Nexus 6P and Oreo?

RedWagnum

Gawd
I've got a Nexus 6P that I bought from Google early this year. It shipped with Android 6 and in September it finally updated to 7. I had read about Nougat bricking a lot of phones, including the 6P and 5X, so I was apprehensive about the update. I've never had any trouble with the phone or any updates. I just received the update notification to Oreo and was looking for feedback from anyone who has the 6P and updated to Oreo.

I have a 6P, but it's still on Nougat because I'm rooted/ROM'd (on Pure Nexus ROM waiting for it to be updated). I haven't seen any reports on Oreo having any issues on the 6P/5X though. The new Pixel 2 phones have taken the lime light for having several minor-moderate issues at the moment. But I've seen several 6P owners in the comments of tech blogs mention they've updated without issues. I don't really remember the Nougat update bricking a significant amount of phones either though.

I never had an issue updating with my Nexus 5X from 6 to 7. My pixel updated to Oreo without issue also.

I too am still using the Nexus 6P, ( just haven't found a new phone that feels light years leaps and bounds better than the 6P yet, yes newer phones are better, but not night and day better ) I went back to a Nougat ROM, because the couple of Android 8.0 ROM's I tried felt funky and a little buggy. I am holding my break for the Pure Nexus ROM update, his last update was back in July, which for that ROM is a million years ago, not sure the hold up?

off topic, I am very interested in the OnePlus 5T as a possible upgrade

Damn it! I was checking the notifications on my phone last night and I hit the Clear All. Now the notification for Oreo is gone. When I go to System Update it tells me that I am up to date, Ver 7.1.2, Security Patch Level Aug 5, 2017. Check for updates and nothing, even though there have been 7 security updates since Aug 5. I really hate the way the update system works.

My 6P (now wifes) is running Oreo. No real issues, the new lockscreen is a tease to get you to buy a pixel 2 :) Never had any issues updating either.

OP, try rebooting your phone then checking again.

My 6P (now wifes) is running Oreo. No real issues, the new lockscreen is a tease to get you to buy a pixel 2 :) Never had any issues updating either.

OP, try rebooting your phone then checking again.
Thanks! No bueno. Powered the phone off, waited a couple minutes then powered it back on. System check shows the same as it did before - no updates. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until my phone comes back up to the top of the update queue.

Thanks! No bueno. Powered the phone off, waited a couple minutes then powered it back on. System check shows the same as it did before - no updates. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until my phone comes back up to the top of the update queue.
Dang. If you had already downloaded the update and not installed it you can probably go into ES Explorer and see if it is there and open it if it is. (I'm not positive about this though). Upload queue? I think I have had it on there for months now.

Dang. If you had already downloaded the update and not installed it you can probably go into ES Explorer and see if it is there and open it if it is. (I'm not positive about this though). Upload queue? I think I have had it on there for months now.
Yeah, I'm regretting not downloading the Oreo update. When I first got the notification (about 10 days ago or so) my battery was low and I didn't want to risk blowing a 998MB download. Then I kept putting it off and eventually accidentally dismissed the notification. Now I can't find a way to get it back.

Update queue - Google's update queue. I think I read somewhere that Google has a queue system for updates where they authorize a bunch of devices (how I don't know - by the IMEI or serial number I suppose) to get update notifications. Once that queue has dwindled down to a point they add more devices to the queue. If you miss out for some reason your number goes to the end of the queue. I could of course be completely wrong about this. :)

I checked a day later after the update was available and have been using it ever since with no phone issues. I just have unreliable bluetooth media connection to a Lexus RX350. I also just updated to the new Nov 5 security patch. After having the battery replaced in September, my phone has been rock solid.

Im running the update on my 6p and have had no problems. I am really liking it. Love the lock screen.

I've been running Oreo on my 6p since it released in August. On the 8.1 beta right now with the Pixel2 features for the 6p, also with no issues.

Well I finally got the Oreo update notification again. Downloaded the update and let it install and reboot. After restarting it had security updates so I downloaded them and let them install and reboot. And like every Windows upgrade, things are in different places. But it looks like I'm now on Oreo, with security update Nov 5, 2017 so it looks like I'm still missing the latest security patch (Nov 6, 2017). Other than that the only thing I have noticed so far is that the battery "time remaining" seems to be way off from Nougat. Right now at ~65% it says I have 3 hours remaining. Nougat would show about a day and a half. I'll see if that changes after a couple of charge cycles.

I've got a Nexus 6P that I bought from Google early this year. It shipped with Android 6 and in September it finally updated to 7. I had read about Nougat bricking a lot of phones, including the 6P and 5X, so I was apprehensive about the update. I've never had any trouble with the phone or any updates. I just received the update notification to Oreo and was looking for feedback from anyone who has the 6P and updated to Oreo.

When I had my 6P, had no issues with Oreo.

IIRC, Nougat bricking devices (5x or 6p, forget which one had the issue) stems from hardware problems which hadn't came to light until Nougat. Maybe hardware wasn't fully utilized until Nougat, or certain aspects weren't at least.

My Nexus 6p is in the graveyard but was running Oreo Beta just fine for a long while. I've always hopped onto the beta program for google and I've yet to have any major issues. I've since upgraded to a Pixel 2, but I would just say go for Oreo. It's a nice stable OS at this point.

Back