Newegg Shipping - Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
So yesterday I broke down and bought some 2TB drives from newegg. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I figured out, why not give them a 6th try after their first packaging flub.... and with the current price on them mixed in with the GURANTEED 3DAY shipping, I figured why not.

Anyways, I went to check my tracking confirmation after buying the drives, it's not 3Day Shipping, it's ground shipping.

The page clearly states 3 day guranteed shipping, the checkout clearly stated 3 day shipping.

Is this a new newegg trend? Offer 3 day and give ground?

Yes, I'm whining, because I have expensive drives with most likley neweggs infamous packaging coming in... and it is coming in via ground.

I will be doing a picture opening upon the packages arrival.

I live close enough to a NewEgg shipping center that my shopping cart often says 1-day shipping but my packages arrive via ground the next day. Seems odd how your packages ship ground even if you explicitly choose 3-day.

Not uncommon for shippers to do that. They charge for 2 day or 3 day, but ground says it'll get there in 2 or 3 days, when in fact it's not guaranteed. Amazon did this to me once. I bitched and got a refund for the shipping difference.

Not uncommon for shippers to do that. They charge for 2 day or 3 day, but ground says it'll get there in 2 or 3 days, when in fact it's not guaranteed. Amazon did this to me once. I bitched and got a refund for the shipping difference.
Amazon customer service owns!

Ground shipping usually means it will reach you in 3 days. I've never ordered anything from newegg via ground that didn't get to me in 2 or 3 working days. I'll order something on a Tuesday afternoon and i'll get it on Thursday morning, typically.

Is newegg hardrive packaging really bad? I always though peanuts and bubble wrap was acceptable. I ordered a 250g WD drive a few months back and it didn't look too bad.

Is newegg hardrive packaging really bad? I always though peanuts and bubble wrap was acceptable. I ordered a 250g WD drive a few months back and it didn't look too bad.

I've never had any issues with drives bought from Newegg. Some people say it's horrid and is responsible for drive deaths.

Usually they treat me fine, but I just bit on some more hard drives as well.... ordered Thursday, paid for rush shipping, they said it shipped that day (Thurs) from NJ which is ONE DAY GROUND to me (considering it's only a couple hours away...).

And yet when is it showing up? FREAKING TUESDAY when it should have been here YESTERDAY! (yes I know Monday is a holiday) Not sure if this is Newegg or UPS dropping the ball but means I don't get the long weekend to build my new WHS :(

Good luck, Ockie. I've never had problems with newegg's hard drive packaging but that was only ordering 1 drive at a time. The way they pack them I wouldn't do multiple drives on the same order since they don't use the foam slot packaging or the plastic clamshells.

3 day shipping is ground. It always has been. Also don't forget it's a holiday weekend so packages will be delayed.

I have 2 1tb drives coming from newegg. I order all my drives from newegg. Never once had a problem.

You should certainly call Newegg and at least ask for a refund for the price difference between 3-Day and Ground.

Ground shipping usually means it will reach you in 3 days. I've never ordered anything from newegg via ground that didn't get to me in 2 or 3 working days. I'll order something on a Tuesday afternoon and i'll get it on Thursday morning, typically.

Well this aint 3 days, this is more than a week.

Ockie unless it specifically says "UPS 3 Day Select" you are getting ground. That is why 3 Day generally costs more. http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/index.html?WT.svl=SubNav

Newegg doesn't offer 3 Day Select for this drive, so I'm guessing their warehouse guys screwed up and put the wrong label on it. Hard to say who is actually at fault.

It specifically said UPS 3 Day Guranteed

3 day shipping is ground. It always has been. Also don't forget it's a holiday weekend so packages will be delayed.

I have 2 1tb drives coming from newegg. I order all my drives from newegg. Never once had a problem.

3 day shipping is not ground, 3 day shipping is 3 day shipping. Ground is ground. 3 day is 3 day, 2 day is 2 day, etc.

Holidays matter, but 7 days is not 3 days.

I guess I could call, but that does not help me get the drives faster :( Now lets wait for the packaging and see if I get some surprises! Sorry that I'm venting here guys, I'm trying to break the newegg drive curse but so far it ain't working!!!!

Last edited:
Well this aint 3 days, this is more than a week.

Tuesday to thursday is two days. I don't know how you got a week out of that.

3 day shipping is not ground, 3 day shipping is 3 day shipping. Ground is ground. 3 day is 3 day, 2 day is 2 day, etc.

Holidays matter, but 7 days is not 3 days.

3 day is 3 day. But it usually comes ground. One is the amount of time which was your only guarentee. The method of travel matters not.
I always get 3 day. And it ways comes ground. In 3 days.

Tuesday to thursday is two days. I don't know how you got a week out of that.

3 day is 3 day. But it usually comes ground. One is the amount of time which was your only guarentee. The method of travel matters not.
I always get 3 day. And it ways comes ground. In 3 days.

I don't know how you assume or get that out of my post. I guess you just assume that it's to be shipped Tuesday and you just assume that 3 day means ground. The true 3 day shipping system is a whole lot different from the ground system, keep this in mind. I have been to both express and ground shipping facilities, not only is it a world of difference in professionalism, but the process is quicker, and the shipping methods are more direct.

I find that if this is the case of guaranteeing their 3 day shipping as ground shipping is slightly deceptive. UPS nor Fedex can grantee their ground shipments as 3 days, even if you ship to the same neighborhood. They should mark it as "ground - 3 days guaranteed" or mark it appropriately.

Had I known of this deceptive shipping method, I would have either bought two days or I would have shopped somewhere else.

Yes, I'm whining, live with it. When it comes to hard drives, I take the shit personal.

I don't know how you assume or get that out of my post. I guess you just assume that it's to be shipped Tuesday and you just assume that 3 day means ground. The true 3 day shipping system is a whole lot different from the ground system, keep this in mind. I have been to both express and ground shipping facilities, not only is it a world of difference in professionalism, but the process is quicker, and the shipping methods are more direct.

I find that if this is the case of guaranteeing their 3 day shipping as ground shipping is slightly deceptive. UPS nor Fedex can grantee their ground shipments as 3 days, even if you ship to the same neighborhood. They should mark it as "ground - 3 days guaranteed" or mark it appropriately.

Had I known of this deceptive shipping method, I would have either bought two days or I would have shopped somewhere else.

Yes, I'm whining, live with it. When it comes to hard drives, I take the shit personal.

I don't assume your's is shipping tuesday. But the post you quoted he said it took from tuesday to thursday. You said that was more than a week. I don't know how tuesday to thursday is more than a week.

Who the fuck cares man, you'll have it in 3 days one way or another(excluding weekends and holidays) so stop whining. It's not deceptive. It's the way it's always been. 3 days is 3 days one way or another. You'll get it in 3 business days. That's all that matters. Sheesh, There are so many more important things in life, just seems silly to get so worked up over something so trivial.

My server, all my computers, the computers i've built for others, i've ordered every single drive from newegg. Always 3 day ground. Never a single issue.

Last edited:
I'm missing something, how long did shipping end up taking?

BTW I always just take the freeshipping or whatever the cheapest is from newegg.. always get stuff in 2-3 days.

Actually last two 1.5TB GP drives I ordered.. free shipping took 1 day. From LA to Sacramento to San Ramon to my house.

I swear I remember reading something about NewEgg using UPS Ground as 3 Day because they had some kind of presorting or something they did that cut a day off the typical delivery time, but now I can't find any mention of anything like that
all I could find was this on newegg "Orders shipping via UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service may ship via UPS Ground if UPS can guarantee a ground delivery to your shipping address in 3 or fewer days."

UPS 3 Day Select
UPS 3 Day Select is the smart choice for time-sensitive packages on a cost-sensitive budget. Guaranteed Three-day Delivery. UPS 3 Day Select® offers the ideal mix of economy and guaranteed on-time delivery. Guaranteed delivery within three business days to and from every U.S. address in the 48 contiguous states

Looks like they can send it anyway they want as long as it gets there in 3 days after UPS receives the package.

You are always welcome to whine ockie (it's good to be king ;-) ), but any of us who regularly use Newegg would have been happy to tell you that their 3 day shipping is ground service and not select.

Moved to [H]D Discussions which is one of the few places on the forums where you can get away with bitching about retailers ;)

You think that's bad. I just got a new x25-e 64 and this is how it arrived:

IMG00071.jpg

You don't think a drive that cost over $800 deserves a little better protection? What if it was a diamond ring tossed in an envelope like that, knowing how ground crews treat everything?

Yeah just know how and what you order. For instance I just ordered a 16gb sdhc and I used the egg saver. Figured they cannot destroy that.

No moving parts. Nothing wrong with that.

It works doesn't it? That's all that matters.

dragon.jpg

Also has no moving parts...

I've not opened it yet as I've not decided I want to keep it and place long term trust on it. Is this standard procedure for the very expensive SSD's? All the others I've bought are the x25-m's and they've come in regular boxes surrounded by packing paper or peanuts.

glad I've never had a pad product from Newegg, nor have I ever had bad packaging/shipping.

dragon.jpg

I've not opened it yet as I've not decided I want to keep it and place long term trust on it. Is this standard procedure for the very expensive SSD's? All the others I've bought are the x25-m's and they've come in regular boxes surrounded by packing paper or peanuts.

That is fragile. The drive is not. Ram comes the same way but is far more fragile than a SSD drive. It's just not something I would worry about.
If the case isn't cracked then you're fine. If it's going to break it's going to do so as soon as you use it. There just isn't anything in there to wear down in the long term as there is with standard drives. It's just flash memory. It's not heavy.

Besides, there is a return policy, there is a warranty. I just wouldn't even be worried let along bothered by that.

Last edited:
i get newegg 3day shipping all the time, and it always takes 4 days. never once did i think to worry about it though... as far as ground service, if i rather have it on a plane i get the delivery option with the word "air" or "express" in it.

That is fragile. The drive is not. Ram comes the same way but is far more fragile than a SSD drive. It's just not something I would worry about.
If the case isn't cracked then you're fine. If it's going to break it's going to do so as soon as you use it. There just isn't anything in there to wear down in the long term as there is with standard drives. It's just flash memory. It's not heavy.

Besides, there is a return policy, there is a warranty. I just wouldn't even be worried let along bothered by that.

while all that is true, the guy did spend over $800, and for that you would think a reputable company would spend at least $2 on the packaging.

My X25-E came packaged similarly from newegg, the box wasn't damaged, nor was the drive (dents, cracks, etc...). Working fine.

while all that is true, the guy did spend over $800, and for that you would think a reputable company would spend at least $2 on the packaging.

I have to agree with this. Sometimes going a little out of the way makes a HUGE difference. I have been treated excellent by a few companies and I will shop with them even if I have to pay a few bucks more just because they do go above and beyond. Shipping isn't just a quick add on to the tale. It's a big part of the ordering experience.

Sure they could have added more packaging. Though I believe it's fine as is, but whatever.

It doesn't change the fact that he has the drive and as soon as he plugs it in he can verify it is functioning.

Ockie... you do know the reason they call it 3-day is they have shipping centers spread out so that you do actually get the package in 3 days 99% of the time because the shipping center is within ground-range of 3 days

But I've had stuff come from TN (I'm in WA) and it was sent true 3-day because I received it before a ground package from CA. (Although both showed up within 3-days, the TN package was more like 2day)
It's free shipping ;) Can't have it everything

It sucks they do try to make you think it is "true" 3day air...

dragon.jpg

failboatjpg.jpg

If it's shipped UPS Ground, Air or anything, it's shipped through the exact same methods. If it's air it just rides in the sky instead of on a railroad or on a big truck.

Whats wrong with that packaging? That's how i would personally ship a package myself, and have. And yes, i always get positive heat on my packaging.

nor have I ever had bad packaging/shipping.
If you've received an oem hard drive wrapped in bubble wrap and thrown into a box of peanuts then you've had bad packaging/shipping ;). Yes, that's the wrong way to ship a drive, unless you layer the bubble wrap 4 or 5 times maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back