Newegg Open Box?

Exar Jun

Weaksauce
Is New Egg still usually sending a complete retail package with their open box product? I used to order alot of my stuff open box and it almost always came with everything that was in the retail box? I want to order a p5b delux wifi since it is 50$ off.

Exar Jun said:
Is New Egg still usually sending a complete retail package with their open box product? I used to order alot of my stuff open box and it almost always came with everything that was in the retail box? I want to order a p5b delux wifi since it is 50$ off.

It honestly depends on the item, and I mean the individual item. Most open box items are customer returns and USUALLY said customer will return the item with all packaging and accessories intact - but not always. You could be that 1 person in 20 that doesn't get all the goodies, and that's the risk you take buying an open box item from the egg. This is why you see the standard disclaimer with any open box item.

That is what I figured...I am not scared since I have always problem free orders with newegg open box.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, every single open box or refurb item I've bought from Newegg has arrived in retail packaging with all of the original accessories. :)

And I have a nasty newegg habit so I order from there often. :D

Fuck Newegg refurbs. I normally don't have a problem with open box/refurbs, but in Newegg's case, you're seriously throwing the dice. Last motherboard I received with a screw and a washer stuck in one of the holes, and of course, the board was dead. However, it just illustrates that Newegg clearly just takes the returns and ships them right back out again.

that's why when you send something back to newegg, be honest. if its DOA make sure you tell them or else they will re-sell it because they do not test their returns. i just ordered an open boxed motherboard, i hope its not DOA and comes with SOMETHING.

Agreed that someone should let newegg know when they rma a fried part...but I have never got a doa from open box.

annaconda said:
Well you don;t think that they check and make sure every thing is alright.

No, but they could at least *look at it.* As it works now, I bet I could buy a mobo, take a dump in the box, put the mobo on top and mail it back and the next guy will get a pile of shit with a mobo on top.

matt fury said:
No, but they could at least *look at it.* As it works now, I bet I could buy a mobo, take a dump in the box, put the mobo on top and mail it back and the next guy will get a pile of shit with a mobo on top.

I'm pretty sure they pop open the box and look to see if the "main" peice is in there. Otherwise I would send back a box full of blocks and get a refund for a motherboard. (Hmmm wonder fi my son would miss his alphablocks.) They probably just don't have the time to look up the part and compare the items listed are the items in the box.

Anyway this is what is stated on the bottom of Newegg's open-box page.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/CategoryList.asp?Type=OPENBOX&name=Open-Box

Important: Please read the following before you proceed

Newegg.com does not test any product, including open box items. Open Box components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS. OPEN BOX products contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

Newegg.com guarantees all open box products for 15 days. CPUs, however, must be returned within 7 days for refund. All open box merchandise should be considered OEM "barebone" parts. Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, no other accessories. Despite what the product's description indicates, open box merchandise may not include all of the accessories mentioned on our website or the manufacturers. Newegg.com is therefore limited to the barebone part of the item itself. Please do not be upset or surprised if a open box product does not contain any cables, manual, software, drivers, fan, et al. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if it is an essential part.

Newegg.com certainly does not like to discourage sales, but only experienced pc enthusiasts should consider open box items that know how to deal with possibly missing accessories. Please only purchase open box products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to obtain missing accessories.

Open Box items are not for dealers. We therefore reserve the right to cancel any applicable orders which may violate this warning. We are simply discouraging those who want to take advantage of this program as it is aimed towards the end user.

Open Box products do have considerable higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.
PRODUCT REVIEWS502,363+ View nowTESTIMONIALSThe Best!

12/18/2006 4:03PM

I ordered two of the exact same Asus motherboards from the egg - open box - and one came with everything except some SATA cables and the i/o shield and the other was just the board itself, so YMMV definitely. Oh, and both boards worked just fine after a bios flash to the most recent version.

ryan_975 said:
I'm pretty sure they pop open the box and look to see if the "main" peice is in there. Otherwise I would send back a box full of blocks and get a refund for a motherboard. (Hmmm wonder fi my son would miss his alphablocks.) They probably just don't have the time to look up the part and compare the items listed are the items in the box.

Anyway this is what is stated on the bottom of Newegg's open-box page.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/CategoryList.asp?Type=OPENBOX&name=Open-Box

Yeah, I'm sure they verify that resembles the product is in the box, but nothing more than that. I'd be willing to bet you could return a different card alltogether and it wouldn't be noticed.

And they have significantly "upgraded" the warning from the past, I believe.

YMMV. Unlike Blue Falcon, I have had the exact opposite luck with Newegg Open Box items; every single one of them has been the main item only. No I/O shield, not cables, manuals or CD's...

I don't mind that if the cost difference is enough to warrant the decision but I generally don't mind paying $10 more to guarantee I get everything in the box. The one time I ordered open box motherboards, I saved about $25 off retail and then ended up paying $15 to have an I/O shield shipped from the manufacturer. Meh.

Not at all upset though, it's all in the BIG BOLD PRINT that says the item may not include everything. :) Just keep in mind that ymmv.

I've had a few things come in retail, usually it's just the product. Got a great deal on a p5b deluxe for $123 that was DOA. :rolleyes:

Orinthical said:
YMMV. Unlike Blue Falcon, I have had the exact opposite luck with Newegg Open Box items; every single one of them has been the main item only. No I/O shield, not cables, manuals or CD's...
Same here. Fortunately, Biostar and Asus are very helpful. I've gotten both of them to supply the I/O shield and some random in-box items (SPDIF adapter, etc) for free.

Orinthical said:

Same here. I've ordered two or three open box motherboards from the Egg and they all were the bare motherboard ONLY. One of them was DOA as well.

matt fury said:

If my board arrives with a big nasty corn filled crap in it then you owe me buddy! :D

btell74 said:
If my board arrives with a big nasty corn filled crap in it then you owe me buddy! :D

Relax, don't worry....................I don't like corn. :D

I have bought 2 open box motherboards from the egg. Both have came in a white box, wrapped in antistatic with NONE of the extra stuff. Then again, I am a very unlucky guy so take it for what you will.

I have ordered a couple "refurb" (as they used to call them)or "open box "items

. A motherboard to replace one that died, it was a bare board in a white box no accessories, it is still working.

And most recently an Asus T2 P Terminator Barebone. I was a little nervous on this one as the last review had stated theirs was DOA and there is many things that could be broken/missing. It came in the original box and was resealed with Asus tape that said "if seal is broken check contents before accepting from shipper". Of course when it arrived I immediatly stuck in a processor, the included hsf ,that still had used paste on it, and ram to see if it would post, which is did ,and I was so happy.

I probably wouldn't have bought this if they would have had new ones ,but it had free shipping, and 478 stuff is getting harder to find.

elfletcho said:
I have bought 2 open box motherboards from the egg. Both have came in a white box, wrapped in antistatic with NONE of the extra stuff. Then again, I am a very unlucky guy so take it for what you will.
+1

ive had many things from them come like this. I just thought all open box's come with nothing

I bought two of the P5B deluxe wifi boards you're looking at. Both came in white box, NO accessories (no backplate, no wifi antenna if that matters to you, no cables or disc). The first one was DOA, as it had freaking thermal paste IN the socket (rather, in the pins since it's an LGA board). Guess previous buyer just put the plastic socket protector back on and RMA'ed it, and then I got it :mad:

Second one is working fine now. Still no accessories though :p

As someone said, you're throwing dice.

Every open box motherboard I've purchased from newegg (not to mention a couple of cheap video cards) arrived doa.

After that experience I never buy open box or refurbed. You get what you pay for. I've heard of some who's gotten great deals with the open boxes, but many people got screwed in the process... sure you can return to exchange, but your eating shipping costs and delaying your build.

Message heard...Ima just spend the extra 50 to make sure I get everything with my p5b wifi. I will need all of the parts as this is going in my main rig. I can deal with open box if it wasn't

what's the best way to get the manufactor to send you the I/O shield and other accesories? call, email? i emailed asrock asking for an I/o sheild and they said $5 shipped.

zombeh said:
what's the best way to get the manufactor to send you the I/O shield and other accesories? call, email? i emailed asrock asking for an I/o sheild and they said $5 shipped.

I think you answered your own question. :p I don't believe it matters how you contact them, they'll gladly take your credit card number either way. :)

I've never had a problem buying open box items. Everything I've gotten has worked fine (motherboards, video cards, even RAM :eek: ). I normally don't get any of the accessories. In fact out of everything I've got, maybe 1 had the retail accessories but that wasn't in the retail box.

i buy lots of open box mobo's from them, only problem was that one of them that was stated to have a CPU with it did not, but it was also stated that only the accessories that were returned with them will be sent to me.. so its a non-issue!

go for it, within-reason newegg will try their best to fix any problems you might have!

Well the second P5b deluxe I ordered works like a charm. Used it in a folding rig, pentium d 915 @ 4ghz (toned back to 3.8 right now because it's hot as hell in that room, damn lack of winter in Houston). But yeah, very stable board. On this one, the damn PWMIC heatsink (attached to the heatpipe from the northbridge) wasn't attached to the board fully, but that took minimal time to fix. Other than that, thing was flawless.

ryan_975 said:
Actually it'll be $50. $5 for the part, $35 for the service charge, and most likely $10 for shipping.

That is the stupidest service policy I've ever seen.

ryan_975 said:
Actually it'll be $50. $5 for the part, $35 for the service charge, and most likely $10 for shipping.
Those charges are only for warranty service, not for parts.

I have gotten an open box motherboard and a video card form Newegg and both came in factory boxes with eveything and the motherboard was still sealed from factory,,so it is kind of a crap shoot. :rolleyes: Oh and both have been working great.

I purchased an open box.... ... wait this is the WRONG FORUM to be discussing shipping experiences and policies used by online companies. This is the forum for hotdeals.

Moderators please move this to the correct forum.

I dunno about open box, but on refurbished units, only the unit comes. I bought at least 4 video cards and 2 or 3 motherboards. They all came with no accessories.

asrock sales rep said:
sales rep from asrock----- Original Message -----
To: ME
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: RE:I/O shield (ASROCK)

Dear Sir,

Please contact your vender for RMA service, thanks.
ASRock provide 1-year warranty service to Authorized Distributor ONLY, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy.

If you like to purchase I/O shield from us,

it will be $5.00/each shipped and please send the check or money order to the following address:

ASRock America
13848 Magnolia Ave.
Chino, CA 91710
Attn: Sales Dept.

We will ship it out by USPS regular mail within a week when receiving your check.
Please also mention what kind the model of the motherboard you have and your shipping address. Thanks.

http://www.asrockamerica.com/endsuer.htm

Best Regards

Sales Department

so i responded

my response said:
Those charges are only for warranty service, not for parts. i find this to be ridiculous and i am no longer a satisfied customer. i really don't want to stop buying your products and recommending them over something that should be waived. I've never had an issue with other motherboard manufactorer's such as ASUS for a free replacement part. what happened to the good customer service?

Back