Nexus 6 speculation

Yea, I heard about these counter part s-alternative apps on Google play and a majority of them are direct rip offs. The biggest is probably snote which works great already

"Works great" in the sense that its widgets suck, least on the incarnation of TWiz on Note2.

I'm done with Samsung. Period. Fuck Knox, and Samsung's lockdown antics.

The Nexus device will get better updates and have a much better community support from XDA and ROMs. for about 6 months now the Note2 boards have been ghost towns. The 18 months of no updates after 4.1.2 killed it.

If the Nexus device is a phablet like the rumors say, then I'm all over it.

I agree, and Samsung has been sucking hard the last couple years with the U.S. Carriers :mad:.

I had the ATT Note 2 and that thing was an amazing beast of a phone, and even though it was an ATT version, it was totally unlocked, rootable, and custom Recovery easily put on, with tons of development on XDA for the ATT Note 2.

And that was the last of the good times with Samsung and U.S. carriers :(

Now since the Galaxy S4 and Note 3, and S5, Samsung has locked their phones down tight like a submarine, ZERO development, root taking forever to come out for brand new devices, not true custom Recovery and ROM's anymore :confused: Look at the XDA threads for the ATT Note 3 and ATT S5, just a sad sight.

What happened to the good old Note 2 type days ? Unlocked and Recovery easily ?

I agree, and Samsung has been sucking hard the last couple years with the U.S. Carriers :mad:.

I had the ATT Note 2 and that thing was an amazing beast of a phone, and even though it was an ATT version, it was totally unlocked, rootable, and custom Recovery easily put on, with tons of development on XDA for the ATT Note 2.

And that was the last of the good times with Samsung and U.S. carriers :(

Now since the Galaxy S4 and Note 3, and S5, Samsung has locked their phones down tight like a submarine, ZERO development, root taking forever to come out for brand new devices, not true custom Recovery and ROM's anymore :confused: Look at the XDA threads for the ATT Note 3 and ATT S5, just a sad sight.

What happened to the good old Note 2 type days ? Unlocked and Recovery easily ?

ATT and VZW are the suck like that...the locked bootlader combined with Knox has been a dev death sentence for smartphones. Sprint hasn't taken to doing that crap, at least yet.

ATT and VZW are the suck like that...the locked bootlader combined with Knox has been a dev death sentence for smartphones. Sprint hasn't taken to doing that crap, at least yet.

The #1 reason I currently own the HTC One M8 from ATT, and not the Samsung Note 3 or S5, is because HTC openly allows unlocking the bootloader on their own HTC website :D

Right now I am running the GPE ROM on my One M8 and LOVE this phone, and thanks to HTC for allowing this to happen. I bought my One M8 for just $49, due to the 'Next" program on ATT.

Probably because they are hurting for subscribers. Their ARPU numbers are very low. At this point they are ok with making little to nothing to get the subscriber base and doing whatever it can. Right now is probably the best time to get into sprint before everyone realizes how good of a deal Framily is and when they get the numbers they need the prices will increase just like Verizon and ATT. Except Verizon got to buy themselves into being number one overnight. Sprint will not get that chance, T-Mobile buyout seems to be 99% unlikely and of course they will never have the money to buy ATT and Verizon.

The #1 reason I currently own the HTC One M8 from ATT, and not the Samsung Note 3 or S5, is because HTC openly allows unlocking the bootloader on their own HTC website :D

Right now I am running the GPE ROM on my One M8 and LOVE this phone, and thanks to HTC for allowing this to happen. I bought my One M8 for just $49, due to the 'Next" program on ATT.

I thought the M8 on the Next plan was $27.92/MO. for 20 or 24 months on top of your monthly plan which is in addition to whatever the cost was when you signed up for the Next plan?

Nexus 6 flaunts Snapdragon 805 on AnTuTu
http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_6_flaunts_snapdragon_805_on_antutu-news-9327.php

AnTuTu's database has the device under the name Google shamu, which seems to solidify the rumor that this will indeed be the Nexus 6. The device carries a 5.2" QHD (1,440 x 2,560 pixles) display with around 564 ppi for unmatched sharpness.

The camera on the back will be a 13MP unit coupled with a 2.1MP one for the front. Finally the Shamu will be adorned with Android L for good measure - adding even more fuel to the Nexus fire.

AnTuTu's database has the device under the name Google shamu, which seems to solidify the rumor that this will indeed be the Nexus 6. The device carries a 5.2" QHD (1,440 x 2,560 pixles) display with around 564 ppi for unmatched sharpness.

The camera on the back will be a 13MP unit coupled with a 2.1MP one for the front. Finally the Shamu will be adorned with Android L for good measure - adding even more fuel to the Nexus fire.

Boo for small screens. :(

YAY! This will be the phone to replace my old Samsung Galaxy S3! 5.2" screen is perfect :D:D:D:D

This new rumor for the Nexus 6 makes perfect sense;

- 5.2" screen is a nice little bump up, and is in line with what they do every year, with a little larger screen size, so this seems totally normal and expected.

- Snapdragon 805 is the new standard this Fall in all Android phones, so no surprise there, I expect this. Every Nexus phone always gets whatever is the latest processor out.

- 3GB RAM ? I guess, that seems to be the standard paring with the 805 processor.

- WQHD display ? That also seems to be the new Android standard the second half of this year. I don't really want it, or see a need for it, to me 1080p is perfectly fine, and battery life worries me with that high res.

- Biggest question, battery size ? With that beastly resolution, we need at least a 3,000mAh to be decent, and sadly the Nexus phones always fall short on battery life, they gimp that every year :( Please Google put in a beast of a battery.

- Next question, who's the manufacturer ? Motorola ? If so, let's see some MAXX style 3,500mAh battery in the Nexus 6 :cool:

That could be possible in phones next year, USB 3.0 is just barely going into phones now and that standard has been out for a few years now.

USB 3.0 will largely be avoided due to *huge* connector size. 3.1 Type-C will be extremely popular especially when ultrabooks using it to charge the device itself.

Last edited:
A 5.2-inch screen isn't small. The majority of people use phones with screens around 5 inches or smaller (remember, even most of Samsung's phones are under 5.2 inches). And on that note, the Nexus program is designed to represent an experience shared by a lot of Android users -- you can't test real-world usability if your phone is bigger than what most people have. I wouldn't rule out a gigantic Nexus 6, but I'm not counting on it.

USB3 is good for charging but so far the implementations haven't been amazing for data transfers.

I hope that the new plug standard really helps it take off, as it is the current plug is big to maintain backwards compatibility.

hmmmm its motorola making it? they are usually good on battery life in their phones. maybe i should consider the nexus 6 when i upgrade. :)

hmmmm its motorola making it? they are usually good on battery life in their phones. maybe i should consider the nexus 6 when i upgrade. :)

Not always but they do well when they only have one phone they are working on. I'm interested in this if it has a lot of Motorola traits.

Although I doubt I'll switch from my note 3 this year unless Apple releases their phablet.

Thank god they're not going for the behemoth 5.9" size. Still wonder it would feel in the hands, I think the G3 is already too big of a phone IMO. I like to have full screen control with one thumb.

The Nexus 6 might be one of eight hot new phones Motorola launches this fall
http://bgr.com/2014/08/21/nexus-6-rumors-specs/

TKTechNews has also provided a picture of a purported Nexus 6 handset, which displays specs for the handset, including a 2K display of unknown size, Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 CPU, 13-megapixel camera and AOSP version of Android L. The device is clearly branded as a Google handset, assuming the image (available below) is accurate.

Google Nexus 6 update: Motorola working on handset
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...n.nexus.handset.plus.mid.range.line/39862.htm

The company, now owned by Lenovo, is reportedly working on the upcoming Nexus smartphone. Speculations claim that the smartphone is the same as the previously rumored Droid Turbo headed to Verizon.

Motorola is reportedly working on the next Nexus smartphone called "Shamu". Android Authority got ahold of alleged photos of the new Motorola handset codenamed "Motorola XT1254."

I want to buy now.

ugh...Definitely in need of an upgrade, my S3 (had it since launch day) needs to be replaced SOON.

I want to buy now.

ugh...Definitely in need of an upgrade, my S3 (had it since launch day) needs to be replaced SOON.

Yes with the dev activity on Note 2 bottoming out I'm getting excited.

Nexus X leak confirms monster specs and new Android L details
http://tktechnews.com/2014/08/25/more-nexus-x-screenshots/

The Nexus 6’s actual name, price and launch details may have just been revealed
http://bgr.com/2014/08/25/nexus-6-nexus-x-price-and-release-date/

New information revealing the Nexus 6 will actually be called the Nexus X, with a 5.9" screen. The phone should start selling this fall, before October, and could cost up to $499.99 in the U.S. and €419.99 in Europe.

TKTechNews has posted images showing two store listings that mentioned the Nexus X product name for the Motorola Nexus smartphone – which apparently is known internally as the XT1100. Fnac Portugal and Best Buy already have alleged Nexus X pages for the product that list the price of the device and specs.

Meanwhile, Phone Arena says it learned that Nexus X is currently the internal name for the Nexus 6, although Nexus X is also “most likely” to become to official name of the XT1100.

The publication says Google is avoiding the Nexus 6 name in order not to risk any legal troubles – the Nexus-6 is the name of androids in Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? story which may be better known as Blade Runner to movie fans

Last edited:
Nice!!! Quick question, do the Nexus mobile phones have the same "shortage" issues like Apple and their iPhones? When the new Nexus phone launches, I plan to buy it on launch date.

Nice!!! Quick question, do the Nexus mobile phones have the same "shortage" issues like Apple and their iPhones? When the new Nexus phone launches, I plan to buy it on launch date.

Lots of it is artificial shortage, but sometimes is due to component shortages because Apple uses some unique hardware. Nexus phones normally do not have this issue.

From a guy rumored to have seen the 5.9" Nexus X;
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6/417531-nexus-6-shamu-motorola-5.html

Any way I look at it, to me, a 6" phone is huge, especially when my DD is a Moto X. It was considerably bigger than a OnePlus One. Proportionally, though, it looks nice...Not like a Nexus 7 (2013) for instance.

The bezels really aren't bad, but yeah, it's impossible to use one handed.

At this point I could almost believe 2 discrete separate form factors with the same internals. It is something I've wondered why no other maker has done yet.

...granted I'm wanting the 5.5"+ form factor.

5.9 ? I thought it was going to be more towards the 5.3 size?

It is all rumors first was 5.9"...then this 5.2" thing briefly came out...now the 5.9 resurfaces. Which is why I'm prone to almost believe to discrete device sizes.

I am hoping this rumored 5.9" Motorola phone is something other than the Nexus X, maybe is one of the 8 new phones Motorola has coming out this Fall, could be their Phablet phone ?

I am still betting on the Nexus 6 smartphone being 5.2" screen, maybe 5.3". But that this 5.9" Motorola phone is something else, or maybe even Google's first Nexus Phablet to compete with the Galaxy Note 4. But that the main Nexus smartphone will be like 5.2" or so.

I am a HUGE Nexus fan, owned four of the five Nexus phones. But if the Nexus 6 is 5.9" NO WAY buying that, zero interest in something that large.

I agree, I have a Nexus 7 tablet that I take with me almost everywhere, definitely don't need a 5.9" phone...I hope it comes out to be around 5.3 or 5.5 with minimal bezel. Only time will tell :)

Back