Nexus 6 speculation

I always follow this guys instructions. Just follow the step by step tutorial, and is easy as pie :)

VIDEO;
How to Root Nexus 6! [Win/Mac/Linux][Android 5.1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTClxlvrInE

WEBSITE;
http://highonandroid.com/android-howtos/how-to-root-nexus-6-windowsmaclinux/

Open up both pages, to show them side by side on your monitor. The YouTube video on one page, and then his written instructions on another page. The whole process should take less than 15 minutes, and you will be rooted, with Custom Recovery.

And then downland the ROM, and the GAPPS, and throw onto your phone's storage. Reboot into Recovery, do a full system wipe first, and then flash the ROM, and immediately after that, flash the GAPPS, reboot, and then setup up your phone, and profit.

You left out turning on OEM unlocking, amigo. Very common error, that leads to grief.

Hopefully I'm not stirring the pot on rezzing threads if they are supposed to be dead, but I ditched the Nexus 6 altogether. After a major family situation and my phone proving to be unreliable in a lot of ways, I swapped over to the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It's been real, but I need reliability.

And the Note 5 has been 100% that.

Hopefully I'm not stirring the pot on rezzing threads if they are supposed to be dead, but I ditched the Nexus 6 altogether. After a major family situation and my phone proving to be unreliable in a lot of ways, I swapped over to the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It's been real, but I need reliability.

And the Note 5 has been 100% that.

I just bought a nexus 6 so I'm curious what was unreliable about the phone? Can you elaborate?

Me too, first time I've ever heard a Nexus 6 (or Nexus 5) being unreliable...

The only reliability complaint I've heard is from a friend who has a nexus 5. She claims that since she updated to lollipop, it will randomly shut down and not turn back on. It sounds fishy to me and I think there might be some user error mixed in with it. Other than that I've never heard anything negative about reliability from any nexus device.

Can someone tell me what Samsung device the Nexus 6's AMOLED screen is equivalent to. I keep seeing all of these (probably bullshit) reasons about why the screen is average at best, but I don't care as long as it's as good as my Note 3's screen.

The note 3s screen was one of the first where Samsung started listening to people complain about the color accuracy. If I remember correctly almost everyone said that at the time, it was the best screen on any phone. Samsung has only made better screens since then with the gs6 and the note 4. The nexus 6 screen is good, it's just tough when compared to other amoleds this generation.

My Nexus 5 had been running great in the year+ that I've had it. I only wish the battery life would have been better when I first bought it, but after awhile I just plug in in every other day or sit it on the wireless charger out of habit now. I'm curious about the new LG Nexus 5 that's supposed to come out.

The only reliability complaint I've heard is from a friend who has a nexus 5. She claims that since she updated to lollipop, it will randomly shut down and not turn back on. It sounds fishy to me and I think there might be some user error mixed in with it. Other than that I've never heard anything negative about reliability from any nexus device.

I was actually having a similar issue with my Nexus 4. It would randomly shut off in my pocket and would not always want to turn on once I realized it was off. When it would be reluctant I would have to plug it in, regardless of battery level. Even then it was finicky.

I never chased down ever app to see if it was an app issue vs Lollipop, but I use relatively few apps and did do a factory reset after one of the 5.1x updates and the issue persisted.

The phone was 2+ years old though, so I got my good ($349) out of it.

Eagerly awaiting the unveiling on the 29th. I have been riding the Note 2 for a long time now. Was going go to last years Nexus 6 this summer but will wait to see what the new 6 really is before deciding between the two likely.

-Have your nexus 6 received the M update yet? Mine which was bought off Amazon is still on 5.1.1 with no update available. Any inputs ?

-Have your nexus 6 received the M update yet? Mine which was bought off Amazon is still on 5.1.1 with no update available. Any inputs ?

I think it depends on your carrier, if you're waiting for an OEM upgrade. However, the 6.0 (note that "M" is considered the beta/pre-release versions in the vernacular) update is ready for the Nexus 6 - mine is using it now! Google has released official Nexus images that can be flashed via ADB or whatnot, for the N6 and other Nexus devices. Are you comfortable with updating it yourself manually? Do you have any interest in rooting (which is a bit different in 6.0 due to some new features etc)?

Let me suggest you use the Nexus Root Toolkit by "WugFresh", a user who frequents the XDA Developers forums. You can find it at www.wugfresh.com/nrt . This tool is great for any Nexus device, rooted or otherwise as it gives user friendly GUI methods to access a variety of ADB features including bootloader unlocking, rooting, flashing/updating stock ROMs, installing custom recoveries and updating etc. You can use the NRT to flash the full "stock" version of Android 6.0 Marshmallow to your Nexus with ease! Any questions let me know :D

i got mine off amazon then just logged into my gmail and hooked to wifi and let it update. It went to 6.0. Mind you this is before putting a sim card in it because google does respect carrier releases. Then i activated it once i marshmallow was done.

Been using marshmallow builds for a month. No reason to wait for for damn carrier, flash factory images or a ROM

I haven't received it yet, just the October and November security updates. I'm on Tmo, don't want to flash the other images since I'll have to wipe my phone. Could fiddle with backups and all that, but ugh...

-Thanks for all the replies guys, so to my understanding (my phone is on T-Mobile) I'm not getting updates straight from google anymore unless I'm on Project Fi? If I want OTA update then I'll have to wait for T-Mo to push the update? That's really suck since I remember when lollipop was released, the nexus 4 got it in about 2 weeks :mad::mad:. If that is the case then what's the point of getting a nexus device onwards? AFAIK, manually updating the phone is possible but I don't want to wipe it. I'd love to get the OTA asap like it used to be :mad:

Whats the best case for this phone. Also i had verizon put a glass screen protector on the phone and it doesnt even cover the whole screen. Is there any better aftermarket choices?

Whats the best case for this phone. Also i had verizon put a glass screen protector on the phone and it doesnt even cover the whole screen. Is there any better aftermarket choices?

It's impossible to have a protector that cover the whole screen since it's curved (or at least that's what I've found so far). The best (cheap) case is probably the ringke slim, it won't protect your phone from drops but scratches and dents protection are very good imo, cost me $10 on Amazon. Most of the cases with shock protection are too cumbersome to the point that it makes the already large phone unwieldable.

I have the Spigen thin case:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH4HLJ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

and the intelliglass Pro from IntelliArmor. It comes close to the edge
http://www.intelliarmor.com/shop-by...-the-smarter-real-glass-screen-protector.html

Got my third 6P and there's still a cosmetic issue. I'm done.

Was it the plastic piece on the bottom? I wonder how widespread this would have been if MKBHD had not mentioned it in his 6P review?

I decided to stick with my iPhone 6 Plus and sold my Nexus 6P. The buyer got it, inspected it and said he wanted to return it as it had a defect. I did accept the return and refunded his payment in full. It was the plastic piece on the back at the bottom.

It sounds like it is very common and the result of excess epoxy on one side so the piece does not sit totally flush. TBH, I had to look for it on mine to notice it.

If you are looking for it specifically you may notice it as there is an ever so slight ridge that you can feel if you run your finger over it but again I know I did not notice it when had it.

Sounds like there are owners doing multiple RMA's for this and each one has it.

Someone over at XDA or another site said he used a hairdryer and some light pressure and any slight imperfection was fixed.

My 6p has the same issue, but its ever so slightly higher on one side that I don't really care. And from what I have seem pretty much all of them have the problem and some people don't notice because its so slight.

Mine also has the top speaker louder than the bottom but I don't use speakers much and from what I read online its always the top speaker louder than the bottom, and you can adjust in software so its not a big deal to me.

Wow, are people really returning phones over that plastic piece barely sticking out? I know some people are pretty OCD about aesthetics, but that's pretty excessive I think, esp. when you can easily fix it yourself if you want. It makes even less sense if you're using a case on it as well.

My Note 2 had a spot on the battery cover that wouldn't snap in all the way so it didn't line up perfectly with the sides. I totally should have returned the whole phone for that. :rolleyes:

I know some people had issues with it starting to lift off because their hand constantly got caught on it, but those pictures I saw it was really misaligned from the beginning and not just a slightly higher edge.

Is the piece at the bottom really plastic? I guess that would explain why most (all?) of them are like that. The replacement I got today would have been acceptable if there wasn't this weird scuff-like mark near the logo.

Is the piece at the bottom really plastic? I guess that would explain why most (all?) of them are like that. The replacement I got today would have been acceptable if there wasn't this weird scuff-like mark near the logo.

Probably...you do need to make a hole in the faraday cage for radio to get through for service ya know.

Wow, are people really returning phones over that plastic piece barely sticking out? I know some people are pretty OCD about aesthetics, but that's pretty excessive I think, esp. when you can easily fix it yourself if you want. It makes even less sense if you're using a case on it as well.

My Note 2 had a spot on the battery cover that wouldn't snap in all the way so it didn't line up perfectly with the sides. I totally should have returned the whole phone for that. :rolleyes:

When there are other models of phones out there that are pretty much perfect and you are spending half a grand on a phone, yeah they expect a level of quality.

The next Nexus should be by Samsung. It should simply be the next version of the Note, with vanilla Android and a Nexus logo on the back of it. Make the call; I insist.

The next Nexus should be by Samsung. It should simply be the next version of the Note, with vanilla Android and a Nexus logo on the back of it. Make the call; I insist.

With fucking Knox and bizzarro closed source drivers and 200 different SKUs for every goddamn different carrier and country...no thank you. F Samsung.

With fucking Knox and bizzarro closed source drivers and 200 different SKUs for every goddamn different carrier and country...no thank you. F Samsung.

I think the point of a Nexus Samsung is that it wont have those features, or rather missing those features is a feature itself. The biggest issue I have with Samsung isn't the hardware but the really really bad software like you, I wouldn't mind Google writing all the drivers and Samsung just supplying the hardware. Until then I won't be buying another phone from Samsung.

When there are other models of phones out there that are pretty much perfect and you are spending half a grand on a phone, yeah they expect a level of quality.

Big difference between quality and perfection though, the device is high quality. People want perfection. Pretty much all phones are still mass market, mass made devices. They aren't hand made Lamborghinis, which is what people are expecting. If you wanted a perfect device the markup on these would be much higher to take that into account. You can compare to Apple. For the most part Apple will get you a perfect device, but at a price of $250 more for a comparable size/capacity.

Big difference between quality and perfection though, the device is high quality. People want perfection. Pretty much all phones are still mass market, mass made devices. They aren't hand made Lamborghinis, which is what people are expecting. If you wanted a perfect device the markup on these would be much higher to take that into account. You can compare to Apple. For the most part Apple will get you a perfect device, but at a price of $250 more for a comparable size/capacity.

What Munkle said.

Plus I'll take a misaligned piece of plastic over a delicate glass back that constantly shows grease marks all over it. I'm always wiping my wife's GS6 off cuz it's so nasty looking all the time, even all over the front since the glass extends all the way from the top to the bottom of the phone. Function > form

Back