven't a clue. I would assume it *could* interfere but that doesn't mean it will.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's DSP?

Anyway just saw this on Google Play Store and wow I want to buy a Nexus 5 now.

It's a low power processor typically used for specific tasks (this is really simplifying it) Another example is the voice command processor in the Moto X. In the nexus 5 case, using a DSP instead of the main processor for audio decoding doubles the playback time of the phone.

When do the price reductions come for the Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC One GPE phones ? There is no way in hell that Google can still ask $650 for those two phones, now that the Nexus 5 is out for $399, which is way better spec'd.

The S4 and One GPE phones are faster than the old Nexus 4, but not a Nexus 5 at all, so they should be selling for like $300 now, based on the Nexus 4 selling at the end for $200, and the Nexus 5 at $400, those GPE phones should be right in the middle.

well crap. I can't cancel my N5 order. My computer took a crap last night. Not sure if its the PSU or something else. Just ordered a PSU last night and I'm hoping its not the Mobo. If I decline reciept of the phone will google still charge the 15% restocking fee? If they do then I guess Ill get it and then sell it

It'll be interesting to see how the pricing for the GPE S4 and HTC One will play out since these are still the "flagship" phones on network carriers.

I'm not convinced the price drops will come if it means the unlocked devices will cost cheaper than their locked counterpart on contract.

When do the price reductions come for the Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC One GPE phones ? There is no way in hell that Google can still ask $650 for those two phones, now that the Nexus 5 is out for $399, which is way better spec'd.

The S4 and One GPE phones are faster than the old Nexus 4, but not a Nexus 5 at all, so they should be selling for like $300 now, based on the Nexus 4 selling at the end for $200, and the Nexus 5 at $400, those GPE phones should be right in the middle.

The price of the GPE phones are likely tied into their non GPE counterpats. When the HTC One and Galaxy S4 have their non-contract MSRPs drop than the GPE's likely will follow. GPE's are not fully Google products.

Also there is more to a phone than SoC performance. Both the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are better than the Nexus 5 in several areas for instance. You cannot price simply by SoC performance.

well crap. I can't cancel my N5 order. My computer took a crap last night. Not sure if its the PSU or something else. Just ordered a PSU last night and I'm hoping its not the Mobo. If I decline reciept of the phone will google still charge the 15% restocking fee? If they do then I guess Ill get it and then sell it

You should probably ask support. Return to sender as far as I know was never the official way to handle returns/cancellations. It was however offered, at least with the Nexus 4's, as an option to do so if you asked support.

There will be no price drops for those devices. They are flagships for carriers and are not Nexus devices. I see them simply disappearing when new models are released or at that time you may possibly see a price drop.

I saw that before. It's a decent alternative, but I definitely wouldn't want to leave that sticking out of my phone all the time. Esp. since I leave my phone on charge most of the day at work, so I'd have to keep up with it while I'm charging the phone. Now if it had a USB pass-through so you could charge the phone while it's plugged in too, that would be make it much better.

My company phone is AT&T iPhone 4S. Can i just put that sim into the Nexus 5 and expect it to work? Might have to get a new sim for Lte to work??

My friend who ordered the phone 5min after me had hers ship yesterday. Mine is still pending :(

My company phone is AT&T iPhone 4S. Can i just put that sim into the Nexus 5 and expect it to work? Might have to get a new sim for Lte to work??

Without researching this, yes, as long as the SIM is in the same format.

There are Micro and regular SIM cards.

You can go to any ATT Store and get a replacement SIM for something like $5 and they copy all your data over also. May not be necessary but just as an FYI.

Mine just shipped. Can't wait to get back to a Nexus device. I've enjoyed my Note II, but I hate the fact that I have to mod it and use custom roms to get rid of all the Samsung and carrier related crap. I just want it to work. Think I've grown out of my "crack flashing" phase, lol. Hell, I just bought an Ipad Air if that tells you anything.

Mine just shipped as well. Brother just started school and is a little strapped for cash at the moment so I'm going to send him my Nexus 4 when the 5 comes in.

I just got shipping confirmation so it should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I'm selling mine in the fs/ft forum. I'm not price gouging though. My computer took a dump on me so I'm having to spend money fixing that instead :-( which is a bummer because reviews are coming in and it sounds like battery life and camera are pretty decent improvements over nexus 4

I just got shipping confirmation so it should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I'm selling mine in the fs/ft forum. I'm not price gouging though. My computer took a dump on me so I'm having to spend money fixing that instead :-( which is a bummer because reviews are coming in and it sounds like battery life and camera are pretty decent improvements over nexus 4

If you message their support and ask about cancellation they might give you the option to refuse delivery at no charge. They should have chat or email/message, no need to wait on the phone.

I've already seen other people mention they still offer this.

I have decided to order the black Nexus 5 16GB model from Google Play Store.

ETA: 1-2 weeks.

So excited!

Back