Next-Gen Source 2 Engine Is In Development?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't find it hard to believe a rumor that Valve is working on a Source 2 engine. Now, if it was Source 3...or anything ending in 3, I'd call B.S. immediately. ;)

He's found many more references to a "Source 2", but not just one vague line like our previous entry. We're only one file deep, and already it's clear that the references to "Source 2" are indeed referring to a next-gen engine that Valve is currently developing. I'm only going to show one line in this post, but there are about 60+ references here, and this one line is probably the most telling.

It would be nice to see HL3 before a decade has lapsed since their last installment.

I was hoping to hear about another engine from Valve. I'm more interested in seeing a new engine from them than I am about Half Life 3 for the moment.

Mainly because it just makes sense for them to create a new engine for their new game. I'm tired of seeing sequals all done in the same engine.

I'd prefer seeing a new IP by Valve. Enough with recycling old stuff. Who really want HL3? People just go around asking for shits but nobody really wants it.

I'd prefer seeing a new IP by Valve. Enough with recycling old stuff. Who really want HL3? People just go around asking for shits but nobody really wants it.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the HL story never really ended. That's why people wanted HL3, because it was supposed to end the saga. Plus, the HL games have always been excellent.

Someone should make a version of the Sims where you (the "god" character) play the G-Man and your Sims are all the characters from the HL series...What say you, interwebs??

*5 years later*

"We are continuing to work on the Source 2, Episode 3 engine."

So will this be all new or will all my steam games grow from 7gigs a pop to 20gigs a pop that bloated piece of shit

As revolutionary as the Source engine was for it's time I'm very interested to see what the Source2 engine holds. Not like they have not had much development time.

They've probably been developing it since 2007. Making an Engine can take a very long time depending on your goals.

I can see this. I'd doubt HL3 would launch on the original source, it's too dated.

I predict Valve will completely remake and re-release HL1 and HL2 on this new engine for a sure fire cash grab from Steam users. Would be pretty cool playing through HL1 again with high res textures, new lighting and effects, high polygon character models, etc.

I predict Valve will completely remake and re-release HL1 and HL2 on this new engine for a sure fire cash grab from Steam users. Would be pretty cool playing through HL1 again with high res textures, new lighting and effects, high polygon character models, etc.

There is no new engine and there probably never will be.

I did the original point of Source was everything was modular, so everything gets improved in segments. IE geometry, mapping, shading etc all get updated as necc. Assuming they really glue it all together in a agnostic way im not sure they would just develop something new from scratch,

So do you have a source for this or are you pulling it out of you ass? I'm thinking no to the first question and yes to the second.

Because there are two iterations of the Source engine, the latter being referred to outside of Valve as the L4D engine. Internally it's referred to as Source2. Valve might not even come out and deny these rumors as the retards who pick everything little thing Valve does apart are generating shit loads of hype. It's good marketing.

Because there are two iterations of the Source engine, the latter being referred to outside of Valve as the L4D engine. Internally it's referred to as Source2. Valve might not even come out and deny these rumors as the retards who pick everything little thing Valve does apart are generating shit loads of hype. It's good marketing.

So basically, you've got no source and you're pulling shit out of your ass. I mean, you had to get this "information" from somewhere, so where is it? Don't worry, I'll wait.

So basically, you've got no source and you're pulling shit out of your ass. I mean, you had to get this "information" from somewhere, so where is it? Don't worry, I'll wait.

Please give me a better explanation of what Source2 is. I would love to hear what you pull out your ass. It's very commonly known that there are 2 large iterations of the current Source engine.

Please give me a better explanation of what Source2 is. I would love to hear what you pull out your ass.

Occam's Razor. It's Valve's next generation engine

Code:
Line 1387:
'''Return an str with the current engine version.
If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'''

Master_of_Sparks said:
It's very commonly known that there are 2 large iterations of the current Source engine.

Then why can't you provide a source stating as such?

Occam's Razor. It's Valve's next generation engine

Code:
Line 1387:
'''Return an str with the current engine version.
If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'''

Then why can't you provide a source stating as such?

You have just as much proof as I do.

Source is split off into a billion branches at the moment, afaik. There's older ones like HL2 which are now on whatever EP2 was, I think, then TF2 is its own branch, L4D was another branch, Portal may have forked from L4D, then that lead to Alien Swarm and Portal 2. Whatever from whichever codebase finds its way around to other branches.

I'm not sure there will ever be a strict "Source 2," if anything, it will be when they're done overhauling the toolchain, which is seemingly a work in process. There's some nasty legacy cruft in the engine, but I don't really think that they're necessarily being held back by anything other than their own choice for the most part.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjXx-KweIo -- a modder (who has apparently since been asked to join Valve) made this.

You have just as much proof as I do.

So basically, what you're saying is that you have none? What I have is logic. Moving a whole version number signifies a large jump, using the words "next-gen" in code signifies a larger jump than source to updated L4D source, the brand-new updated hammer icons points to a new engine.

What you have is only the scent of your own bullshit wafting up from your mouth to your nose. You come in this thread and post information like your Gabe Newell himself, like you were making those decisions yourself. Then, when you get called out all you can say is "well, you don't know either".

Source is split off into a billion branches at the moment, afaik. There's older ones like HL2 which are now on whatever EP2 was, I think, then TF2 is its own branch, L4D was another branch, Portal may have forked from L4D, then that lead to Alien Swarm and Portal 2. Whatever from whichever codebase finds its way around to other branches.

I'm not sure there will ever be a strict "Source 2," if anything, it will be when they're done overhauling the toolchain, which is seemingly a work in process. There's some nasty legacy cruft in the engine, but I don't really think that they're necessarily being held back by anything other than their own choice for the most part.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjXx-KweIo -- a modder (who has apparently since been asked to join Valve) made this.

This is one of the most informed posts on the matter, but I'll have to disagree with you on the "no new engine" thing - I'd be more than willing to bet they have a good number of people working on it now.

At this point a new engine, mostly for scratch just makes sense. Let's see:

-Like you said, their are many branches of the source engine (there is even a heavily modded beta version of source behind VtM: Bloodlines) this means a wider range of code to support
-As ArbY kinda noted, Valve has been backporting features from newer games like TF2 to older games like CS:S, almost ensuring weird compatibility patches creeping into the source code.
-Valve has, in the past, criticized Windows 8 and the XBL platform, if they choose to move away from Windows 8 this gives them less reason to stick with DirectX.
-Valve has been porting their old games to OpenGL for the PS3, Apple, and now Linux and have been pleased with the performance.
-Maintaining an OpenGL and DirectX branch in the long term would be even more of a hassle than just one or the other
-Source has already far outlived GoldSrc, has aged gracefully, and while taking on tons of patches and improvements - however, they are probably reaching a point where they are reaching limits of the Source engine as it is already very old for a game engine.
-Considering all the hiring Valve has been doing over the years, they now have access to a much larger, more diverse talent pool to work with.
-Valve has 8 years of successful experience and knowledge of building a highly modular game engine to work with.

I would bet good money that not only is a new engine is the pipe but also that it will be completely OpenGL based as well. Valve may be making a shitload more money now than they were years ago but the cost to maintain such an aged engine and the delays it will cause will only increase from here on out.

I really hope Valve will develop a new engine because Source is already out and outdated, and I would prefer an engine to take advantage of today's high end hardware.

I did the original point of Source was everything was modular, so everything gets improved in segments. IE geometry, mapping, shading etc all get updated as necc. Assuming they really glue it all together in a agnostic way im not sure they would just develop something new from scratch,
They wouldn't, no. They're going to take the current architecture, make improvements to it and add features. It's going to have a large amount of code from Quake and GoldSrc. They may or may not call it 'Source 2'. They may not call it anything at all.

Whether people get upset about this depends on whether they do end up changing the 'version number'. The less-technically-affluent users here tend to get hung up on engine naming conventions and get agitated when engine names and/or marketing version numbers don't change.

As a general rule, to keep people happy, the version number must change, but it cannot change too quickly, else that becomes a problem (see: Firefox), for reasons I cannot even begin to comprehend. It must also use the correct versions of APIs, else it becomes an unpurchasable product.

Back