Nexus-Five thread

I never receive the 4.4.1 notice but just received the 4.4.2 notice. Updated in a few mins and camera does seem to be much faster.

Mine skipped 4.4.1 and went straight to 4.4.2 today. SE Michigan if they are releasing by geographic location.

Right when I was about to sideload it yesterday, my update to 4.4.2 came in OTA. So happiness!

Right when I was about to sideload it yesterday, my update to 4.4.2 came in OTA. So happiness!

haha yeah I just got the update yesterday. Not exactly an earth-shattering update, but the quicker autofocus is nice. Also, is it me, or did the haptic feedback get stronger after the update?

haha yeah I just got the update yesterday. Not exactly an earth-shattering update, but the quicker autofocus is nice. Also, is it me, or did the haptic feedback get stronger after the update?

Yeah I noticed this too.

The autofocus is very quick now. This camera update is awesome!

I went and sold my Nexus 5 and picked up the Note 3 again. I so wanted to love the N5. I tried so hard. I want to be able to game on my phone and not worry about my battery not making it through the day. I go through a lot of phones in search of the one that can work with me. I hope I found it finally.

I went and sold my Nexus 5 and picked up the Note 3 again. I so wanted to love the N5. I tried so hard. I want to be able to game on my phone and not worry about my battery not making it through the day. I go through a lot of phones in search of the one that can work with me. I hope I found it finally.

This should definitely help out. ;)

The beauty of removable batteries! I was tempted to get the 9300 mAh battery for my Note 2, but honestly the stock 3100 mAh battery has almost always been good enough for me.

Not that I am in a rush......but man I cannot decide.....

I now think I want an Android......Google Hang-out's is native to Droid phones yeah?
And google services most likely work better than WP and IOS yah?

I want a Lumia 1520.....but I am starting to maybe want proper integration and not 3rd party apps for what I use.

Any phones roughly in the price of the Nexus 5 that is comparable?

Don't want a Moto X unless they have wood backing option :p

Played with my Brother's Nexus 5 again over the weekend, and not to be rude, but there is no way I would trade in my Galaxy S4 that is customized,for a Nexus 5.

My S4 is rooted, running Wanam Xposed, plus Nova launcher with Kit Kat theme, and this phone is screaming fast, with amazing battery life; 5.5h On Screen time every day. And the screen is gorgeous.

When I use the Nexus 5, first things I think of; the screen looks washed out and yellow tint or something, where my S4 looks night and day way higher quality and premium. And the feel of the phone, the Nexus 5 haptic feedback seems cheap or rattles, where my S4 feels solid, and buzzes tightly.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. The Nexus 5 is a cheap phone, it's nice for the price. But the crap battery life, and washed out screen, is a deal breaker for me.

Played with my Brother's Nexus 5 again over the weekend, and not to be rude, but there is no way I would trade in my Galaxy S4 that is customized,for a Nexus 5.

My S4 is rooted, running Wanam Xposed, plus Nova launcher with Kit Kat theme, and this phone is screaming fast, with amazing battery life; 5.5h On Screen time every day. And the screen is gorgeous.

When I use the Nexus 5, first things I think of; the screen looks washed out and yellow tint or something, where my S4 looks night and day way higher quality and premium. And the feel of the phone, the Nexus 5 haptic feedback seems cheap or rattles, where my S4 feels solid, and buzzes tightly.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. The Nexus 5 is a cheap phone, it's nice for the price. But the crap battery life, and washed out screen, is a deal breaker for me.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/7/5078286/nexus-5-new-king-of-color-accuracy

Trolling much?

The most color accurate screen is washed out?

I am definitely not a troll. I love the Nexus line, having owned all four Nexus phones myself, and a huge fan.

But seeing the Nexus 5 side by side to my S4, IMO the S4 looks, and feels like the better phone to me.

My old Nexus 4, had that same issue as my brother's Nexus 5, when tilting the phone the display looks washed out,and with a yellow blurring tint or shade to it, or like Vaseline is covering the screen, making it very hard to see when viewing from an angle. Where my S4, you can tilt up and down, back and forth, and the screen looks exactly the same from all angles, still very sharp and colorful and detailed from any angle.

Last edited:
I am definitely not a troll. I love the Nexus line, having owned all four Nexus phones myself, and a huge fan.

But seeing the Nexus 5 side by side to my S4, IMO the S4 looks, and feels like the better phone to me.

The S4 colors are enhanced due to a vibrancy filter they add. It's not true color, it's like setting your TV color profile to vibrant.

As far as feel, I would say they are on par with the Nexus 5 being slightly better performance wise, but I still like the notification bar shortcut setup on the S4.

I prefer the aesthetics of the N5, the phone just feels really good in the hands. The soft touch rubber plastic feels great and the phone itself just operates the way it should. I had the S3 and I always felt I had to root my phone to get the most out of it. With the N5 it just works without me needing to add custom fw.

The S4 colors are enhanced due to a vibrancy filter they add. It's not true color, it's like setting your TV color profile to vibrant.

As far as feel, I would say they are on par with the Nexus 5 being slightly better performance wise, but I still like the notification bar shortcut setup on the S4.

I prefer the aesthetics of the N5, the phone just feels really good in the hands. The soft touch rubber plastic feels great and the phone itself just operates the way it should. I had the S3 and I always felt I had to root my phone to get the most out of it. With the N5 it just works without me needing to add custom fw.

Good points, yeah a stock S4 out of the box, sucks balls. The S4 turns into a champ, once rooted, install Xposed Framework, install a custom launcher like Nova, use a different icon pack, and delete all the carrier bloat and Samsung crap with Root Explorer etc...

My home screen;

S4home_zps35af153a.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Good points, yeah a stock S4 out of the box, sucks balls. The S4 turns into a champ, once rooted, install Xposed Framework, install a custom launcher like Nova, use a different icon pack, and delete all the carrier bloat and Samsung crap with Root Explorer etc...

Exactly the reason why I went with the Nexus. Stock Android is perfect for how I use my phone and no rooting, deleting bloat, etc. required.

With the 4.4.2 update that was just pushed through, the camera is actually very good. Image quality was fine on 4.4, but shutter/focus speed were slow. Those were both fixed wtih the update.

I really don't find anything I don't like about the Nexus 5 as compared to my wife's S4, at least for how I use my phone.

I used to spend all my time messing with my phone unlocking, rooting and trying different ROM's but after awhile you just want to turn your phone on set it up and use it rather than continually messing around with it.

Yeah once rooted with CFW the Galaxy phones are great powerhouses. Ran high end games like a dream. Samsung is just holding it back with their software.

I get why he says that. The samoled screens have such great blacks it's hard to not see it as a better screen. It took me a few weeks to realize that my N5 really did have an amazing screen.

Its artificially enhanced though, when put side by side my S4 screen looked far better than the screen on an an iPhone 5 and Nexus 5.

The issue is at the end what looks better is subjective. While you can measure an aspect like color accuracy to determine which screen is technically better in that regard it doesn't necessarily mean an individual will prefer it.

The funny part is that ppi, color accuracy, and contrast ratio are probably the only variables to scientifically measure how good a monitor is.

That said, remember the scientific proof that wma is superior to mp3?

Last edited:
The issue is at the end what looks better is subjective. While you can measure an aspect like color accuracy to determine which screen is technically better in that regard it doesn't necessarily mean an individual will prefer it.

There's nothing subjective about screen quality. The job of a screen is to reproduce an input as accurately as possible, period.

If you think it looks better to have over-saturated colors, then you should be asking for the ability to modify the color curves to adjust the inputs to the screen (aka, global instagram filters). You should *NOT* be asking for a screen that's broken.

Hi all. I'm buying two N5's today, one for me and my wife. We're also ditching Verizon for Ting (woot!).

Questions:
1. Anyone use this case? Is it chunky or clunky? http://www.amazon.com/CUSHION-Non-S...&qid=1387556697&sr=8-11&keywords=nexus+5+case
2. I'm buying two of these screen protectors too: http://mimeusa.com/product/nexus-5-feather-glass-tempered-glass-screen-protector/

Both of our phones lasted 2 years and they both got dropped and cracked (with cases on even) within the last 2 weeks. So it's time. They both landed flat, screen down. :( Survived multiple drops before.

We're just worried about protecting the new babies after our recent experiences. Do you think these two will do the job?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a big fan of the Spigen Ultra Crystal screen protectors. I have used them on my last several phones and have one on my Nexus 5. Dry application, no reduction in visibility, feels nearly like glass. Only issue would be is that it smudges up easily so get used to wiping it off.

<snip>

We're just worried about protecting the new babies after our recent experiences. Do you think these two will do the job?

Do you ever plan on using the wireless charging capabilities? Even the quite thin case I put on my nexus 7 (2013) interfered with the wireless charging abilities. (magnets wouldn't grab, wouldn't charge at all)

Do you ever plan on using the wireless charging capabilities? Even the quite thin case I put on my nexus 7 (2013) interfered with the wireless charging abilities. (magnets wouldn't grab, wouldn't charge at all)
I have the case in question and a cheap Qi charger works with it.

OK yeah I think eventually wed like to use a Qi charger but were buying the phones outright so well skip it for the time being to keep costs low.

How's the size of the case? Bulky? Do the "feet" on the back get caught on your pocket when you pull it out?

Hi all. I'm buying two N5's today, one for me and my wife. We're also ditching Verizon for Ting (woot!).

You can activate a Nexus 5 on Ting? I didn't think Sprint MVNOs would let you activate a phone that new.

What kinds of devices can I bring to Ting?

Our program is as follows: Bring your used, inactive Sprint® device to Ting, and activate it with a Ting service plan*.

Newer smartphones like the S4 and the HTC One cannot be brought over.
https://ting.com/devices/bring

It's not on their whitelist:

https://help.ting.com/entries/22567...evice-to-Ting-A-List-of-All-Supported-Devices

Good luck!

Yeah, it's supported. You just need one of their SIM cards (or a Sprint SIM card, if I recall). At first they had some issues with certain features on the N5, but it seems as though those have all been worked out now.

OK yeah I think eventually wed like to use a Qi charger but were buying the phones outright so well skip it for the time being to keep costs low.

How's the size of the case? Bulky? Do the "feet" on the back get caught on your pocket when you pull it out?
Less bulky than the the Ballistic case but noticeably thicker than a TPU case.Feet don't stick since the TPU they use is very firm almost to the point of being plastic.They keep the phone off surfaces so the case remains white and scratch free.No problems with the screen protector bubbling with it on also.

Got our phones all set up a couple days ago. Overall I really like the N5. It's very fast, Google Now works great, and I like the improvements in Android 4.4.2.

The screen is great. I don't understand why there are so many complaints about it.

The speaker does leave a bit to be desired... It's just weak. My Galaxy Nexus had a better speaker. Also, I prefer the speaker on the back because you can place it on a table as an amplifier. Having the speaker on the bottom removes this possibility.

The vibrator seems cheap too. It seems like too "coarse" of a vibration, for lack of a better word, an you can feel the motor spinning all the way around when you type on the keyboard. Definitely prefer my GNex vibrator better.

My first impression was that the overall build was cheap, but I think that's just because it's so light. The buttons work well and it doesn't creak and moan when you torque it. I like the weight now that I'm used to it.

The MIME screen protector is awesome. Hopefully it adds some longevity to the device, but I can't test that with anything other than time.

The Spigen Slim Armor case is nice. I like the black because it has the same soft-touch coating as the phone. My wife got the gold version, and it's way too slippery (I think the white has the same finish). I would not recommend those as I'd be afraid I'd drop the phone.

I would not want a phone any bigger than this. I have big hands, but short thumbs, so it's easy to hold, but hard to reach things. My GNex was about the perfect size for me. But that's a very personal opinion.

Overall, pretty happy with the device, and I think it's going to be a good companion for the next several years. Also happy with Ting. Took a bit to get it set up, but service is good and customer support is phenominal.

Got our phones all set up a couple days ago. Overall I really like the N5. It's very fast, Google Now works great, and I like the improvements in Android 4.4.2.

The screen is great. I don't understand why there are so many complaints about it.

The speaker does leave a bit to be desired... It's just weak. My Galaxy Nexus had a better speaker. Also, I prefer the speaker on the back because you can place it on a table as an amplifier. Having the speaker on the bottom removes this possibility.

The vibrator seems cheap too. It seems like too "coarse" of a vibration, for lack of a better word, an you can feel the motor spinning all the way around when you type on the keyboard. Definitely prefer my GNex vibrator better.

My first impression was that the overall build was cheap, but I think that's just because it's so light. The buttons work well and it doesn't creak and moan when you torque it. I like the weight now that I'm used to it.

The MIME screen protector is awesome. Hopefully it adds some longevity to the device, but I can't test that with anything other than time.

The Spigen Slim Armor case is nice. I like the black because it has the same soft-touch coating as the phone. My wife got the gold version, and it's way too slippery (I think the white has the same finish). I would not recommend those as I'd be afraid I'd drop the phone.

I would not want a phone any bigger than this. I have big hands, but short thumbs, so it's easy to hold, but hard to reach things. My GNex was about the perfect size for me. But that's a very personal opinion.

Overall, pretty happy with the device, and I think it's going to be a good companion for the next several years. Also happy with Ting. Took a bit to get it set up, but service is good and customer support is phenominal.

+1 Agreed with most of what you said.

Back